4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 8:30 AM by A.T. Romano

Unable to export from editor, import into Organizer. Need help!

smasud1

I am unable to import videos from an external hard drive onto my computer. In addition, after editing the videos, I am unable to export them so that I can further import them into Adobe Premiere Organizer. Would appreciate any advice!

• 1. Re: Unable to export from editor, import into Organizer. Need help!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your other question was about exporting exports so it would SEEM that you figured out how to import and edit... go there and read, and click the tutorials link

• 2. Re: Unable to export from editor, import into Organizer. Need help!
            A.T. Romano Level 7

smasud1

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Not knowing this information puts us at a disadvantage in customizing troubleshooting for your Premiere Elements issue.

Unable to Import from external hard drive to computer....

When you write "to the computer", do you mean to a computer hard drive location? Or, do you mean that you cannot use Premiere Element's Add Media/Get Media to import your media into the project with the Files and Folder option?

One of the basic questions becomes, how is the external hard drive formatted, NTFS, FAT32, or some special format if you are using a Mac computer.

If you import your media into Premiere Elements project, those media are automatically copied to the Elements Organizer. So, you have no need to worry about getting that media exported so that you can import it into the Elements Organizer - it should be there already because of the Premiere Elements import.

Now the matter of concern about not being able to export the Timeline content. Please detail exactly what you are doing and your choices...

Publish+Share/ and what (for versions 11 or 12) and Share/ and what for versions earlier than 11).

Answers to these basic questions will save you a lot of reading time and cut to the core of your issue.

We will be watching for your details. If there is anything that needs clarification in anything that I have written, please do not hesitate to ask. I will re-write

if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Unable to export from editor, import into Organizer. Need help!
              smasud1 Level 1

I am working on a windows 8 system with premiere elements 11.

My main goal is to import videos off an external hard drive onto my

computer, edit them (trim them down, seperate into clips), and then

organize them using the albums and categories function.

My problem is that whenever I take out the external hard drive, all my

edited videos and things I thought I imported disappear and turn into a

black screen instead. I need to figure out how to permanently put these

videos on my computer.

Furthermore, even once I have edited them. I am not able to export them so

that I can move them into the organizer

I hope this made a bit more sense.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Unable to export from editor, import into Organizer. Need help!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

smasud1

Thanks for the additional information. Very helpful.

Your import issue is not a Premiere Elements issue, but rather one between your computer and your external hard drive.

So, there I would have you contact the manufacturer of the external hard drive if you continue to have problems trying to

save your files to it. But, I would offer the following to help in that troubleshooting:

a. What is the brand/model of your external hard drive? What is the capacity of this drive? And, how does it connect to the

computer? If USB, have you tried another of your computer's USB ports? Have you checked the integrity of your cable between drive

and computer and have you checked the output connection on the drive itself?

b. What is the format of the external hard drive - NTFS or FAT32?

c. Once you plug in the external hard drive, what drive letter is assigned to it? And, when you go back to the external hard drive later,

does that drive letter change? If you are plugging this drive in and out and in, do you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature of the computer

before you unplug the external hard drive?

When you import media into your project, you have copies of the originals which are stored, in this case, on your external hard drive. The project needs always to trace back to the originals at the save hard drive location at import. If the drive letter of the external hard drive is changing, then your Premiere Elements project is not going to be able to trace back to the originals. Are you getting any "Where is the file....?" messages in your present situation?

If that drive is storing your source media for Premiere Elements, you need to resolve this external hard drive before all else. If you have a must

have done Premiere Elements project, then disconnect the external hard drive and work with your project's source media stored elsewhere until

the external hard drive issues are resolved.

Please review the above and then we continue on based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR