8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2007 7:07 AM by webby7097

Audio On Roll Over

webby7097 Level 1
      This page has a great effect where the audio of the Flash movie only plays while the mouse is over the flash player. I figure they did this with a button and a rollover action but can't seem to replicate it. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Audio On Roll Over
          Sketchsta Level 1
          try:

your_btn.onRollOver = function(){
          your_sound_object.setVolume(100);
          }

your_btn.onRollOut = function(){
          your_sound_object.setVolume(0);
          }
          • 2. Re: Audio On Roll Over
            webby7097 Level 1
            Here's the error output:

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 1: Left side of assignment operator must be variable or property.
            btn-audio.onRollOver = function(){

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 5: Left side of assignment operator must be variable or property.
            btn-audio.onRollOut = function(){

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on handler
            var gSound:Sound = new Sound();

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 2: Statement must appear within on handler
            gSound.setVolume(100);

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 3: Statement must appear within on handler
            gSound.attachSound(TheThrillIsGone.mp3);

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 5: '(' expected
            on = function() {

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 12: Syntax error.
            };

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 5: Statement block must be terminated by '}'
            on = function() {

};

Total ActionScript Errors: 9 Reported Errors: 9

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 1: Left side of assignment operator must be variable or property.

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 5: Left side of assignment operator must be variable or property.

• 3. Re: Audio On Roll Over
              Sketchsta Level 1
              Thats afew errors.
              but from what i can see, most are caused because you have the code on the object itself, when it's supposed to be on a FRAME.

quote:

Originally posted by: kllwca
              Here's the error output:

************** place this code on a FRAME not on the OBJECT. *******************

************** place this code on a FRAME not on the OBJECT. *******************

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on handler
              var gSound:Sound = new Sound();

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 2: Statement must appear within on handler
              gSound.setVolume(100);

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 3: Statement must appear within on handler
              gSound.attachSound(TheThrillIsGone.mp3);

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 5: '(' expected
              on = function() {
              ************** check your syntax, go through your code carefully *****************

};
              ************** check your syntax, go through your code carefully *****************

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=button, frame=1:Line 5: Statement block must be terminated by '}'
              on = function() {

};

=========================================================================================
              //*********** be careful WHERE you use the semi column " ; " if you place it in the wrong place, Flash will skip EVERYTHING that follows it on that line. for egsample...
              btn.onRollOver = function() ; {

}
              in this obvious example, flash will tell you theres a curly bracket " { " expected.
              ========================================================================================== ==

Total ActionScript Errors: 9 Reported Errors: 9

• 4. Re: Audio On Roll Over
                webby7097 Level 1
                Actually, no - the code is on frame one of the actions layer, a layer which contains no objects.

My apologies on the length of the error string above, it included error output from several other lines of script I had failed to remove.

The code is on the frame, not on the object; the error text now reads:

• 5. Re: Audio On Roll Over
                  Sketchsta Level 1
                  ohh oops... my bad..

you are getting that error because of your button instance name

btn-audio

you CAN NOT use minus ( - ) in instance names..

sorry i didnt see that before.
                  you should use under score ( _ ) instead, or type instance names likeThisHere.
                  • 6. Re: Audio On Roll Over
                    webby7097 Level 1
                    My bad too - I knew that but forgot. It's been a little while, and I am still a novice!

The good news is, on changing the btn name and updating it in the action script, the errors are gone. The bad news is that the rollover appears to have no effect.

I suspect I have not set up my sound object properly somehow. It's an imported MP3, the Name is "TheThrilIsGone", the Type is Sound, and the code is this now:

btnAudio.onRollOver = function(){
                    TheThrillIsGone.setVolume(100);
                    }

btnAudio.onRollOut = function(){
                    TheThrillIsGone.setVolume(0);
                    }

Your help is greatly appreciated!
                    • 7. Re: Audio On Roll Over
                      Sketchsta Level 1
                      you need to specify a SOUND OBJECT before you can play any music. I dont see a sound object in that piece of code.

eg...

var mySound:Sound = new Sound();

then you would load your mp3 file using THAT sound object.

it is THAT sound object that you will control the volume, like so...

btnAudio.onRollOver = function(){
                      mySound.setVolume(70);
                      }

and the volume would be at 70 on mouse rollOver.
                      • 8. Re: Audio On Roll Over
                        webby7097 Level 1
                        I have just now come back to this, and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help.