8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 1:19 PM by Daniel Flavin

Indesign to Plate?

cbishop01 Level 2

Can i use indesign straight to plate?  I'm just trying to eliminate out imposition software cause it only works on our old slow Mac and the new Mac's have alot more Pep in their step.  Heres what i'm trying to do let me know if you think this will work.  I'm wanting to take an indesign file Send it straight to the ripper and then double check it in First Proof.  Do you think this will work?  I know it rips fine from indesign but i am unsure if there anything that our imposition software does that cannot be done in Indesign.  Does the trapping work ok in indesign?  And one last question.  If we make multiple PDF's and place them in one File in indesign will that degrade quality?  For instance  I would make a file that is 23"x40" (our template) as our press only goes to 40" sheets of paper.  And what we would be looking to do is Place 5 or 6 different labels on that template.  We would have to make a separate PDF of each of those files and place the pdfs' on the template so the files do not reflow. 

• 1. Re: Indesign to Plate?
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

InDesign can go direct to plate/RIP.

The trapping works well.

You can place multiple pdf files without concern.

• 2. Re: Indesign to Plate?
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If we make multiple PDF's and place them in one File in indesign will that degrade quality?

You can also place InDesign pages, so you might not have to make PDFs

• 3. Re: Indesign to Plate?
              cbishop01 Level 2

Ok if we place multiple pages on one doc will that allow us to use different settings per file?  Like some Use Inches and the others use Metric measurements.  Also our kerning and other settings are different per label that we do.  I never played with the pages before can i have multiple Labels per sheet if they are on seperate pages?

• 4. Re: Indesign to Plate?

It works the same as placing an .ai, .psd, .pdf. If you check show options when you place it looks like the options you would get placing a .psd—you can choose to show/hide layers, and what page to place. If the ID file you are placing is missing an image you'll get a warning. Normal color management rules apply—i.e. if your destination doc's CMYK CM Policy is set to Preserve Numbers (ignore Linked Profiles), the placed ID file's profiles get ignored. I haven't checked trapping but I would guess that the trapping rules you set for the placed document are used for that object.

• 5. Re: Indesign to Plate?
                  cbishop01 Level 2

Is there a way to have crop marks automatically show up or is that going to be manual? 

• 6. Re: Indesign to Plate?

Is there a way to have crop marks automatically show up or is that going to be manual?

No, if everything needs crops exporting a PDF might be easier. There's also the CropMarks script that ships with ID Scripts>Samples

• 7. Re: Indesign to Plate?
                      cbishop01 Level 2

Also i was just thinking this as well does Indesign Handel Screens/ Graduated Screens Good when sending to plate?  That will be the biggest hurdle if it will not do well with them.  I am assuming it will work fine but before we start trying and Wasting plates (aka MONEY) i just want to make sure.  Thanks again everyone for your help.

• 8. Re: Indesign to Plate?
                        Daniel Flavin Level 4

InDesign handles gradients and screens just fine imo and I have sent literally thousands of plates form ID.

Note that lpi is a factor of the ppd or RIP. ID will make available whatever the ppd supports in the output tab.

As a general rule, toggle All in the Graphics tab also.

fwiw, in usage of placing pdf vs ID files. ID balks and alerts that the placed ID file has changed on open every time - nuisance factor when using ID in this not as designed manner.