7 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2007 12:27 PM by sstringer RSS

DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!

sstringer Community Member
      This may be related to the previous post, but my symptoms are slightly different so I thought I'd post separately.

I had Studio8 installed, and upgraded yesterday to CS3 (this is on an intel Mac running 10.4.9). It was nice that CS3 detected and imported all of my existing sites for me. However, I'm completely unable to synchronize.

When I try, Dreamweaver reports that no sync. is necessary (not true). Furthermore, when I ask it to display the list of files for manual disposition, no files are listed even if I've tried to sync the entire site. The whole process takes about 1 second on a site with thousands of files (a normal sync check should take about 30 seconds for this particular site). To make matters worse, when I reopen the site back in Studio8, the same problem now happens there, too. Note that I had absolutely no problem syncing just prior to installing CS3.

I have not found a solution to this problem. Restarting DW, rebooting, recreating my site cache, unchecking "Maintain Sync. Info" in the site preferences and subsequently rechecking it after rebuilding the site's cache, blowing away my various "_notes" directories...all have failed. Apparently, I'm going to be unable to sync. This is a seriously not good.

If anyone has a work-around or knows what could be causing this problem, *please* let me know.
        • 1. Re: DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
          Newsgroup_User Community Member
          Hi Steve

Have you already gone through this TechNote? Sounds like you have:

Troubleshooting synchronization problems in Dreamweaver
          http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400975

If the TechNote above doesn't help, then please look at this one:

Changes to synchronize in Dreamweaver CS3
          http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400973

There's a new feature in DW CS3: Display Synchronize Information. What does
          Display Synchronize Information say for the files that aren't being
          synchronized correctly?

David Alcala
          Adobe Product Support

• 2. Re: DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
            @David, thank you for replying.

I have, indeed, tried the steps outlined in kb400973 verbatim. The problem still exists.

To answer your question, "What does Display Synchronize Information say for the files that aren't being synchronized correctly?"

The option is grayed-out for anything except individual files, and even for those, I get:

"There is no synchronize information for the [file]. This is probably because the file has never been transferred to or from the server using Dreamweaver."

So I manually put the individual file, and then I do get synchronize info (too much detail to list here). However, if I make changes to that doc and then try to sync, I *still* get the original problem where Dreamweaver doesn't see any files to sync.

Any other ideas? I'm at a loss.
            • 3. Re: DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
              Newsgroup_User Community Member
              Try this:

1. Modify a file and save it. Is the modified date/time the current
              date/time?
              2. In the expanded view of the Files panel, what's the remote server say
              for the modified date/time?
              3. In the Files panel, right-click the local file and chose Display
              Synchronize Information. What does it say? The important part is just the
              first few lines (the explanation text is static text that we don't need):

File: file14.htm
              Local Remote Time: 3/3/2007 9:42 PM
              Remote Time: 3/4/2007 12:36 AM

David Alcala
              Adobe Product Support

• 4. Re: DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
                More updates if this helps anyone sleuth the problem:

* I've manually deleted the site cache folder, forcing the cache rebuild.
                * I've disabled all extensions (I had only one)
                * I've triple-checked permissions & ownership on the remote linux server.
                * I've turned cloaking completely off
                * I've even gone as far as completely recreating the site from scratch within Dreamweaver

Nothing changes the problem.

One symptom of note: the fact that it's blasting through 15k files (with cloaking off, includes Subversion files) in less than a second tells me that it's not seeing *any* files. It's just skipping the entire site.
                • 5. DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
                  @David - we cross-posted. I didn't see your response.

Answers to your questions:

1. Modify a file and save it. Is the modified date/time the current
                  date/time?
                  [Steve] Yes, it's the current date/time both in the Finder and in DW's browser. 5/4/07 2:36pm (local)

2. In the expanded view of the Files panel, what's the remote server say
                  for the modified date/time?
                  [Steve] 5/4/07 2:26pm

3. In the Files panel, right-click the local file and chose Display
                  Synchronize Information. What does it say? The important part is just the
                  first few lines (the explanation text is static text that we don't need):
                  [Steve] "There is no synchronize informaption for [file]. This is probably because..."

Manually putting the file, and looking again, it now says:

File: [myfile]
                  Local Remote Time: 5/4/07 2:36 PM
                  Remote Time: 5:4:07 2:41 PM

I then made an edit. The local timestamp is 2:42pm. I select the file and try to synchronize it. I still get the "No sync. is necessary" dialog, and, like before, if I ask to look at the files, the list is empty.

Looking at the Display Synchronize Info dialog again, I see the timestamps updated:

Local Remote Time: 5/4/07 2:36 PM
                  Remote Time: 5/4/07 2:41 PM
                  Local Testing Time: File has not be transferred to/from this server
                  Testing Time: File has not be transferred to/from this server

Note that Dreamweaver still believes the file hasn't been transferred even though it has!

Also note that the Display Synchronize Info local timestamp does not match the one in the file pane, even after refreshing.
                  • 6. Re: DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
                    Another clue:

Other sites under my control in Dreamweaver do not exhibit this problem; only the site that was most recently edited in Studio8 before I upgraded to CS3.

Apples to apples, I checked to see if a similarly configured site on the same host (Rackspace) exhibited the problem. It didn't. With this fact, and the fact that I can FTP via Dreamweaver into my remote site and upload files manually, we can rule out host connection problems.

This is baffling. Nothing I'm doing is having any affect whatsoever.
                    • 7. Re: DW CS3 Refuses to Synchronize!
                      After several days of sleuthing, I finally found the answer on my own. No thanks to Adobe Tech Support--David Alcaca's help above notwithstanding--who has yet to respond to my web case. So far, I have had anything but a positive experience with CS3 or with Adobe. But that's a rant for another day.

The issue in my case stems from a permissions problem. It appears that DW CS3 now tries to write a temporary file up on the remote server to do its sync. If it can't, it doesn't fail gracefully; it just fails with the misleading dialog saying no sync is necessary.

In my case, the root of my remote directory as far as Dreamweaver knows is the directory containing my server's web root, not the web root itself. This folder happened to be owned by 'root' on the server, not by the web admin user, so when DW tried to upload a temp file as that web admin user, the upload failed quietly and stupidly.

Note to Dreamweaver engineers: you need to fix this. It's ridiculous that you can't detect a the upload failure of your temp file, and further more, that you can't fall back to some other sync method in the event that the upload fails. How did this bug get through testing, I ask? It's a good thing that I have root access to my remote server. It won't always be the case that a user can change the permissions to facilitate this new sync method.