9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 11:19 AM by ssprengel

Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5

BentleyChester

My HD crashed last week. Replaced it yesterday. Re-downloaded Photoshop CS5 twice last night and twice this morning (2x each for 2 different links) and each time I get error message 213:5 -- I'm in HOUR SIX of trying to get back the software I paid for and have used almost every day for the past 3 years. I want to get back to work. How?

• 1. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may be an issue with the permissions or contents of the folders that control Adobe software licensing.  You should be logged in and perhaps right-click running the installer as an administrator. 

Googling for (error 213:5) I see a forum message about someone who solved the error after resetting permissions (probably to read/write or full-control) of the PCD and SLCache folders.  Not sure where those are, necessarily, but probably under some Adobe folder, so searching your hard-drive for those folder names with the options to include hidden and system folders enabled if necessary, might lead you to a solution:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1054770

• 2. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5
            BentleyChester Level 1

I had also seen  that earlier forum message (2012 I believe) and have gone thru those folders several times this morning. It's true that there were a few permissions set to "Read Only." So I changed those to "Read-Write" -- double-checked to make sure the cache didn't re-set them back -- then downloaded the Photoshop software all over again -- and still get the error message.

Now what?

• 3. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5

Downloading the software probably won't change anything, although uninstalling the reinstalling might.

There was also a problem with the very latest PS CC 2014 and LR 5.5 CC versions, where the solution was to delete the contents of SLCache folder without deleting the folder.  I think there may also be an SLStore folder. 

Here are the instructions in case doing them will also fix your problem:

Doesn't launch after 5.5 update | "Develop module is disabled" error

You may want to start a chat session with Adobe and see what they can do.

• 4. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5
                BentleyChester Level 1

Thanks -- I would love to start a chat session with Adobe staff directly. I thought this was the way to get their attention. How do I contact them directly? The Adobe site seems designed to keep you from contacting a live human in any way.

• 5. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5
                  BentleyChester Level 1

Read through that link you posted. It's the same thing I've been doing all morning. I did it again, just to make sure I had crossed the t's and dotted the i's in the right way. Still doesn't work and the Photoshop I paid for that was working fine until last Friday still won't load.

I see where I can follow Adobe support on Twitter but see no way to ask them a direct question via text. Am I really supposed to ask technical help on Twitter?!?!

This is bizarre.

• 6. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5

You can get to a place to chat if you go through the hoops on the Contact Us / Customer Care page and click the Still Need Help.

This link may shortcut some of the hoops:

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=PHSP_downloading-installing-setting-up_downloadin g-installing_stillNeedHelp

Or just start at the first part of the URL, above, and do the hoops, again:

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

In the summary of what the chat is for, I'd put something like "Error 213:5 installing Photoshop on new computer", and leave out that it's CS5 unless they ask, so they can't immediately tell you know because that version is no longer supported.  In their mind you paid for it years ago and that revenue has long since been spent, so someone taking time to help you on an obsolete product is being nice since they have so many people using the newer products.  Hopefully you'll get someone nice that'll help you.

I think Twitter is more about monitoring announcements of system outranges or scheduled maintenance, or for widespread problem just after a major release.

• 7. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5
                      BentleyChester Level 1

Thank you very much for continuing this thread. I did finally get to a button to start a live chat with "customer service" -- and they sent me back here.

They also said there is NO tech support for CS5 now. I saw info that there was no PHONE support for that -- but I've been operating for six hours under the belief there would be some form of online tech support still.

I know all the economics. I follow the industry. But I'm old enough to be really shocked that a 3-year-old piece of software gets no support now. This six-hour experience and the Adobe strategy of strong-arming their customers into paying a monthly subscription fee is going to send me looking for alternatives to this company.

• 8. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5
                        OldBob1957 Level 4

I don't know it this thread will help:

213:5

--OB

• 9. Re: Re-installing Photoshop gets error 213:5

That is the same discussion I linked in my first reply...

There shouldn't be any good reason why a cleanly installed OS and PS CS5 should fail with licensing assuming all firewalls are open and user-rights are elevated, so something more complicated must have happened, like the Adobe products or the user's folders were restored from TimeMachine and that put things on the computer only relevant to the previous hard-drive.

A different approach might be to uninstall all Adobe products, run the CS Cleaner to hopefully wipe-out all licensing remnants, then reinstall PS CS5, after a reboot:

Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6