• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to create a searchable employee directory in Muse. How can I do this using Business Catalyst?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tasked with updating our firm website, and have no prior web design experience.  Muse seems like a great option, but I understand that Muse has no database capabilities.  I was advised that I could find a way to incorporate a searchable employee directory (database) via Business Catalyst. Are there any links that show how to do this?

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Check this may help -> User manual . Also you may use the search with keywords to explore further.

Kind Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The example app for BC apps it a staff directory and free, should be suitable or you can modify it since the source code is supplied.

BC App Store - The Business Catalyst App HQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I took a look at the link you provided, and it looks like a good solution.  It specifies that I would have to have the web commerce plan at about $40/month, but that seems high for our basically static needs.  Would I be able to access this solution if I just have the basic web plan, or the web marketing plan? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your answer. I took a look at the link you provided, and it appears that in order to use this app, I would have to sign up for the premium account which is more expensive on a monthly basis. Is that true? Or would I be able to use it with a lower cost account type. I don’t need to do commerce or newsletter mailings, so I really don't need to spend over $40 a month on hosting services if I can avoid it.

I look forward to your response.

--

Ingrid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ingrid,

The WebCommerce plan is badly named. That's only one of the features available with that plan. Really, it just has all the features BC offers, including Web Apps. The main advantage to this is that you can just do what you need to do on your website. I think on of the mistakes that we can get sucked into with regards to the plans is picking one that barely meets our needs. When we do that, we invariably find ourselves asking the questions you are asking right now. And probably, after finding a workaround for this, you will come across another issue as well. And at that point, you will come to the exact same conversation. Someone is going to suggest the solution, which requires the correct plan for you, and you are going to either accept that it is the right plan or look for another workaround. Personally, I'd rather get what I need than struggle with my current plan every time my business tries to grow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Adam. I think this looks like a good option for us. Here is our current, existing website, which I am tasked with updating:

www.bstz.com

Would you mind taking a look at the attorney directory, and confirming that the BC Meet the Team will allow me to create essentially the same sort of directory, with search fields, photos and cv? I'm sure it will, but I just need confirmation before I go too much further down the design path.

Right now I am just on trial Adobe Creative Cloud membership, so I was able to download and experiment with Muse. I believe the cost to continue this would be about $15/month. If I join Business Catalyst with eCommerce membership, would that be in addition to the Adobe Creative Cloud membership? I'm going to need to give a proposal to my partners, and I want to make sure I am accurately stating the monthly costs. We currently have our own in-house server, and I want to be able to rationalize moving away from that.

Thank you for your continuing expertise.

--

Ingrid

BSTZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Ingrid,

The simple answer is yes. With the WebCommerce plan you can do that, with or without the Meet the Team app. The app would make it nicer to manage on the admin side, but isn't required. What is required is the Web Apps module, which is what Meet the Team is built on.

The more helpful answer, though, is that you will need some BC skills to do the job. You will need to set up the directory and customize it yourself. The app just gives you a nice interface for the admin.

another thing to keep in mind, just in case you are misunderstanding what you're paying for, is that Creative Cloud is a membership, but your monthly fee to Business Catalyst is just a hosting fee for your website. It doesn't buy you anything else, including a BC Partner portal. It's just for that web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I seem to be even more confused. I don't really need web hosting; my company already owns its own server and has been hosting our existing website. That being said, I don't mind hosting with your service if that is the only way I can get my Muse-based updated website to give me a searchable attorney directory.

I was under the impression that the only way I could get the searchable directory I need is with your Meet the Team app. I was also under the impression that the only way I could access and use this tool is by signing up for the eCommerce Business Catalyst plan. So what I really need to know, is how to I get access to the Meet the Team app, to incorporate into my website?

I now understand that my use of Muse is separate from my use of Business Catalyst; I'm just trying to understand how I can use the Meet the Team app to create my attorney directory. What do I need to sign up for to be able to use this web app?

Thank you for your patience in clarifying. There are times when it would just be a lot easier and efficient to pick up a phone.

--

Ingrid

BSTZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meet the Team is a Business Catalyst app. It's essentially a Business Catalyst plugin. Business Catalyst is a SaaS (software as a service). It is a system of integrated website tools and features (like CRM, email marketing, ecommerce, etc) that allow web designers to build and host websites for businesses. It's an all-in-one solution.

There is no possible way to put a Business Catalyst app on a non-BC site.

Muse and Dreamweaver are Creative Cloud web design programs. They have nothing more to do with BC than their ability to connect, and push changes, to a BC site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! I finally understand all of that. I know that BC offers 3 levels of plans, and it sounds like the plan I would need to take advantage of web apps like Meet the Team is the webcommerce plan. If I sign up for one of the less expensive plans, I won't have access to the web apps. I don't need commerce, or CRM, or email marketing, but I am a beginner who needs the webapps and the support, obviously!

Thank you again for your time.

--

Ingrid

BSTZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help, Ingrid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines