15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 6:56 AM by osgood_

Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver

SammyDayT

Hi,

I want to design a website for a client that are used to Wordpress and will be very reluctant to change. Can I build a site on dreamweaver and then let the client work through wordpress to update content?

• 1. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
          Herbert2001 Level 4

I think you have it backwards: the client prefers to work with Wordpress as a CMS, and it sounds like you are trying to convince them that a static site in DW and maintained in DW is a better idea. This is certainly not the case.

You will have to build a Wordpress template and upload it in the themes folder. Or use an existing Wordpress template and adjust/edit it to your liking.

Perhaps start reading this to get your bearing:

How To Set Up WordPress in Dreamweaver : Adobe Dreamweaver Team Blog

Editing a WordPress theme with Dreamweaver CS5 – Part 1: Learning the basics | Adobe Developer Connection

• 2. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
            Ken Binney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I understand it, the only thing you can do with DW on a WP site is to customize the theme.

Everything else goes through the WP CMS.

• 3. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have experience with how WordPress works and more specifically how to create custom WP Themes with PHP & CSS code, you could use DW to manually code your client's site.   If you're not a skilled coder, I think you should just find a WP Theme (free or commercial) and build the site with WP.

Theme Development « WordPress Codex

http://www.presscoders.com/wordpress-theme-customization-guide/

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                SammyDayT Level 1

Thank you. Will take a look at your suggestions!

• 5. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                  MurraySummers Level 8

I very much agree with Nancy. Dreamweaver's utility with WP is limited to theme design. When you can get a commercial theme with many built-in behaviors for under $100, it's hardly worth the effort.

• 6. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                    Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

100 bucks seems like a small price to pay for the layout & functionality that Themes can bring to a site.  But it's seldom that easy. 

<rant>Themes invariably have shortcomings which is why we rely on WP Plugins.  So we chase down WP Plugins until we find exactly what we need except it won't work with that particular Theme.  And since that Theme is the client's personal favorite, there's no changing Themes.  So we chase down more plugins until we eventually find one that works with the chosen Theme.  Great!  Everything is hunky-dory for a few months until WP releases a new security upgrade.  Now suddenly nothing works.  So it's back to square one. I hate WordPress!!  I do, I do. Yes, I really do.  Given a choice between using WP or building a custom CMS, I'd rather build my own CMS. </rant>

Nancy O.

• 7. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                      MurraySummers Level 8

Well we disagree on that one. I've just not had that problem at all. But now that you've described it, I almost certainly will!

• 8. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm with Murray. I've had a few niggles with the occasional plugins and Themes not agreeing but nothing major. I usually steer clear of free themes and plugins to avoid the scenarios you describe and it works most of the time.

I personally love Wordpress and the power it quickly and easily gives to novice clients.

• 9. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I lost a client due to my reluctance to implementing WP. He is now licking his wounds after the site had to be upgraded due to security issues.

Go figure.

• 10. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver

I've heard similar stories but the devil is always in the detail. Wordpress is always a target due to its popularity, open source nature, the number of sites which don't update their Wordpress framework promptly and the sheer number of poorly coded plugins used by many sites, mostly the free ones.

What security issues did he encounter?

How secure was his site prior to the security upgrade?

What kind of upgrade was required? Did he ditch Wordpress entirely?

• 11. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                              Herbert2001 Level 4

Ben Pleysier wrote:

I lost a client due to my reluctance to implementing WP. He is now licking his wounds after the site had to be upgraded due to security issues.

Go figure.

I had a client swich from Joomla to WP because the Joomla site was not securely installed and set up. It got constantly hacked, and I migrated the site to WP with a proper setup. Since then no more issues.

It's the same with any other back-end and CMS: if the developer has no idea about basic server and CMS security ANY system can (and will) be quickly compromised.

If anything a custom built CMS may be far more more vulnerable  - CMSs like Joomla, WP, and Drupal have very active large communities that notice and debug security issues much faster than any single developer would be able to (in general). And in my experience many PHP developers possess limited knowledge about how to secure their back-end.

But all is moot of course when basic security is not adhered to. In the case of WP: keeping the standard admin account active, no security plugin installed, server directories with the wrong access properties, not moving the WP installation directory to a custom directory, simple to guess  passwords (you'd be amazed), keeping the default helpful comments in the login screen, etcetera.

If your client's WP was compromised, it generally either has to do with the above, and/or plugins written by developers with a poor understanding of security issues.

• 12. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                                osgood_ Level 8

Anyone that uses a Wordpress 'out-of-the-box' theme must have clients that generally expect very little. Any client I've ever worked for somewhere down the line wants this changed or that changed or this introduced or that introduced. Nightmare if you don't write your own themes as you have to go looking through 'unfamiliar' css written by someone else, usually dozens of linked scripts/plugins, php you don't understand. Personally I could never work with Wordpress on that bases unless I restrict myself to saying to the client this is the theme and this is what you getting, which isn't that professional in my opinion. At that stage you might as well give it up and do something else.

Wordpress is for professionals who can bend it every which way or amateurs who are satisfied with an 'off the shelf solution' which almost certainly results in compromise.

• 13. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver

osgood_ wrote:

Anyone that uses a Wordpress 'out-of-the-box' theme must have clients that generally expect very little.

Thankfully most of my clients fall into that category. I've never had to do wholesale changes to a Wordpress theme.

Just tweaked the CSS slightly for the occasional whitespace adjustment.

• 14. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                                    MurraySummers Level 8

Any Wordpress theme, including the Out of the Box ones, is pretty easy to hack - you just have to do the following:

1. Create a CHILD theme of the parent you have selected

2. Adjust the CSS file in the Child theme to produce the layout you want, either by direct editing, or by using the WP Theme Options editor

3. Copy header.php/footer.php into the child theme folder and edit them as needed

4. Add Plugins to provide desired functionality

You now have a system that will (or should be) immune to WP upgrades, or to theme upgrades. Neither of those will mess with the child theme changes you have made.

• 15. Re: Using wordpress as a CMS for dreamweaver
                                      osgood_ Level 8

John Waller wrote:

osgood_ wrote:

Anyone that uses a Wordpress 'out-of-the-box' theme must have clients that generally expect very little.

Thankfully most of my clients fall into that category. I've never had to do wholesale changes to a Wordpress theme.

Dunno what kind of clients you are working for John but mine aren't exactly top of the range BUT they are still picky and choosy and never is there a time when this or that is not quite right. I honesty don't know how people work with a pre-built theme because never does the clients requirements match the theme without a lot of tweaking, in my experience. If you have clients that will look at the template and supply images and copy with the template in mind then you are lucky.

It always takes me back to when I was working for a company you wanted a monthly newsletter produced. To save costs they asked for a pre-built template design where copy and images could just be replaced each month...nice in theory BUT they never supplied the same amount of copy or supplied the correct sized images or even the same sections each month. 

1 person found this helpful