8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 5:57 PM by A.T. Romano

What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?

sheltiefriend Level 1

When you are finished editing AVCHD files with Adobe Premiere Elements 11, what is the correct file format for exporting back to the hard drive of the Sony HDR-SR12E handycam?

I used Sony Play Memories software to import AVCHD (.m2Ts) files at 1920x1080i PAL resolution. I tried rendering to several file formats after editing, but the files could not be exported in high definition back to the hard drive of the AVCHD camera. 

I WAS able to import files from camera in Play Memories and then export them straight back to camera WITHOUT any editing, but of course you wouldn't bother doing this normally.

I grew to love using Premiere Elements 10 for editing sd footage from my mini dv camera. However,  I've just purchased the AVCHD handycam and expect to receive my newly purchased copy of Premiere Elements 11 in a couple of days.

Can anybody suggest the correct file format to produce for exporting AVCHD footage edited in PE11 originally captured on the Sony HDR-SR12E back to the camera?

• - Regards, Phil
        • 1. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Premiere Elements 10 has the Share/Tape (Record to DV). And, even that is for just DV, not HDV. There is no such choice in Premiere Elements 11 and 12.

So, you are going to have to match up the properties of the original with Export settings and try to get the file exported onto the camera's hard drive if that is possible. Does the Sony user guide give instructions for how to import one of your video to its hard drive?

The theory depends on how close you want the export of the edit to match the camera's original. There is no .m2ts file extension in any of the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD choices. If the .m2ts file extension is a must..

One scheme to get a AVCHD.m2ts 1920 x 1080i25 for your camera's hard drive - lots of ifs

1. Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD and burn to folder using presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i PAL Dolby.

(The preset cannot be customized so you will go with the Adobe bitrate.for the preset)

2. Then go to the folder saved to the computer's hard drive, open the BDMV Folder, then the STREAM Folder of the BDMV Folder, and use the 00000.m2ts file there as your file destined for your camera's hard drive.

If the hard drive will accept ..m2t, then you could use Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i25 and customize the export settings under the Advanced Tab/Video Tab and Audio Tab.

Please review and then let us know if any of this works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
            sheltiefriend Level 1

Thank you ATR! There's a research project to try over the next day or two.. I'll let you know how I go. I've just discovered a warning in the camera's user guide that files that have been modified on the computer may not be exported back to the camera successfully. But I will follow those leads from you and try.

This learning exercise has led to a decision to buy a Sony blu ray player to hook up to our HD TV now that I've upgraded from sd mini dv to the Sony HDR-SR12E hdd avchd camera. I purchased 2nd hand on ebay and I've been lucky to buy a very nice camera, but following that outlay I wanted to show my partner some thrift by just purchasing a mini hdmi to hdmi cable and dubbing edited videos back to the 120 Gb hdd and playing videos from the camera on our TV.

However, I can now see that this idea was false economy, and we'll buy the blu ray player.

Thanks again for your interest. A few days ago, you responded to my queries about the Sony camera's compatibility with Win 8.1 x 64 and Premiere Elements. I'm happy to say that the camera works nicely with Win 8.1, and I'm waiting for my copy of PE11 to arrive in the next few days - (upgrading from PE10).

Kind regards, Phil

• 3. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for considering my experimental suggestions.

If you had not altready planned to, I would keep Premiere Elements 10 installed on the same computer as the your new Premiere Elements 11 until you feel comfortable with the different workspaces that you will encounter in 11. Just use one version at a time.

We will be looking forward to your camera and Premiere Elements results when you get the time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
                sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi ATR, I'm still waiting for PE11 to arrive from USA. Tracking advice shows that it arrived in Aus yesterday, but ETA in Tasmania is next Friday 18th. Meanwhile, I've been able to edit and burn successfully to AVCHD and Blu Ray in Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 (Windows 8.1.1 x 64). However, I loved editing in sd with PE10 and look forward to editing in hd with PE11. Having the Sony Blu-ray player and burning successfully, I'm not likely to need to export edits back to camera, but am willing to experiment with your suggestion when I can find time. (Am filming and editing performances at our market this weekend and uploading to lilydalevillagemarket facebook page - using PowerDirector) - Regards, Phil

• 5. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
                  sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi ATR,

I edited and burned to AVCHD disc today with Premiere Elements 11, and love using the (newly received) program. It imported nicely from the HDD of my Sony AVCHD handycam by USB connection with 64 bit Windows 8.1.1. There were no technical problems and the quality met all expectations. Will give some more feedback on PE11 and ask a couple of questions when I find the appropriate threads. Having also filmed at our local market and edited and uploaded to facebook with PowerDirector prior to receiving PE11 in the mail, I've been too busy to experiment with exporting edits to camera, and although not needing to do it now having purchased a stand alone blu-ray player, I will try exporting when I can - regards, Phil

• 6. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil,

Great news of your progress. Great job.

What version of Premiere Elements did you order and which has just arrived for your current work? All along you have written version 11. Did you go with 11 instead of 12 for this recent purchase?  Reminder, if you try out the burn to disc AVCHD on DVD disc, you can do that with a regular DVD/CD burner. You do not need a Blu-ray burner for that. But, when it comes to play back of the AVCHD on DVD disc, the regular DVD player will not play back AVCHD on DVD disc. Most Blu-ray players and some computer programs will play back AVCHD on DVD. When you get to that phase of your work, please let us know how your Blu-ray player handled Premiere Elements AVCHD on DVD disc.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: What exact file format for exporting AVCHD to HDD of Sony HDR-SR12E (AVCHD) Handycam?
                      sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi ATR,

As said, I was editing sd footage with Premiere Elements 10, but read that the preview monitor does not work when editing hd footage in PE10 with the latest nVidia graphics drivers. I confirmed this when I purchased my Sony AVCHD handycam, and initially wasn't going to purchase a blu-ray player as I had hoped to export edited footage back to camera and hook up by mini hdmi for playback on TV. However, with difficulties exporting back to camera (except raw footage)  I purchased the blu-ray player after all. Last time I wrote I was looking forward to upgrading from PE10. Now, PE11 has arrived and all is working well. I bought the boxed full retail version of PE11 for the bargain price of $39 US, and as there would be no problem previewing hd footage, decided on the superseded version to save money. I'm very happy with it, and will find an appropriate thread in which to provide some more feedback. - Regards, Phil