10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 9:15 PM by Kowla

Upgrading PC!

Kowla Level 1

Hi all,

So far I've been dealing with H264 footages out of 5D Mark 2s and 3s and things have been pretty smooth, I never had to render for a playback and I was able to edit a feature length film with no issues.

Very soon I'd be getting 4K R3D footages for a new project. I tried running a few test footages on my premiere timeline and needless to say the playback has been extremely choppy, to the extent that it's unworkable and it's not practical to render every bit of footage for playback's sake.

Budget has always been a huge issue with me, so considering that which GPU should I replace my current 650 ti Boost with.

The entire list:

Premiere CC, AE CC

CPU - 4770 K (stock)

MoBo - Gigabyte Z87X UD3H

GPU - Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost (stock)

RAM - 28 GB

Storage -

128 GB Samsung Pro SSD - System/ programs

Seagate 2 TB - For archiving

2 x WD 500 GB = 1 TB RAID 0 - For active projects

Thanks in advance,

Choudhury

• 1. Re: Upgrading PC!
          JEShort01 Level 4

Choudhury,

Get a GTX 770 4GB card. That is actually an affordable, relatively fast, GPU with lots of VRAM for 4K R3D. Titan Black, etc. are much more and the GTX 780 is only sold as a 3GB card.

You may never get what you want - smooth playback without rendering with a quad core CPU. Red is very taxing, and that is why its manufacturer brought out a special $5000 card for playback of a single layer of Red a few years back (Red Rocket). I have played with 4k RD3 on my dual 8-core box (128GB RAM, 10+ drives, e5-2687w cpus, etc.) and even that system does not provide a perfect, seamless timeline experience with playback full resolution selected.

Definitely play with playback resolution - that helps tons when you have an underpowered system for Red.

Regarding your being adamantly against rendering during editing, with your current hardware your best option will likely be to convert all of your RAW footage to another CODEC before putting anything on your timeline. You will likely need more drive space too since your working drive is only 1TB and you don't want to fill it more than 70% (or performance will degrade due to NTFS fragmentation and slower inner platters being used on your drives as they get close to full).

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Upgrading PC!
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 770GTX 4GB card would be ideal for that system and 4k R3D but a 760GTX 4GB card would handle it. There is not a major price difference between them at the moment though so the 770GTX would be the better choice.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Upgrading PC!
              cc_merchant Level 4

On a quad core system at stock speed, you will be very hard pressed to notice any performance difference between a GTX 760 and a 770.

You will need 4+ GB VRAM. Your best solution is to improve your disk setup.

There are GTX 780's with 6 GB available but they are overkill for your system. See EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC w/ EVGA ACX Cooler - 06G-P4-3787-KR

• 4. Re: Upgrading PC!
                Kowla Level 1

Hi,

Thank you all for your inputs. A better disk setup is something I definitely need and I'm going to get one more seagate 2TB and RAID it with my existing drive (one I use for archiving) and use it as a work disk.

GTX 770 was always there on the back of my mind and now I get your approval.

On a side note, if I get another 650 Ti Boost and SLI it? Good, bad, ugly?

• 5. Re: Upgrading PC!
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

CC 2014 does not currently scale well over 2 GPU's and it only does so on Render/export. I would not suggest another 650Ti versus a 770GTX card.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Upgrading PC!
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JEShort01 wrote:

Choudhury,

Get a GTX 770 4GB card. That is actually an affordable, relatively fast, GPU with lots of VRAM for 4K R3D. Titan Black, etc. are much more and the GTX 780 is only sold as a 3GB card.

Jim, just for your information there are GTX 780's with 6 GB of video RAM.

Choudhury,  also when buying GPU's I would suggest that since you are not into overclocking that you step up to the SC (superclocked) versionsof whatever board you get as that price difference is generally only $10 to $20 difference.  An EVGA 4 GB GTX770 starts at $400 and the superclocked is $410 for example. If money is real tight on the EVGA web site you can always check their B-Stock for appreciable savings 

• 7. Re: Upgrading PC!
                      Kowla Level 1

Copy that Eric.

• 8. Re: Upgrading PC!
                        Kowla Level 1

Bill,

I'm from India and there seems to be a huge price difference in the stock and superclocked version (sold as AMP version here). Posting links in case I'm making a mistake somewhere (and these are just the 2 GB versions):

This one is the stock version, priced at approx $470

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - ZOTAC: Flipkart.com

This one is the superclocked / AMP version, priced at approx $681

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 AMP Edition 2 GB Graphics Card - ZOTAC: Flipkart.com

So far I've never had the need to overclock but I'm open to it esp. with the kind of footage I'll be dealing with in the immediate future. Any particular blog / video you recommend for overclocking CPU and GPU?

Thanks,

Choudhury

• 9. Re: Upgrading PC!
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Guess what I checked the Zotac web site and the AMP is their version of a slightly faster standard model even here.

Do not forget to get a 4 GB model even if you have to get a less expensive model for you r 4K media

Then when you have it download a GPU overclocking  tool like Zotac FireStorm.  And increase the memory speed while monitoring the GPU temperature with a tool like GPU-z

• 10. Re: Upgrading PC!
                            Kowla Level 1

Awesome, thanks Bill