5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 2:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Video Selection in [not Photoshop] Premiere Elements 10

PopPop Don

In Premiere Elements 10 is there a way to select just a person in a video so I can copy them to another video (or can I change the background to green)?

• 1. Re: Video Selection in Photoshop Elements 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PopPop Don

I would say No, but....

If the background of the original video is solid color, you could always use the Edit/Effects/Video Effects/Keying/Chroma Key to convert the solid color background of the original video to transparency (represented in Premiere Elements as black) and then place a green matte on the track directly below the video to which the Chroma Key has been applied.

There is also the Difference Matte under keying which may or may not be difficult to work with.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Difference Matte As Substitute for Green or Blue Screen Key

If you are looking for selection of an individual in a video to offer flexible backgrounds, then please consider beforehand recording the individual with green screen recording techniques and then green screen video on Video 2 and replacement background on Video 1.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On....Important to mention, Chroma Key, Green Screen Key, Blue Screen Key are Windows Only. So, if you are thinking Premiere Elements 10 Mac, you may be confined to Videomerge and Difference Matte.

• 2. Re: Video Selection in [not Photoshop] Premiere Elements 10
            PopPop Don Level 1

Thank you for the fast response. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to play with PE and I swore I saw a YouTube video a while back showing how to do it.

I guess this old man is starting to have memory issues J  Thanks again - Don.

• 3. Re: Video Selection in [not Photoshop] Premiere Elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for the reply.

In the light of day I will do some online checking. Do you recall any mention of Track Matte or green screen in this how to that you are recalling?

How long ago did you think you saw this YouTube video?

Until proven otherwise, I staying with my No, but I will try to find what you remember seeing.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video Selection in [not Photoshop] Premiere Elements 10
                PopPop Don Level 1

Hi! Thanks for the email.

I’m pretty sure you’re right because I’ve searched for days with no good results.

My wife picked up Photoshop Elements 10 and Premier Elements 10 for me on closeout about 2 ½ - 3 yrs ago.

That’s when I started looking around for How-To’s and demos. I would’ve sworn that I remembered a YouTube video

Where the guy used a tool similar to the magic wand tool to select himself out of a video of him in an office setting.

I don’t recall ever hearing about Track Matte, and I don’t know if green screen was mentioned although I am familiar with the principles of use.

It’s been probably 3 years since I was really into it, but now I have two young grandkids and my movie making interest has been renewed.

I’ve looked through my notes and searched the internet quite a bit, so I say your answer is most likely correct.

Just because of my persistence (retired desktop/workstation support guy) I’m sure I’ll keep looking too.

Don’t waste time on it, but if you find something, please give me a shout.

If I find something, I’ll be sure to let you know as well.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

Don Glassmeyer

• 5. Re: Video Selection in [not Photoshop] Premiere Elements 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Glassmeyer

Thanks for the reply.

With mention of magic wand tool, that has got to be Photoshop Elements. Once you have created such a selection on a transparent background in Photoshop Elements, you can save the file as a .png or .psd and import that into Premiere Elements, maintaining the transparency in the import. That is fine for a still, but when you extend that to video that is another story.

But, we will both keep watching for some selection opportunities in Premiere Elements workflow moving forward.

ATR