9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 2:33 PM by ssprengel

Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable

stock photography europe

Since  installing Maverick 10.9.4 on the Mac, Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter are no more recognizable.

Somebody else the same problem?

• 1. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
          ccastleb Adobe Employee

Hello,

I tried the following scenario and had no issues opening converted RX100 MK I, II, and III images.

1. On OS X 10.9.3, convert RX100 images to DNG using DNG converter 8.5 with default settings.
          2. Update OS to 10.9.4
          3. Open images in Camera Raw 8.5 using Bridge CC

Which version of DNG converter did you use?

Do you recall the settings you used when converting to DNG?

Which RX100 model (MKI, MKII, etc.) are you using?

Which version of Bridge, Photoshop, Camera Raw plugin, Lightroom, etc. are you trying to open the converted DNGs in?

Do you see a specific error message when attempting to open the DNGs?

Regards,

- Chris

• 2. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
            gerard_alis

Excuse me for my poor english.

I have a similar problem; my system configuration is:

-OSX 10.9.4 . I don't test with earlier versions.

-DNG Converter, versions 8.5/8.6

-The settings for conversion to DNG in DNG Converter like follows:

Captura de pantalla 2014-08-25 a les 23.11.54.png

-The concrete model of camera is RX100 Mark III

-I'm trying open the DNGs with Aperture, Xee and other image viewers. That's apps must open without problem that files. With other cameras dngs did't exists any problem.

-Un example of dng than apps cannot open -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71697691/DSC00730.dng

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
              fredpbarker

I'm having the exact same problem. I've been using Adobe DNG converter for the longest time to convert RAW files from various cameras so that I would have a consistent (and what I thought to be future-proof) file type, no matter what camera I used. I have over a thousand photos taken with my Sony RX100 mkI and now since upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.4, basically every photo I've taken over the last year or so is unavailable to me. OSX sees it but it can't show a preview in Finder and iPhoto tells me that it is an unsupported file type. It seems absolutely crazy to me that something like this could happen. All of my Canon files that I converted with DNG converter are just fine. It's only the Sony photos that were converted from ARW to DNG that this seems to effect. I installed the trial of Lightroom and they open just fine in there, but that's no use to me. I've kept and managed an iPhoto library for years and I'd like to keep on doing so. I really really hope this gets resolved. If that doesn't happen, I guess I'm just screwed and moving forward, I'll no longer be able to rely on the DNG format.

• 4. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Fred,

Your DNG files are fine.  However, it doesn't mean that the operating system (Mac OS in this case) will show you thumbnails/previews of the files.  The actual file format (DNG in this case) is irrelevant.  The relevant part is whether the OS can recognize the camera model, and in this case, it does not appear to.

Ideally, the OS would simply show the embedded thumbnail and preview image in the DNG file, because (1) it's always there, and (2) it's much faster to do so.  However, that's not something that we (Adobe) can control. 

• 5. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
                  fredpbarker Level 1

I know my DNG files themselves and the info they contain are fine. But they're not properly supported in Mavericks 10.9.4 and I don't plan on switching to Windows. A file that I converted to a DNG using Adobe software is now listed as an unrecognized file in OSX. No thumbnails, no iPhoto, no Aperture. Essentially, no support. And this is a problem. A quick search will show you people with various Sony cameras (A7, RX100 mkI and mkIII, at least) having the same problem.

No matter where the blame falls, the simple fact is that if you shoot with various Sony cameras, use Adobe software to convert the file to DNG and happen to be an OSX user, you're files are no longer compatible with OSX or Apple's photo software. They will only open in Adobe software. You literally get a warning message from OSX saying, this is an unsupported file type when you try and open it.

Like I said previously, I've had a managed iPhoto library for about 5 years now, numerous hours of tagging and organzing, and every DNG file converted from a Sony ARW RAW is currently unsupported. Original ARW files work just fine. It's nuts. Maybe it's Adobe's fault. Maybe it's Apple's fault. It really doesn't matter. If DNG is not a reliable standard format under certain edge cases (Sony ARW, DNG converter, OSX Mavericks), it's not a reliable standard format at all. I just hope that Apple or Adobe figures this out, so that I can get those photos back.

In the mean time, certain users such as myself just can't rely on DNG. End of story.

• 6. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe something has changed since February, but as of 7 months ago Apple’s RawCamera functions (that Finder/Preview use) are designed not to work with DNGs from cameras that have lens corrections implied in them.

See tinero’s reply to the second reply of Victoria Brampton halfway down this thread:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_bug_the_dng_thumbnails_of_ my_sony_dsc_rx100_are_not_shown_in_the_file_finder_of_my_mac

The relevant quote from Apple is:

"Engineering has determined that this issue behaves as intended based on the following information:

The Sony DSC RX100 requires lens distortion correction, so either the DNG files are linearized, with correction baked in, or DNG files requiring DNG v1.3, neither of which RawCamera currently supports.

Please update your bug report to let us know if that resolves the issue for you."

You might try talking with Apple, yourself, and see if they say there is something you can do besides not convert to DNG with the RX100.

• 7. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
                      fredpbarker Level 1

Thanks ssprengel. You seem to have hit the nail on the head. Looks like an Apple problem. I still feel that there should be some kind of warning on the DNG converter that says, if you use a camera with lens corrected RAWs or plan to convert to DNG v1.3, please be aware that your photos may not be compatible with OSX or Apple's photo software. The only way I now have access to all of those photos in OSX is by using Adobe products. Not great for a file format that's supposed to be "open". I do get that this is Apple's problem though. Maybe Adobe shouldn't support DNG conversion for OSX if Apple has trouble supporting said DNGs. Oh well, guess I'm SOL.

• 8. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
                        fredpbarker Level 1

My next question would be this, is it possible to use DNG converter to re-convert DNGs you already have from DNG 1.3 to DNG 1.1 in the hopes that they will start working in OSX? From what I gather, you'd want them delinear as well. Not sure if it's possible to do that on a Sony RAW file with lens correction baked in.

• 9. Re: Sony RX100 raw files converted with DNG converter not recognizable
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It appears neither implied lens corrections nor linear DNGs are supported by Apple.  The RX100 requires DNG 1.3 to store information about the lens corrections, and linearizing is a one-way conversion as far as I know.  I believe the issue for the RX100 files is the included lens corrections, not that they are linearized, although you would have the option of linearization when you performed your conversion, so it could also be the problem, but since other cameras’ files are ok, I don’t think you have been doing that.

If you embedded the original raw in the DNG then you could extract the original raw but that’s about it, or if you have backed up your original files, somewhere.

Issues such as this are why I have never used DNGs to store my raw files.  Adobe seems to care about DNGs quite a bit, but others, less so, and I want my files openable by the widest range of software available.