9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 1:19 AM by Rchjr56

Video Loop

Rchjr56 Level 1

I have a graphic that I made of asphalt that has 2 orange lines and a white dotted line in the middle. Is there a way in after effects if I made 6 or 7 duplicates of that asphalt graphic to loop them together as in a short 5-6 second video loop making it look as if the going down the road from over head?

Thanks for any help

Rchjr

• 1. Re: Video Loop
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Easy Option 1:

Create a short animation using position so the white dotted line moves far enough that the first dot trades places with the second or third dot. Then move back one frame. Set the work area to the out point and trim the comp to the work area.

Now nest this little comp in your main comp and enable time remapping. Extend the out point of the nested comp. Go to the last keyframe for Time remapping then go one more frame. Now add this expression to the Time Remapping property: loopOut("cycle")

Easy option 2:

At the end of step 1 render your short comp and import the footage. In Footage Interpretation select loop and set the number of cycles.

Potential problems. You don't accurately create a loop so you get a jump in the motion. The way to make a loop work is to make sure that when the dotted line gets to the new position that is exactly the same as the starting position  (take a screen grab to verify) you must move back 1 frame and either set a keyframe there or trim the comp there. If you do not you will get a glitch in the motion.

• 2. Re: Video Loop
            Rchjr56 Level 1

Rick,

When I said I had a white dotted line I should have said that I have 4 white lines in the middle, when this project first came about it was just supposed to be a graphic that has a black asphalt texture that has a left and right orange line, plus 4 lines in the middle depicting a section of asphalt. The black asphalt looking texture is very real looking. The look I need is as if the road is now flowing vs being static. In the options you wrote in your response does any of those make it look as if the black texture of the asphalt is moving. Can this be done in photoshop? I am more familiar with that then after effects.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Rchjr

• 3. Re: Video Loop

Okay, try this. Had your graphic to a new timeline. I am going to a song that the graphic is all on one layer and that the stripes are vertical. Now duplicate the layer in the timeline and position the bottom edge of the top copy of your graphic at the very top of the composition. Now parent the bottom layer to the top layer. Animate the Parent  layer so that it moves down until the top edge of the top layer is now centered in the composition.

You should now have your road with stripes moving down in the frame. If you need to adjust the spacing moved the child layer. Now follow the same steps as before. You have a short movie looks like the road is moving. Set the in and out point of the movie so the first and last frame are in the exact same position, move back one frame, trim the composition to this point and set up your loop.

If I understand your graphic this will work. If you cannot make it work, please post a screen capture of your graphic and I will show you how to do it.

• 4. Re: Video Loop
                bogiesan Level 4

Rick Gerard wrote:

Set the in and out point of the movie so the first and last frame are in the exact same position, move back one frame, trim the composition to this point and set up your loop.

This step is crucial and most newbies miss it. If you don't follow Rick's advice, you will duplicate the position of the layer on two consecutive frames. This produces a hiccup in the movie, upsetting the smooth advance.

• 5. Re: Video Loop
                  Rchjr56 Level 1

Rick, Bogiesan

Thank you both for the replies, I will be working on this within the next few days. I will give you an update or at the very least will post a screen shot of the graphic for you Rick if i cant get it to work. Rick; Are you saying to put my graphic to photo shop and create a new time line when you say this " Had your graphic to a new timeline " ? Also, are you saying " I assume your graphic is all in one layer when you say " I am going to a song that the graphic is all on one layer " ? I know this is the After Effects forum, if I have any questions during the process in photo shop should I post over in the photo shop forum? Do you both post there or should I keep posting here?

Again...........Thank you both!

C. Harris

• 6. Re: Video Loop

Going to a song ... voice to text, sorry I didn't catch that. Going to assume....

• 7. Re: Video Loop
                      bogiesan Level 4

Gotta love autocorrect.

• 8. Re: Video Loop
                        Rchjr56 Level 1

Rick,

I am just now getting to this, I have more questions but this is AE forum, Should I go over there and ask those questions?

Rchjr

• 9. Re: Video Loop
                          Rchjr56 Level 1

I mean should I go over to the Photoshop Forum!