3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 12:15 PM by bogiesan

lightsaber white backround trouble

starwarsfanboy

Hello, Im currently working on a starwars movie with my friends and i ran into some trouble with the lightsabers. You see my friend is wearing a white robe being a jedi and The the light is a little bright on his clothing. This is a problem because it blends with the lightsabers white backround and you cannot see the lightsaber or the color when its over his body. They sort of blend together. Which, i dont get at all because they are supposed to be different layers right? can anyone help me with this problem? I would be very gratefull and im open to any ideas at the moment.

Thanks, John.

• 1. Re: lightsaber white backround trouble
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can say anything. We know nothing about how your footage actually looks, what version of AE you use, what system and so on. that aside, I smell a fundamental lack of the meaning of  Add blending mode here and how it actually works. They may promise that on commercials for washing agents, but you can't have "whiter than white" in compositing. Just because the white disappears doesn't mean there is genuine transparency and that's where your whole plan falls apart. You need to create genuine transparency by unmultiplying whatever you have (on a black background, no less) or constructing it with proper tranbsparency in the first place...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: lightsaber white backround trouble
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will have to color correct the white robe so that is is dark enough to see the brightest part of the light sobers glow. Simple as that. There is no brighter than white unless you are working in float. Change the project to 32 bit color, apply levels to the footage to bring down the whites, use the add blend mode. That's about all you can do unless you can post  a frame of your shot so we can come up with other ideas.

• 3. Re: lightsaber white backround trouble
              bogiesan Level 4

I will also suggest you do more homework and prepare to reshoot some of your footage.

There are literally tens of thousands of Star Wars fan videos on the interwebs and some of the better clips have how-to stories and help files. You can also find extensive, professional-grade tutorials for light saber effects on many After Effects tutorial sites. While it phases in and out of popularity, creating light saber duels a very hot topic.

Try to have fun. If you shoot your video properly, AE will make it happen for you but it's not magic. There are fundamental technical limits and specifications AE requires.