7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 1:45 PM by Tim Kurkoski

AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?

FGAmatt Level 1

A dialogue box pops up with "...cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format ( 86 :: 1)" Any ideas? I can import 4k fine.

• 1. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try it in version 13 and see if it imports there.

• 2. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
            FGAmatt Level 1

It works fine in V13. I need it to work in V12 for a large client who can't upgrade all their stations at the moment.

• 3. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would not be surprised to find that this format is only supported in v13.

What happens if you work with it a bit in v13 and use the File > Save As > Save A Copy As CC (12)?

If you open the resulting file in v12, does it work?

While it might not help your situation, you can install v13 alongside v12 with no problems. So, if a company is nervous about upgrading for stability or workflow reasons, they can install the latest version and keep the old versions too. Heck, I have v10 (CS5) on the same machine as both version 12 and 13 and have no problems. (I may even have v11 on there too, but I'm not sure).

• 4. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
                FGAmatt Level 1

Did that "Save As CC (12)" yesterday... same result. When opening in 12.2, it throws the same error.

We've got multiple versions on our machines as well. Its great. Good tip.

Can someone from Adobe tell me if I should stop wasting my time trying to figure this out? Is it just not possible?

• 5. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
                  Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

After Effects CC (12.x) can import 5K R3D files. Can Premiere Pro CC (8.x) import this particular 5K R3D file?

What model camera, and what firmware on the camera, was the file shot with? In new releases we integrate the then-latest RED SDK; it's possible that they made a change in the camera that the older SDK is not compatible with.

With more information I can investigate. It would be helpful if you shared a sample file that has the issue, should you have or can shoot one that is small enough to post.

• 6. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
                    FGAmatt Level 1

Tim -

I've had to move on to a "Plan B" and will be working in AE CC 2014 and then saving it backwards to 12.2 for the client. We tested out the workflow and its going to work.... their AE 12.2 machines will rad the 5k fine.

Thanks for your time, cheers, Matt

• 7. Re: AE CC 12.2 won't import 5k R3D?
                      Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

OK, that makes the issue more mysterious. If your client's copy of After Effects CC (12.2) can read the R3D, that implies that the problem is isolated to your machine but only in that version.

Strange, but glad you've got a workflow. Post back if you have more info or want to continue troubleshooting.