28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 7:17 AM by ECBowen

What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Terry Quinn

I just purchased a new Hewlett Packard Z230 Workstation with the intent to catch up on a big backlog (hundreds of hours) of family videos I want to clean up and edit.  This computer is configured as follows:

Intel I7 4770 Quad Core running 3.4 GHz (showing 8 processors in control panel/system/processor)

16 GB ram

256 GB solid state C: drive

3 TB   7,200 rpm D: Drive

nVidia Quadro K2000 video card with 2 GB video ram

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

When I bought this, I planned on using Cyberlink PowerDirector because they advertised it to run well with the features on this computer.  I downloaded a trial version of Power Director, and it met my functional needs.  But it locked up three times in an hour.  When I wrote Cyberlink, they asked for information like the DxDiag.txt file that describes my computer, and the Windows Event logs of the lockups.  Their response was BAFFLING, because they said they design their software for "consumer level platforms," and since they don't test their software on "workstations," they cannot recommend my using it on the Z230.

That said, I'm now looking for alternate software.  I've used Pinnacle a lot in the past, but it has changed so much from the version I used, I'm not wed to any brand at this point.  In addition to usual editing capability, I want to verify that the software I buy has some specific capabilities I need: 

-- Ability to crop video clips and expand the remaining cropped scene back to 16:9 (because I have some incroachment in some video clips from the lens hood of a camera).

-- Ability to normalize audio levels for different clips (some too loud or too quiet) before producing the video. 

-- Desired, not required:  Ability to burn BluRay or DVD on a separate computer than the one where I am editing.

Most, if not all, editing software has these abilities now (PowerDirector and Pinnacle do), so this shouldn't be a problem, but I just want to check.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry Quinn

• 1. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The DX diag is your Direct X support. Pinnacle is telling you that Quadro card is not supported by their software which makes sense. Quadro cards focus on Open GL and not Direct X. Geforce cards are what you want for Direct X. If you had a 750Ti or 760GTX card then you likely would not have any or near as many problems.

Adobe Premiere elements or Premiere itself would be an alternate solution. Premiere would perform far better than the other 2 but you have the subscription model. You may want to take a look at Sony Vegas Studio as well. That would be far better than Pinnacle and have better performance. Although that Quadro K2000 wont perform well with that either.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do not want to rent Premiere Pro, you may still buy the perpetual license Creative Suite 6

Just be aware that CS6 is 2+ years old and no longer being updated with new features or to work with newer video formats

If you want to spend under $100 Premiere Elements may work... http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/content

• 3. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
              Terry Quinn Level 1

EC,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

Pinnacle is my old software that I'm not using anymore.  The Cyberlink PowerDirector trial version is what locked up on the new computer.  Cyberlink in their promotions says that they benefit from OpenCL, as well as other features from the configuration of the computer I had, which is why I was looking at it.  

If I go with Premier Elements, will that derive any performance benefit from the Quadro card's OpenCL?

John T, thanks for your input also. 

It sounds like I should consider Premier Elements as an option.

Terry

• 4. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                JFPhoton Level 3

Terry,

You may just want to take advantage of your fast CPU and go a little further to create a fast and effective system for your needs. As Eric said...replace the GPU with a suitable NVidia GeForce card, like he recommends. Then, make the 3TB drive your BACKUP drive......holding all your media files and everything needed for backup. Install a fast SSD, (a 500GB or 1TB Samsung Pro series,or, Crucial M550 ), as your "D" drive...or, "working drive" to take advantage of the over 500MB per second transfer rate PLUS lower latency vs. the slower HDD. Place copies of the media files and you project files on "D" to edit from.....speeding everything up.THEN, go ahead and use PPro 2014 Creative Cloud to do all you need.......ya might as well go all the way in, and not just HALF WAY !!!

• 5. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Sorry about that. I meant Cyberlink on the DX diag part but referenced Pinnacle because that was mentioned after. Either way the Open CL acceleration is different than Direct X and that is what they were asking for. The  Quadro K2000 would not be a good card for the Open CL acceleration because the specs are so poor when compared to the Geforce cards I mentioned. The Open CL acceleration may be causing the lock ups but their support was referencing Direct X which must be what their using for the API ie interface and drawing out frames on your monitor.

Elements doesn't have Open CL but Vegas Studio does. That is why I mentioned it as an alternative but also warned it would not perform that well with the Quadro K2000.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                    Terry Quinn Level 1

I wish I had known to come hear you guys before I started buying a new computer a couple of months ago.  This is the kind of information I was trying to get to make these decisions.  Problem is that now I've made an investment, but if there were huge gains to make to revise it, I will. 

Erik:  Cyberlink specs call for the OpenCL architecture.  They also do recommend the GeForce ("or higher") cards.  If I could find a way to sell my almost new K2000 Quadro, I might change.  For all I read before, I thought that the Quadro would be superior.

But I'm not focusing on matching up to Cyberlink anymore because of their lockups.  It might be that changing video cards might solve their lockup problem, but that then becomes an experiment that I don't have the hardware to test. (I do have a GeForce card in my old XP computer, but that is 11 years old, and doesn't have anything like a gig of memory, so it is doubtful that it is what we are talking about now).

JF, this remains a hobby, and I'm retired, so while I'd like to go to the very high end, I cannot justify it.  But I still have over 100GB left on my SS C: drive.  Wouldn't that with the 16GB of memory be enough to keep things running pretty fast?  The biggest project that I can see happening will probably be 30-35 GB in size (clip files).

So assuming I were going back to purchase Premier Elements, what does it like for a computer configuration?  It's probably said in all the discussion above, but there is a lot of other mixed in information there.  Is Elements happy with the Quadro?

Thanks,

Terry

• 7. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Open CL is a GPU acceleration model. That means any video card that supports Open CL and has the minimum amount of ram to handle the buffering can be used to process certain aspects of the data sent by the application. In the case of media applications that data is frame data. this often speeds up the realtime playback and export time making it easier for some systems to handle that media in those applications. Applications that do have GPU acceleration often far outperform the media applications that don't. So normally you want to consider those first. However GPU acceleration models such as Open CL are implemented by application designers specifically to their application. In other words Open CL is not vanilla and always implemented the same with the same performance. There are allot of issues that can occur with GPU acceleration due to how it  works with the different hardware components including CPU, Ram, and video card. This can often show itself as application or system crashes.

Adobe Elements does not use GPU acceleration like Cyberlink, Vegas, or Premiere. The system you have would be fine as is for work with Elements. Since this is a hobby it would be worth checking out the trial. Vegas Studio also has a trial and would be worth looking at to.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                        Terry Quinn Level 1

Cyberlink has contacted me and is wanting to investigate the freeze-ups.  They suggest one thing to try is to "temporarily disable" the Quadro video and run off of the native Intel video on the mainboard.  They also have requested my entire fileset. 

• 9. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Some boards allow you to switch the graphics in the system to the Intel CPU graphics without removing the card. If not you will have to remove the card from the system to do this. Last time I checked the HP boards bios were rather limited in options.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Terry,

Sounds like a ton of frustration!

My comments:

• You say you have hundreds hours of family videos; you need a professional level solution, or you will be driven simply mad!
                            • I suggest buying Premiere Pro CS6 (expensive, but permanent license) or renting Premiere Pro CC (monthly subscription model). These both fully use your hardware (cpu, memory, GPU, and drives together) for the best possible editing experience - I highly recommend choosing one of the two options and not looking back. With that many hours of video you will want to have a rig that edits fine without having to render every timeline over and over again just to playback and scrub smoothly.

[sidebar: I do not work for Adobe, I do not do this professionally, and I have been doing photo and video editing as a consumer for over 30 years though. Ad over those years, I have had a chance to try a lot of different hardware and software solutions (yup, Panasonic / Sony deck-to-deck linear editing on Hi8, VHS, SVHS, then Pinnacle and Matrox hardware assisted PC solutions ($1000 boards added to PCs to handle DV and SD non-linear editing), and for the last decade using Pinnacle / Avid / Liquid / Premiere / Vegas software only solutions]
                            • Your system is pretty solid, except for the video card (dump the Quadro and get a NVidia GTX 770 2GB card). Adding a matching 3TB HD and doing a 2x drive RAID 0 set would give you a lot more speed and capacity too in the drive area and is an upgrade that I would suggest as well. You do have a lot of video indeed!

You absolutely need to mention what your media here to get the best advice.  Are you using editing DV, AVCHD, Hi8, etc.? This is very important to determine the level of CPU, GPU, and drive speed that fits your need best. Not all video is alike, and consumer HD (AVCHD) is radically more taxing on a PC than mini-DV for example. Since you say you have hundreds of hours of video, I will assume that you are not into 4k yet!

Regards,

Jim

• 11. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                              Terry Quinn Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for the recommendations.

You'll get a kick out of this.  I started with a Betamovie in 1984, switched to Hi8 in 1993, and D8 in 2005.  My initial editing was from one beta VCR to another one.   Then I bought a good Sony TR101 Hi8 camcorder, and soon bought a $1,300 EV-S3000 Sony Hi8 VCR that connected to the TR101 by wire, which gave some syncronization of the linear edits (about plus or minus 3 frames when it was happy).  In 2004 I bought a powerful (for then) computer and Pinacle Studio 9, which with some upgrades is still what I've edited with until now.  Some of all three formats of video have been digitized (or downloaded from the D8) as .avi using various hardware.  I expect to complete all of that as .avi.

I've just bought a new Panasonic HC-X920 camcorder (very nice) that produces files in .m2ts, which I think is AVCHD.  As you can probably tell from my history, that may prove to be my last camcorder purchase and format change.  I have no plans now to shoot 4k. 

I checked, and I've overstated the number of hours of video I have left to do.  I recorded just under 200 hours total in all three formats.  45 hours of that (the Beta) are fully edited, and about 22 hours of the Hi8 are finished.  So I'm looking at about 130 hours of video I still need to edit, plus whatever I shoot in HD going forward.

I appreciate what you say about stability.  I fought that with Pinacle 9, and frankly didn't change from that because I finally got it to run stably doing what I did for years.  (However recently it has started behaving badly again, which is another reason I'm upgrading). 

The Quardro came with the HP computer.  The Quadro and GeForce both are spec'd on nVidia's website, and I assumed that since its specs were higher than the GeForce and "matched" Cyberlink's specs for OpenCL, I would be better with the Quadro than the GeForce.  From what I'm hearing here and your recomendation, it sounds like I should sell the Quadro on Ebay and buy a GeForce.  In case I still might end up with Cyberlink, I'll run the card model you suggested by them and see if they "bless" it.

I know the HP computer supports RAID, because I've seen that come up during boot-up.  I always thought RAID was only about reliable backup.  Are you suggesting that if I put a second 3 TB hard drive in my computer, and somehow tie it into RAID, that will improve performance, too?

Terry

• 12. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                Terry Quinn Level 1

Jim,

You also said I would be better with a " NVidia GTX 770 2GB card."  Is that the same as this:  GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card …

I'm still confused between the relationship of nVideo and GeForce.  Are they one in the same?

This link suggests that there might be MORE THAN ONE VERSION, a regular and a "superclocked" with a cooler.  http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nvidia+geforce+gtx+770&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps &hvadid=31006940965&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7840142210461119624&hvpone=&hvptwo=& hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8nc7f8jfyf_b

If I order a new card, I want to be sure that I'm getting the correct one this time.

Terry

• 13. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Nvidia is the Design manufacturer of the GPU's for the Geforce and Quadro cards. The Video card manufacturers for the Geforce cards use the Nvidia Geforce GPU's on those cards. Nvidia is the Geforce chip manufacturer. I would suggest the 4GB version of the 770GTx if you are looking at that or the 760GTC card. The cost is close enough to justify the 4GB option. The Video card manufacturers often have several variations of the Geforce cards. So you will see higher clocked versions of the same card that give a small percentage boost in performance. However most of the time that percentage is small so it's not worth the trouble if you have an option to choose a version with greater Vram on the card.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                    Terry Quinn Level 1

Jim and Eric,

I reported the first card part number to Cyberlink to see if it is one of their "tested" GeForce cards. 

I haven't ignored your suggestion of buying the Adobe premiere software. But what little I did with the Cyberlink (before it locked up) seemed pretty good and met a couple of specific needs. 

I assume from yur comments, Jim, that you find Adobe Premier Pro to be stable.  That would be good.

If I go to Adobe now, I'll have to check if it does everything I need. Two things are of particular interest:

1.  I need the software to be able to crop off the edges of certian video clips, and re-expand what is left to 16x9 full frame.  I shot some important video that unfortunately got encroached by a too small lens hood, which looks goofy as the image stabilization has that hood moving into and out of the edge of the image.

2.  I also want software that will help me balance the volume levels between different clips.  Currently I do that manually, using a separate sound level meter program.  Very time intensive with Pinnacle 9.

Is it true that Adobe has a trial version.

Terry

• 15. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Yes Adobe has a trial version you can download from the website. You just have to create an Adobe account first.

Eric
                                      ADK

• 16. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                        Terry Quinn Level 1

Jim,

I've been away from this for a while because of other pressing obligations.  Since then I've gotten the Cyberlink PowerDirector to work without crashing, and it gives reasonable results.  But I would like to try Adobe Premier Pro CS6, as you suggested.  The only problem is finding out where to get it to download it, and what product I really need, and if there is anything else that is needed. I've found multiple links that say they lead to trial versions, but I'm not even sure what software or version of CS I want to get.  Some of these pages don't even mention a Pro version. 

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/suites-help.html

CS6 Trial Download - where can I find it?  leading to  . . .

Download CS6 products

And one site I came upon talk about the need to link to "creative content" so that I'll understand how to use the software. 

It seems that Adobe needs a nomenclature committee to clean up their branding. 

I'm wondering if I'm entering a region of overkill.

Terry

• 17. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                          Terry Quinn Level 1

Eric (or anyone else),

I'm getting around to replacing my nVideo Quadro K2000 video card with a GeForce GTX 760 or 770 with 4gb of ram, as has been suggested here.  I've seen 760/4gb cards for under $300, so unless someone thinks that the 770 is a lot better for video applications, I'll probably go the 760 route.

One of the things that concerns me is that almost all of these 760 cards on the market are overclocked, with big fans on them.  From what I've read, the memory is more important than speed for video editing, and the speed is more important for gaming, which I don't intend to do.  So it leaves two questions, if anyone knows the answer:

1.  Is there anything wrong with getting one of these overclocked boards?  If they generate a lot of heat that requires the cooling fans, that could be hard on the whole system.

2.  How loud are they?  (It just happens that the HP tower workstation I bought is extremely quite.  Are fan laden video cards (that are overclocked) annoyingly noisy?

Terry Quinn

• 18. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

All high end NVidia cards have cooling fans, even if they are not overclocked... read the user reviews for the specific brands & models you are considering to see how many people mention fan noise

I just built a new system with 5 case fans (1 front and 2 top and 1 rear and 1 side) and an NVidia card with 2 fans and my full tower is "reasonably" quiet since all of the case fans are low rpm

Samsung 840 Pro SSD to become Sata6 ???

• 19. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Most of the overclocked GPU's are only clocked 20 to 50MHz over the base clock speed. The difference is minimal and does not generate that much extra heat. The vram clocked higher will actually generate more performance and is likely to be clocked far higher than the GPU. That also doesn't generate as much heat. The cooling fans on the Geforce cards will fluctuate based on the heat generated at the card ie current temps. The Geforce cards are often pushed far less by GPU acceleration load currently because the GPu's can handle far more load than the CPU's can provide. This equates to far less heat on average which means far lower fan RPM's. BTW the GPU and Vram clock speed has considerable impact on GPU acceleration. I am not sure where you read otherwise but that is incorrect. Gaming has a similar process with regards to how the GPU's are used compared to GPU acceleration in the media content creation applications. Gaming actually puts greater load on the cards so the principles to the performance are similar as well.

Eric

ADK

• 20. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                                Terry Quinn Level 1

Eric and John,

Thanks for the additional information.  And Eric, if I was wrong on something in my post, I won't blame it on anything I read.  I could easily have drawn an erroneous conclusion from something I read, or just commentary here.

I'll stop worrying about fan speed.

My latest issue is that I called up the company that sold me the HP Z230, and asked them what they had with a GeForce processor.  They didn't have anything, but they looked at the specs of the GeForce GTX 760 installed in a NVidia card at

GeForce GTX 760 | Specifications | GeForce

and concluded that the card wouldn't fit (I'm trying to find out more details on that).  They also reported the HP Z230 workstation didn't have enough power, I assume because it has a 400w power supply, where GeForce recommends at least 500w.  The GeForce spec also says it draws 170w.

They didn't sell any GeForce cards, but instead they recommended an HP AMD FirePro W7000, which they say will fit.  It also uses nearly the power of the GTX 760 at <150 watts.  And it costs twice as much as the GeForce.  It does seem to have Directx and other capabilities, but from listening to prior discussion here, it sounds like not every Direct X is the same.  Any thoughts on the AMD card?

Setting aside the question of whether the card fits, Eric, do your comments above about the GeForce cards being "often pushed far less by GPU acceleration," and "This equates to far less heat on average," suggest that I might be okay to try it with the 400w power supply, or do I definitely need to change that also?

Terry

• 21. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

I build my own (last time I bought a ready made computer was back in the days of Premiere 6 and Win2000/XP) but it really sounds to me like HP made some "severe" design restrictions if you can't use a GTX card

That being said, you may just have to use "pretty much" what you have to be able to use your current case & power supply... since more capable GTX cards seem to be physically larger AND require more power

Right now, AMD cards do not perform as well as NVidia cards due the "head start" NVidia had in developing CUDA with Adobe... read articles at Tweakers Page

• 22. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Some have pushed the PSU requirements with the Geforce cards because they dynamically adjust power states based on load just like CPU's and system boards. However I don't recommend that and suggest asking if the HP reseller has any PSU options for the Z230. 400W wont work with that AMD card anymore than it would work with the 760GTX card. Also the AMD card wont have near the performance as the 760GTX card would with Adobe. This is where the T1 oem solutions can be a problem. They often use proprietary cases and PSU's which limit the upgrade options for all the hardware versus designing cases that offer standard ATX PSU options that can be purchased from retail.

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                                      Terry Quinn Level 1

I'll check with the retailer, but I just measured the power supply in the Z230, and its dimensions are the same if not slightly larger (deeper front to rear) than a 300w ATX PSU that I had laying around.  So fit shouldn't be a problem.  I'll check on an HP PSU anyway.

I also got additional feedback that their tech's original comment that the "size was too big to fit in the slots" was in error, they are only concerned about the power.  And I agree with you if the GTX takes too much, probably so will be the AMD card will also, and I've explained that to them.

Thanks again for your very helpful input.

Terry

• 24. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                                        Terry Quinn Level 1

The HP

Interesting:  HP specs on my computer say that the AMD W7000 can be used in this computer, but the HP specs say it requires that the 400 w power supply be used (which is what I have), but not the 320 watt option.  The same is said about a Quadro K3000 with 4gb of Graphics, which is also offered by HP, but that card also only draws 75 watts, Since we earlier concluded that the AMD7000 probably loads the power supply pretty similarly to the GTX760 with 4GB, and HP approves that, it might be worth it to try out the GeForce GTX 760 with 4GB, and see what happens.

I also think the reseller company just looked at the specs for that particular workstation that said it would only allow a 340 or 400 w psu.  But I've found a higher level HP workstation (Z420) that also uses a mini-tower case that looks similar to mine except that it has 3 drive bays (that much taller) that permits an optional 600w PSU, so I'm going to check with the reseller about that.  It should fit, unless it is higher and takes advantage of the extra height of the case.

• 25. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                                          Terry Quinn Level 1

This has turned into more than I had hoped, but with your help, I have an idea.

Up to now, I've been trying to confirm that either a generic or larger HP branded power supply will work in my HP Z230 so I could use the GeForce GTX 760 or 770.  But HP is not willing to stick their neck out about anything working with my workstation that isn't on its spec sheet (400w max), not even their own products. And there certainly is some risk that I buy a larger power supply, even from HP and the computer doesn't like it, or even turn it on.

But I've found an alternative, and I'd like to hear any ideas that any of you have about this, for or against.  GeForce makes a GTX650 processor, and some of the boards are populated with 4gb of GPU memory.  Cyberlink (at least) qualifies this board.  Adobe says this about their requirements.  They don't list this model in particular, but they do list earlier model GeForce cards for the CS6, which suggests that the GTX650 may be okay.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro

Here are the actual specs for the GTX 650:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/specifications

This isn't the GTX 760 or 770 that was recommended to me earlier in this discussion, but it has one significant benefit that right now cannot be overlooked:  In only needs a 400w power supply.  If you guys think this board will work well, it saves me a lot of time fighting the issues of replacing the power supply, that I may never be sure about.   I'd sure like to get this behind me and buy some software and start editing.

Any suggestions?  Does my idea make sense?

Thanks again for your help.

Terry

• 26. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

Look at the 750Ti instead.

Eric

ADK

• 27. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?
                                                              Terry Quinn Level 1

Eric, (or anyone),

For the GTX 750 Ti, I like the lower power requirements of a 300w psu.  But after searching three pages of hits on Google, and looking at Zotac's five products they offer with this processor, It sure looks like the GPU memory for a GTX 750 Ti is either 1Gb or 2Gb, I found nothing in the GTX 750 Ti with 4Gb.  I was able to find more than one source for a GTX 650 with 4Gb.

So that begs the question, which is better for the video editing application, a 4GB GTX 650, or a 2GB GTX 750 Ti?  Someone in this thread earlier recommended that it is worth getting the greater amount of memory.  But maybe there is a tradeoff somewhere else to justify the 750 Ti.

Anyone have an opinion on that?

Terry

• 28. Re: What software would you recommend for an HP Z230 Workstation?

The 4GB of Vram is only used when resolutions are greater than 1080. 2GB is more than enough for almost all the GPU accelerated applications. If the application doesn't have GPU acceleration then 2GB is far beyond what is required. The performance between the 2 cards would likely be about the same. I was suggesting the 750Ti since its the newer GPU series and the power requirement is far lower. Any of the 600 series cards are likely left over stock that never sold.

Eric

ADK