5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 9:15 AM by CoSA_DaveS

RAM preview needs 2 or more frames to render playback - AE CC 2014

mcheeyou

Hi everyone,

I'm having major issues with AE CC 2014 (13.0.0.214) on both Mac and Windows.

The dreaded RAM preview bug has been appearing at my office and home computer spanning 4 computers in all (so far) and it's really impossible to work in AE CC 2014 for more than 20 minutes without having to restart the app. I use a couple of plugins and scripts on my work computer (none of which are active in the scenes), but the same bug happens on my coworkers' computers despite being barebone AE. It also occurs on my Windows 8 PC at home.

What happens:

My co-workers and I animate, often with illustrator files, shape layers, and text. I animate, RAM preview, and repeat. After a certain point I'm no longer able to RAM preview without the warning message appearing about RAM preview and 2 frames. In addition, scrubbing through the timeline is very slow.

What I noticed:

Watching my activity monitor my memory usage builds up as I do my RAM previews and stays at the that peak level. Each time I ram preview or scrub through it increases more. Once it reaches the allocated memory for the program, in this case, 12 gigs, the warning appears and I have to restart to RAM preview again. Purging memory does not work and my memory usage is still maxed out.

More Info:

• It's happened on my Late 2014 MacPro, a 2013 MacPro, and 2012 MacPro. All running OS 10.9.4. And my i7 3770 16GB PC at home.
      • My Specific work computer specs 3.7 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5. 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC.AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB. OSX 10.9.4 (13E28)
      • No firewalls running
      • I've tested it with all other apps closed and still am able to reproduce it
      • No issues with AE CC 12.2
      • Not using Ray-trace 3D in any compositions
      • Memory-multi-processing disabled. Although same thing happens when enabled for renders and when also enabled for RAM previews.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.