7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 7:22 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom 5.5x

DrArtie K-CRESLI Level 1

Earlier this evening I updated to the latest Camera Raw data.  Now Lightroom 5.5x has become completely locked upon opening any catalogue.  I need help to 1- figure out if these events are related and 2- how to fix Lightroom. I am a whale biologist and this is my field season, and I rely on Lightroom; actually my work of nearly 30 years is critically dependent upon Lightroom - PLEASE Help

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.5x
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Camera Raw is a Plug In for Photoshop, is that what you downloaed?? That has no bearing on Lightroom at all as the camera raw engine is built into Lightroom and as such is not a plig in.

Tell us your system, etc....... Try opening another catalog or a new one by holding the option/alt key upon starting Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.5x
            DrArtie K-CRESLI Level 1

Thanks.  My system is running Windows 8.1 Pro, 12 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Intel i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card.

After updating Windows and rebooting, I was able to create a new catalog, then open other catalogs, however, after opening the catalog that became "stuck", the problem returned.  Now, when I try to open any other catalog, I am returned to the offending one, since it obviously didn't close properly.  I will reboot, and create a different catalog.  Since the problem one is small (4500 photos, as opposed to my research catalogs with over 20,00 each) I will recreate it and discard the offending one.  I hope this works.

If you have further insights please let me know.  I've been using Lightroom since version 1 and didn't have a problem like this until version 4, which forced me to recreate all my catalogs.  Let's hope I don't have to.

****!! I just rebooted and clicked Lightroom - I should have been brought to my lisst of catalogs and been asked which one to open, but instead, as I feared, I was brought back to the non-working catalog. What can I do?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.5x
              dj_paige Level 9

Is there an error message? What happens when you try to open the catalog. Describe in detail!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.5x
                DrArtie K-CRESLI Level 1

No error message, when I try to open the catalog, it opens, but doesn't progress beyond openening the grid view, and panels.  The message in the main area says "no file slected." Then it remains without any further operation.  I've let it remainthat way for over an hour, but to no avail. Once I attempt to open that ctalog, I cannot open any others because the program returns to the bad catalog without offering my usual options.

Reading some posts elsewhere about "locked" vcatalogs, I tried to copy the lrcat and preview folders to a new folder and try to open.  That acted as if I were opening a new catalog, but that wasn't helpful, except for the fact that I was able to free lichr=troom to open my research catalog. 

Until I can "fix" the stuck one, I'm afraid to use it. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5.5x
                  dj_paige Level 9

I'm really guessing now about the "no file selected" message

Are you in the Library Module? If not, switch to the Library Module

If you are in the Library Module and the message is there, turn off filters (Ctrl/Cmd-L), expand all stacks and then click on "All Photographs" in the Catalog Panel.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5.5x
                    DrArtie K-CRESLI Level 1

That can't work becuae when I open that catalog, the program becomes non-responsive. I need to be able to do something prior to opening that catalog.  But I'll try