16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 10:17 AM by A.T. Romano

How to change the way images appear in elements?

Limsleia

I am using premiere elements 12 and i have 32 images that over the course of about 1 second each i want them to appear one at a time on the screen in the shape of a box around the edges of the video. Is there a way to do this?

• 1. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

limsleia

What do you mean by a box...a frame or something else? Is the box shaping coming in with the image or is it your intent to put it in Premiere Elements?

What are these 32 images - stills. If so what pixel dimensions?

Do you want the image to appear once and then be replaced by the next and next and so on for 32 images in 1 second?

Assuming the later, a basic part of this would be to take the duration of each (all at one time) to 1 frame (0.033 seconds, NTSC 30 frames per second set up) with Time Stretch.

Please supply more details so that we might fine tune the reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
            Limsleia Level 1

So the box is not coming witht he images.  I want the images to pop up every 1 second and as they appear they appear only on the outside edge of the viewing screen and form a rectangle around the perimeter of the display and to have words appear in the center. I dont want the images to replace one another i want one to appear and it stays then 1 second later the next appears and it stays and so on.  Thank you for taking the time to try and help me learn. I am having alot of fun and hoping to create some very impressive things. =)

• 3. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
              Limsleia Level 1

Sorry didnt see an edit button but left out that the images are around 100x100 pixels. Give or take a pixel or two.

• 4. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

Thanks for the reply. Still zeroing in on the details.

I am going to work on this and post an example of what I think you are seeking soon if I do not get any detours.

What is your project preset for this project - the program's default NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or the PAL counter part (1920 x 1080) or something else?

My current understanding is that you want each image to enter the screen and go directly to its place where it is to become a component of this rectangular frame/box that is being built up solely from these 32 images. If so, what is the sequence

a. top left to top right

then

b. top right to bottom right

then

c. bottom right to bottom left

then

d. bottom left to top right

And this is all going to happen in 1 second to get the frame built with 32 images?

Please let me know if I have interpreted your plan correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                  Limsleia Level 1

I will be using the NTSC AVCHD.
                  The sequence is not important. You seem to have the right idea with what i am going for. I envisioned it as the images appearing seemingly at random Or in a spiral starting at the 4 corners but if i can get an understanding of how to do this at all then i can probably adjust the sequencing later on

And there is one correction here.  This does not all happen in 1 second. It should be 32 seconds in total. So 1 second passes and the first image appears. Second 2 comes and the next image appears. Second 3 comes and the next and so forth.

• 6. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

Thanks for the update. Good news that "should be 32 seconds in total".

Are you aware of the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace fx Effects/Presets/PiPs 25% and 40% and the Slide Ins, Spin Outs, et al.

Maybe experiment with those while I am putting together an example for your consideration.

ATR

Add On...Is the NTSC AVCHD going to be 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720?

• 8. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

I have developed a workflow for you to consider for the photos animation that you have described.

I should have a sample posted as a YouTube 1920 x 1080 video in a few hours or, more likely, tomorrow sometime before noontime.

How are you planning on having others view your finished work - TV or computer? I am having problems getting all 32 photos included

in the "box". At my 20% scale and using the 100 x 100 pixels size images that you said you have, I am getting about 18 photos in

the box.

But, my sample should tell us if I am going in the right direction on this from the point of view of design if not count.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                        Limsleia Level 1

Hi, ATR. The PIP you showed me actually worked very well. It took a bit of figuring out but you painted a clear picture with those steps. I ran into the same problem as you as far as not fitting all the images in so this is what i came up with so far. It is just a rough draft as there are several flaws i later noticed with the images but also in the way they came up that i want to fine tune. But here is what i was going after.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGLBk8raSg

I have a question though. With the PIP 25% options is there a way to change how fast the images move into their position? Im likely going to try and replace these images with short video clips to better describe the scope of this project. The biggest feedback ive gotten so far is that this doesnt make sense and nobody has any idea what it was made for which is good feedback to get early on. =) Thanks for your help and i hope you still finish yours so i can see how it differs and learn more from you.

• 10. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

Thanks for your success and good work with the fx Effects/Presets/PiPs.

I just got finished with my sample, had posted it to YouTube, and then found your latest post with your YouTube sample which had a lot of nice and interesting activity. I did not envision from your description many photos coming in at one time and then scattering to a frame position.

I did manage to get 30 photos into all this based on

25% PiPs

25% LL

PiP 25% LL Spin Top

I had to take the Scale from 25 to 15 to make the fit.

Getting the sizing and spacing involved a lot of detail, not difficult, but time consuming and a lot of attention to detail. This is

the draft at this time.

30 Photos Animation Latest Draft - YouTube

Later today I will work on the question of speed of image movements in PiPs or other.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

About

I have a question though. With the PIP 25% options is there a way to change how fast the images move into their position?

One of the ways that I see that you can do that is as follows with the following considerations.

Using a photo to which has been applied

fx Effect

Presets

PiPs

25% PiPs

25% LL

PiP 25% LL Spin...Top

This is what I used in my sample video that I posted. As per your instructions, I setup for it to take 1 second for each photo to get into its frame position.

That preset comes with keyframed Position and Rotation properties. And Position and Rotation each have two keyframes, one at 00;00;00;00 and one at 00;00;01;00. (1 second). If I move the 00;00;01;00 keyframe settings to 00;00;00;15 (0.5 seconds), I make the photo move faster getting into its place in the frame. If I move the 00;00;01;00 keyframe settings to 00;00;02;00 (2 seconds), it take longer for the photo to move into place in the frame. Here are screenshot examples:

Screenshot 1. The Adobe PiP 25% LL Spin...Top as per Adobe. 1 Second For Photo To Get Into Frame Place.

1second.JPG

To get the Keyframe Viewing in the Motion Panel expanded, click the Show/Hide Keyframe Controls icon at top right of Expert workspace.

Screenshot 2. Keyframing for Faster Photo Movement Into Frame. 0.5 Second For Photo To Get Into Frame Place.

You want the Position setting 526.7, 812.2 and Rotation 2x0.0 at the 15 frames (0.5 second) mark.

HalfSecondJPG.JPG

Screenshot 3. Keyframing for Slower Photo Movement Into Frame. 2.0 Seconds For Photo To Get Into Frame Place.

You want the Position setting 526.7, 812.2 and Rotation 2x0.0 at the 2 seconds mark.

2 seconds.JPG

If you get into keyframes in a big way, we could get into "Bezier Curves", but I do not believe they apply here as does

the movement of the keyframes as I have described. More on that another time.

ATR

• 12. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                              Limsleia Level 1

Hi, ATR. Ive been experimenting a bit more and learning as much as i can.  That tip you showed me to control the speed of the image was a big help. Im redoing the video now. Using  clips of video instead of images Some of the biggest feedback i got was that nobody knew what the movie was about or for so i went back to the drawing board. 

So this is for a video game channel on youtube. It is supposed to be the intro video before the actual video plays hence the upscale music and video game characters in the previous video. Ive since recorded several small videos i want to put in of various games and i got 4 of them in where they just happned to have content that was the apropriate length.

Ok so now ive got other videos that were not so lucky that i had to trim with the ctrl+K function. Now i took the right amount of time and wound up with 4 different video clips that equaled out to the right amount of time and i figured out i could group the videos however i cannot figure out how to merge them back into 1 clip. The problem here is when i apply the PIP effect it still treats the grouped set of 4 videos as 4 videos so the pip  shows the first clip then that clip vanishes and it moves on to the next.  Any ideas on this?

Thank you for all your time and help. I will show you the finished product once i am satisfied with it.. Or if there is another draft. =) Im having alot of fun learning this program and you are a big part of that.

• 13. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                                Limsleia Level 1

I found a workaround so far. If i do the clips in their own project and then publish the project they become one continous video file so then i can implement that into my main project without the pip problem ive been experiencing thus far

ATR do you know of any way to achieve what im after without having to go through these hoops or is this the best way to do what i want?

• 14. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                                  Limsleia Level 1

Ok! So last post for today. Lol. Here is version 2. Game Over Intro 2 - YouTube

• 15. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

Regarding the following in post numbered 12

The problem here is when i apply the PIP effect it still treats the grouped set of 4 videos as 4 videos so the pip  shows the first clip then that clip vanishes and it moves on to the next.  Any ideas on this?

You could explore the following to see if it will work for you, depends.... The worst case is the following with each thumbnail visible but each displaying a slow motion effect greater than the previous one - based on clip duration increase associated with slowing motion in clip.

To equalize the total duration for each track file, use the Time Stretch Tool, accessed by right clicking the video and selecting Time Stretch, followed by typing into the Duration timecode the total duration indicated.

Depending on original video durations and the extent of the duration increase needed to equalize the individual track durations, this might work without noticeable slow motion side effects.

Your workaround sounds good and creative.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: How to change the way images appear in elements?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Limsleia

Your question encouraged me to look deeper into templates that could be created solely in a Premiere Elements project and then subsequently used from project to project.

The following recently published blog post includes my detailed explorations in this area.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE:12 Transfers from Project to Project

ATR