4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 5:39 PM by A.T. Romano

When I try to import an AVI file from my camera I get an error saying file not supported or required codec not installed

sojo314

When I try to import an AVI file from my camera I get an error saying file not supported or required codec not installed.  I am using Premiere Elements 12 - the manual says it supports AVI files.  I have DivX Codec.  Why can't I import this video?

Thanks,

SoJo314

Also . . . how do you find an email directly to Tech Support?

• 1. Re: When I try to import an AVI file from my camera I get an error saying file not supported or required codec not installed
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sojo314

Just a reminder. This is not Adobe. User to User.

I can give you a link to Adobe via its Adobe Chat whose representative can advise you of your troubleshooting opportunities from Adobe.

You need to be careful for your choices, since most bounce you back to the forums. Right now the link that should be showing

Chat

and

Ask the Community

is only offering Ask the Community

Contact Customer Care

AVI is just the container/wrapper format that wraps the compression. Some video compression that may be supported may not be supported when it comes wrapped in a particular format. For example, AVCHD is a supported video codec. AVI is a supported file wrapper. But, AVCHD.avi is not supported by Premiere Elements.

Other .avi files that are problematic for Premiere Elements

Xvid.avi (you would never want to use that in a Premiere Elements project)

DviX.avi, problems but probably to a lesser extent that Xvid.

MotionJPEG.avi

Some have downloaded and exported the DivX codec so that it would show up in the choice of video codec for an .avi export and have had some success with that on the export side.

And, factor into all this is the possibility of the codec being installed but not recognized by Premiere Elements (any version).

I will look into your specific situation if you give the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded your video. Is what you are trying to import into Premiere Elements raw footage from the camera? Or, have you converted the raw footage from the camera prior to importing it into Premiere Elements? I have not run into a camera that records DivX.avi as suggested by your introductory details.

Add On....I do not see Xvid nor DivX video compression as supported by Premiere Elements.

From a computer perspective, you might want to download and install the codec utility named GSpot and see what the file readout shows for Video Name, Codec, Status as well as Audio Name, Codec, Status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

We will looking  forward to your follow up when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: When I try to import an AVI file from my camera I get an error saying file not supported or required codec not installed
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>AVI file from my camera

One... please provide brand/model camera information

Two... AVI is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Three... no direct email that I know of

Select a topic, then click I STILL NEED HELP to start Premiere Elements Online chat

-http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements

Added... ATR beat me to the post reply button by a few seconds!

• 3. Re: When I try to import an AVI file from my camera I get an error saying file not supported or required codec not installed
              sojo314 Level 1

Thank you so much for your replies.  The following is further information I should have included the first time . . . sorry.

The camera is a Canon Powershot SD750

I am unsure if I am answering the question about what is inside the AVI file correctly but the entire file name is MVI_0245.avi

The video system on the camera that was used to record is: NTSC if that is important.

My computer is running Windows 7.  The video will play in Windows Media Player, the mini player within the Elements Organizer and loaded to the Organizer just fine.

I read a toubleshooting page that said downloading the DivX codec can help sometimes with AVI files.  So I downloaded it and the video plays just fine in the DivX player as well.

So, I am not having any issues playing the video.  I am having issues importing it from the organizer, my computer, and directly from the memory card to Premiere Elements 12 wherein I get the error "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

Although I know how to print screen and insert images, I am unable to do so here.  So, I will type in the pertinent info from Media Info:

Format:  AVI

Format/Info: Audio Video Interleave

File Size: 861 MiB

Duration: 7mn 50s

Overall bit rate: 15.2 Mbps

Writing Application: CanonMVI06

Video:

ID: 0

Format: JPEG

Coded ID: MJPG

Width: 640 Pixels

Height: 480 Pixels

Display aspect: 4:3

Frame Rate: 30.000 fps

Color Space: YUV

Chroma Subsampling: 4:2:2

Bit Depth: 8 bits

Scan Type: Interlaced

Compression Mode: Lossy

Bits/(Pixel *Frame): 1.588

Stream Size: 821 MiB 95%

Audio:

ID:1

Format: PCM

Format settings, Endianness: Little

Format settings, Sign: Signed

Codec ID: 1

Duration: 7 mn 50s

Bit Rate Mode: Constant

Bit Rate: 705.6 Kbps

Channel(s): 1 Channel

Sampling Rate: 44.1 KHz

Bit depth: 16 bits

Stream Size: 39.6 MiB (5%)

Alignment Aligned on Interleaves

Interleave, duration: 999 ms (29.98 video frames)

Interleave, preload duration: 1000 ms

That's it . . . I hope this information helps you let me know if I will be able to edit this video on Premiere Elements 12 and/or what I need to do to be able to and if not . . . do you have suggestions on what program I should use to edit these types of videos.

Thank you again so much for your help and information.

SoJo314

• 4. Re: When I try to import an AVI file from my camera I get an error saying file not supported or required codec not installed
                A.T. Romano Level 7

sojo314

The DivX video codec has nothing to do with this matter.

But, your answer is in the information you sent...in a word (or two), the MotionJPEG video codec Premiere Elements (any version) issue...

The possible choices for resolution of the issue

a. If a utility came with the camera, installation of it may provide the necessary MotionJPEG codec.

b. Download and install a MotionJPEG codec from online, frequently used one is the Morgan MotionJPEG codec. It may be available elsewhere as well.

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/morgan/php/products.php?sProductId=4&sProductSub=download s

Suggest looking at the tryout first.

c. Convert the MotionJPEG.avi to DV AVI using a 3rd party converter. MPEG Streamclip is an excellent choice. Please let me know if you need the setting for this.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

We will be watching for your follow up. In this type of matter, it is a toss up between codec not being installed and Premiere Elements not having the codec available to it.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR