2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 10:00 AM by Ziji Man

Change color of single objects on film

Ziji Man Level 1

For a project I am working on, I need to able to change the color of objects individually. A person is moving through the shot, and I would like certain objects in the street to change color as he goes by them. I have tried different tools that change one color in the WHOLE shot to another color, but that won't work here. I am trying to change the color of individual objects at key moments in the shot.

I could easily do this with Photoshop, but it's time consuming and I'm pretty sure Premiere Pro or After Effects can do this much quicker.

Please offer any suggestions. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Change color of single objects on film
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest thing to do would be to use the new Effect Masking and Tracking  in CC 14 and the feature that allows you to apply an effect to a mask area. The other option would be to duplicate the  footage layer so you have one copy for every item you want to change, roto the individual items, and then apply color effects to each of the duplicates. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then research Rotobrush and study up. If you have CC 14 then watch this great tutorial by my friend Stu Maschwitz. He is using Colorista and Magic Bullet Looks but the technique would do just exactly what you want to do using other color effects.

Red Giant - RGTV

• 2. Re: Change color of single objects on film
            Ziji Man Level 1

Rick, thanks for your response, I do understand what your saying. I suppose I could use corner pinning on the moving objects, even though most of the shot is static. Should be fun, thanks again!