2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2007 7:47 AM by treble101

Unsharp Mask Settings: what do you use?

treble101
      Apparently the Unsharp Mask settings differ between Photoshop/ImageReady and Fireworks.

There are so many combinations with it with the 'Sharpen Amount', 'Pixel Radius' and 'Threshold' options. When I play with it I am starting to get numb in the end and can't see anymore what is good or still fuzzy or over-sharpened. So I'd really appreciate some feedback from the experienced users :-)

So if you have to resize a relatively large picture like 2100x1400 pixels to 450x300 what settings do you use for:
      1. Sharpen Amount
      2. Pixel Radius
      3. Threshold
        • 1. Re: Unsharp Mask Settings: what do you use?
          Level 7
          On Sun, 06 May 2007 23:53:08 +0400, treble101
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Apparently the Unsharp Mask settings differ between Photoshop/ImageReady
          > and
          > Fireworks.
          >
          > There are so many combinations with it with the 'Sharpen Amount', 'Pixel
          > Radius' and 'Threshold' options. When I play with it I am starting to
          > get numb
          > in the end and can't see anymore what is good or still fuzzy or
          > over-sharpened.
          > So I'd really appreciate some feedback from the experienced users :-)
          >
          > So if you have to resize a relatively large picture like 2100x1400
          > pixels to
          > 450x300 what settings do you use for:
          > 1. Sharpen Amount
          > 2. Pixel Radius
          > 3. Threshold

Optimal setting for UM depend on image content, not on image size in
          pixels. There is no "single best" set of settings that will fit every
          image. About the only thing I may tell regarding your example of
          sharpening image after resizing from 2100x1400 pixels to 450x300 is that
          you are unlikely to need "Threshold" higher than zero. Other than that -
          you should experiment with your particular images. First try to set
          "Radius" right, then adjust "Amount".

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: Unsharp Mask Settings: what do you use?
            treble101 Level 1
            Thanks for the feedback. Now I see this message by Lanny as well (strange that it only shows up in Google-groups, not the adobe-webforum...):
            http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.fireworks/msg/b3958053862280c8?&hl=en
            where 100%, 0.5 pixel radius and a threshold of 10 is recommended.

I was hoping for some kind of general setting that works fine on most images when I resize them. Similar to (I hate to bring it up, because you are all tired of it :-)) the settings I used in ImageReady.