5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 8:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe premiere elements 12 with diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.

wildbill100

Adobe premiere elements 12 and using Diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.

AVI files will not load into Adobe premiere elements 12.

I bought what I thought were the two best software and capture devices.

I am archiving old VHS tapes and using Diamond vc500 capture software called EZ grabber. I thought the best archiving format would be AVI files. As I just started this project. I am willing to do what is needed.

That even being, going and buy another capture device that being for a VCR to PC using a USB are even a Video card.

EZ grabber software ask you to record in what format. I picked AVI. There is DVD - SVCD - VCD - MPG4. I want to archive then go back and edit. The DVD or SVCD format, is that not the same as mpeg 2?

You and I know the drill. Saving in what long term archive format and that dare thing about video compression and losing quality of the videos. Its all a nightmare.

Once again I am willing to buy another capture device for a VCR that will work with Adobe premiere elements 12.

Help please with long term archiving format and capture device.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe premiere elements 12 with diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

wildbill100

DVD and SVCD or not the same, although both are characterized by MPEG2 video compression.

Understanding Video DVD formats and VCD and SVCD

Premiere Elements capture is best done with a firewire connection and the Canopus product (firewire) is often

recommended as the capture device. One example

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

What are you doing...

a. Capturing the VHS content to the computer (via the Diamond vc500 and USB connection) and expecting the Premiere Elements 12 Capture Window to open.

or

b. Capturing the VHS content to computer (via the Diamond vc500 and USB connection and EZ grabber) to obtain an .avi file on your computer and then trying to import that into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders?

If "b", what type of .avi do you have....avi is only a wrapper format - what is the video compression for this .avi file?

Please review and fill in the gaps. Then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe premiere elements 12 with diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.
            wildbill100 Level 1

The answer is B.

Capturing the VHS content to computer (via the Diamond vc500 and USB connection and EZ grabber) to obtain an .avi file on your computer and then trying to import that into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders?

When I do that, the Adobe premiere elements 12 crashes or only loads a 2 mins of video.

The firewire connection device "Canopus" product sounds great. But I really don't want to spend that much on my home videos. My PC does not have a Firewire connection. So add a new card for that and the Canopus product. I could just pay someone to do my VHS tapes.

Diamond vc500 $35

Adobe premiere elements 12 $65

Firewire card $50 plus

Canopus $180

$330 is way too much for simple home VHS videos

• 3. Re: Adobe premiere elements 12 with diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

wildbill100

Let us put aside the capturing device and USB for the moment and focus on what you have put on the computer hard drive.

It is important for us to confirm what type of .avi you have. Two major considerations here....

a. Video compression...please run your video through the GSpot codec utility and let us know what it shows for Video Codec, Name, and Status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

b. If DV AVI, whether DV AVI type 1 or type 2.

Premiere Elements has problems with DV AVI type 1. So, you may be forced to convert the DV AVI type 1 into DV AVI type 2.

You can do that easily with the free program named DVDate.

Homepage of DVdate

You issue may just be the video compression that is being wrapped with that .avi format. Let us see.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe premiere elements 12 with diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.
                wildbill100 Level 1

The Gspot is saying

Video Codec - UYVY

Name - UYVY (packed 4:2:2

Status - No Codec Required

All these video compression formats and codecs. Its really crazy.

Its like I need a format to record or capture in, format to save in, format for archiving. The format I use to save might not be good for re-editing VHS tapes videos which are not that great to start with.

Meaning the re-compression will make them worse. Than burning to DVD will need a compression format.

• 5. Re: Adobe premiere elements 12 with diamond vc500 one touch video capture device.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

wildbill100

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting information related to your avi files that will not import into Premiere Elements 12.

What did the GSpot readout give for Audio Codec, Name, and Status?

From all that I have read and just tried, Premiere Elements 12 should be supporting the import of "Uncompressed UYVY 422 8 bit.avi".

What I did was to export a Premiere Elements 12 Timeline to Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = NTSC DV Widescreen and then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab changed the Video Codec to Uncompressed UYVY 422 8 bit. Then I took that export and successfully imported that into a Premiere Elements 12 project. (The Audio in the Premiere Elements export area is described as Uncompressed Stereo 16 bit 48000 Hz. The GSpot readout program gives PCM Audio Stereo 48000 Hz).

What alternative choices do you have for your .avi file from the EZ grabber? Any chance it offers DV AVI type 2? If so, could you give the DV AVI type 2 a try to determine if that will allow you to import your file into Premiere Elements 12?

Another alternative, now for troubleshooting purposes, is to convert your current UYVY.avi into DV AVI with some alternative software (MPEG Streamclip or other) before import into Premiere Elements.

Right now, let us focus on finding a format for your particular video file that will import into Premiere Elements and then we can fine tune accordingly after that.

Thanks.

ATR