6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 3:35 AM by Peter Spier

How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?

NeilLevett

I'm using easy catalog to paginate images and text into our work catalog and have set up 2 master pages as per their online tutorial.

I have threaded the text box's but when I paginate it fills the 2 pages I have then tells me it cant continue as I'm not paginating onto master text box's.

I am very new to both Indesign and easy catalog so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Neil

• 1. Re: How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?
          Migintosh Level 4

I don't know anything about Easy Catalog (never heard of it before now, but I'm still using ID5.5), but master text frames are usually unnecessary for most things. Many people who recommend them came up in the old days of Quark where you couldn't populate lots of text at once without them, but you don't need that with InDesign. Since I'm not experienced with Easy Catalog, you should take that with a grain of salt, but if all you want is a text frame on every page that are all chained together, here's a quick and easy way.

Make a bunch of text. The easiest way to do that is to make a text frame, place the text cursor in it and go to Type>Fill with Placeholder Text. If you want to make lots of text, zoom the window out so you can make a text frame as large as possible, and give it something like 15 or 20 columns (Object>Text Frame Options, or Command B). You can also set the font size to something like 3pt, and when you insert the placeholder text, you'll get a whole bunch. When you're done, change the column count back to 1, select all of the text and reset it to something like 12pt and make the text frame something small, like a few inches. You will see a small red X in the lower right corner of the box. That tells you that you have Overset Text (text that exceeds the space available in the current text frame, that can be threaded into another text frame or frames).

If you move that text frame on the pasteboard beside the first page of a one-page document, you can click the out-port (lower right side with the red X) and then click again, it will create a new text frame that will allow some of the overset text to populate the new text frame. If you only clicked, it will make the frame the size that will fill the page below the point where you clicked (snapping to the margins). If you click and drag, it will create a frame the size that you drag, but there is a way to have InDesign create a new frame that will not only snap to all four margins of the first page, but also create new pages with identical frames until all of the overset text is used.

After you have clicked the outport on the overset text frame, hold the shift key and click in the upper-left corner of the page margin (not the corner of the page, by the way…but the margin). When you click the outport, you will see the cursor change from a black arrow to a thumbnail of an upper-right corner of a page with little lines representing text (a "loaded" text cursor) with a smaller black arrow. If you move near a margin, the black arrow will become white. If you hold the shift key, the little lines representing text will change to a squiggly line indicating that a new chain of text frames will be made.

After all of the new text frames are in place and chained together, you can select all and delete the unwanted text, or export it as a text file to use the next time you need to do this. Maybe you don't need to do any of this, but if you do, you will know how.

My 2¢

• 2. Re: How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?
            NeilLevett Level 1

Thank you for your help, I shall give it a go and see if it works.

BTW check out the Easy Catalog plug in, you can get a free trial from their website and it makes populating data so much easier (when you can get it to work that is)

• 3. Re: How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?
              NeilLevett Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunatly it didn't work.

I think with Easy Catalog you have to paginate onto master text frames so when setting the original document up I checked the 'master text frame' box. The 2 pages I have create are both set as masters and I have added the threaded text frames. It paginates into these absolutly fine but the problem arises when it needs to create another page.

Someone please help, I dont want to have to pay for a new moniter and office window, lol.

• 4. Re: How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you asked the folks at Easy Catalog? It seems like they would be the ones most able to walk you through this.

• 5. Re: How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?
                  NeilLevett Level 1

Yeah, they will be my next port of call but I'm just testing a trial version at the moment so I thought I'd see if anyone on here could shed any light on it first.

• 6. Re: How do I set Indesign to create new pages automatically?
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

They want you to be successful with the trial so you'll buy a license.

There are a few Easy Catalog users who show up here, but they are not regular responders, for the most part.