9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 11:35 AM by Rick Gerard

Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC

mpmatthews34

Hi all!

My After Effects CC does not have the "Save A Copy As CS6" function available in the save menu. Can anyone help me? Another project I am on has CS6 but cannot open files created from any of the options listed in the attached screenshot.

Thank you!

Mike

Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 9.11.19 AM.png

• 1. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are using CC 2014 (which is After Effects version 13). Save as version 12, then open the project in version 12 and save as CS6.

• 2. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC
            pienkie01

Hi

I have the same problem and since I've just started with CC, I have no version 12. I'm also still using the trial.

• 3. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At this hour the first two threads pose the same question and have the same answer.

• 4. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC

As Rick says, some other posters are wondering what happened to save as cs6?

In case future forum searchers find this post instead of that one, CC 2014 is After Effects version 13. It's just as different from CC (version 12) as CS6 (version 11) was from CC. Every release utilizes new features that are not supported in previous versions. It takes a lot of development and testing (mostly testing) to ensure that save-back features work. I would rather they develop a faster-handling, faster-rendering, more stable new version than for them to spend the person-hours to give us a "save back two versions" feature.

CS6 and CC are both available in the Creative Cloud app, so you can save back several versions!

You can save back from CC 2014 to CC and then from CC to CS6 and from CS6 to CS5.5, if you wanted.

And don't forget that, up until a few years ago, there was never a previous-version save function.  From CS5 (version 10) and earlier, you could not save backward at all.

• 5. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC
                  pienkie01 Level 1

Well yes and no. Unless I subscribe it seems I can't download an older version of AE (12) or CS6 and yes, I have uninstalled the current version. Fair enough in one sense, but at the same time I would like to test this before buying into it. This is the situation: At work we are running CS6 because our IT department in their infinite wisdom decided that no computer connected to the "broadcast" network will be connected to the internet. Now if someone from Adobe could absolutely guarantee that with a subscription I'll be able install both versions (12 and 13)(and I am talking AE, I know Premiere is a different kettle of fish) so I can save 1 down and then 1 down again, it would be great. I do not expect new features to work in 12 or CS6, but it would be nice if simplish comps I create at home could be exported to CS6.

Seriously I'm not trying to con Adobe out of a subscription. It has always been my intent to properly subscribe. I would just like to be able to test a few workflows to avoid post purchase anguish and a lot of you telling me effectively: 'what did I expect'. ( Some of you are not nice in your posts... I've been reading. I can handle not nice, but I'm asking the question, others have "assumed")

• 6. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC

You can install CS6 CC, and CC14 from a subscription. You can install trials of all 3... What's the problem?

• 7. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC

pienkie01 wrote:

Unless I subscribe it seems I can't download an older version of AE (12) or CS6 ... I would like to test this before buying into it....Now if someone from Adobe could absolutely guarantee that with a subscription I'll be able install both versions (12 and 13...so I can save 1 down and then 1 down again, it would be great.

You should be able to install trials of all three currently available versions.

I know of a number of people who have all three installed and, as I said before, I have several versions installed at home. If you want an official Adobe word on it: opening After Effects projects from previous versions and saving back to previous versions

pienkie01 wrote:

At work we are running CS6 because our IT department in their infinite wisdom decided that no computer connected to the "broadcast" network will be connected to the internet.

Keeping a production network disconnected from the internet isn't a bad idea. If I were your IT team, I would have this policy too. However, Adobe offers enterprise licenses of Creative Cloud that don't require an internet connection. (At my full-time job, our production machines aren't connected to the internet either and I'm lobbying for them to upgrade us to CC too.) Contact Adobe for more info on that one.

• 8. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC
                        pienkie01 Level 1

I do not currently have the option to install previous versions of AE and was wondering if that was a limitation due to the fact that I am still on the trial version.

no previous ae.PNG

As for our IT department, I was only half sarcastic. I do understand why they have that policy, there are just other factors that makes it very frustrating.

• 9. Re: Cannot "Save A Copy As CS6" In After Effects CC

Direct downloads are available. Just try a Google search.