3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 6:24 AM by MurraySummers

Converting From Dreamweaver To WordPress - Problems with Relative & Absolute Links!

hunterguest1

Howdy,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation at the moment and I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out!

This is where I am at:

1) Originally, I created one of my websites on Dreamweaver. I hand coded the theme using HTML and CSS. Also, this website has over 160 pages and thousands of relative links leading to other pages on my website. But, I never launched this website as it was still in construction.

2) However, I then decided to use WordPress to host this website, largely due to the responsive themes (which I would have difficulty coding myself.) I launched a WordPress website, installed and edited a theme, which I am very happy with. However, at the moment, this website has no content.

This is what I would like to do:

1) What I would like to do is copy all of the 160 pages from Dreamweaver into WordPress. Is there a quick way of doing this or will I have to copy and paste every single page?

2) As an experiment, I copied 10 page individually from Dreamweaver to WordPress to see how they looked.  However,  the moment, every link on Dreamweaver a relative link. This means when I copy and paste each page from Dreamweaver to Wordpress, all of the links are dead as WordPress does not recognise the relative links. Therefore, I need to manually change ever relative link to an absolute link. Is there a quick way of doing this within Dreamweaver?

Many thanks,

Hunter

• 1. Re: Converting From Dreamweaver To WordPress - Problems with Relative & Absolute Links!
          MurraySummers Level 8

1) What I would like to do is copy all of the 160 pages from Dreamweaver into WordPress. Is there a quick way of doing this or will I have to copy and paste every single page?

That's not how WP works, so the answer would have to be NO, there is no quick, or easy way to do this. The menu would have to be defined in WP, and then each page's content would have to be added to separate WP-managed pages and/or widgets via the WP admin section.

2) As an experiment, I copied 10 page individually from Dreamweaver to WordPress to see how they looked.

You mean you just uploaded the pages to the WP host? What exactly did you do? Can you post a link to one of your test pages so we can SEE what you have done, please?

This means when I copy and paste each page from Dreamweaver to Wordpress, all of the links are dead as WordPress does not recognise the relative links. Therefore, I need to manually change ever relative link to an absolute link. Is there a quick way of doing this within Dreamweaver?

First off you would not need absolute links at all. But the answer to this question would really depend on what, exactly you have done in WP, and we'll find that out by a link to your page.

• 2. Re: Re: Converting From Dreamweaver To WordPress - Problems with Relative & Absolute Links!
            hunterguest1 Level 1

Thanks for the reply MurrySummers,

I am unable to upload a test page at this precise moment but will do soon. Also, just on how I uploaded the pages, I literally copied and pasted the text and the images from a page in dreamweaver to WP - I have not uploaded any files due to conflicting HTML theme designs.

Many thanks,

Hunter

• 3. Re: Re: Converting From Dreamweaver To WordPress - Problems with Relative & Absolute Links!
              MurraySummers Level 8

See - I still don't understand what this means (or what you think it means) -

I literally copied and pasted the text and the images from a page in dreamweaver to WP

Do you mean you logged in to the Wordpress Administrative section, and created a new page there into which you pasted your content, and in which you uploaded an image into the media library?