4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 3:07 AM by TᴀW

TOC Updating

zulu2pratchett1

How do I update only the page numbers in mown formatted TOC without have to redo the formatting after making many changes in the document?

• 1. Re: TOC Updating
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're using the Layout > Table of Contents menu, you'll be picking entries entirely based on paragraph styles. The entries will be formatted by paragraph styles. After doing that, when you're ready to have new pagination, choose Update > Table of Contents and it will use the same paragraph styles.

• 2. Re: TOC Updating
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            • 3. Re: TOC Updating
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Ariel, your reply was blank.

• 4. Re: TOC Updating
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks Steve,

I was just saying:

I understood that the OP is talking about an own-formatted TOC (there

was a typo in the OP, but that's what I understand): i.e., a TOC in

their book that they've extensively formatted beyond what is achievable

through the very limited built-in TOC feature.

In such a case, where all the formatting in the TOC will be lost if the

TOC is updated, I recommend my script, LiveTOC (it's the only one I know

that does this), that effectively turns the pages numbers in the TOC

into hyperlinks, so that they update automatically if the pagination

changes.

Ariel