6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 11:22 AM by A.T. Romano

dvd menu errors

Matt7177

When I preview a menu in the movie menu section the men works like a charm. when I export the movie to DVD the menu does not display properly e.g. the highlights below selected item are misshaped/discoloured or simply missing.

I have burned a huge number of discs trying to rectify the problem but am getting nowhere.

Any ideass

I'm running premier elements 12 on a 2008 Mac Pro 8 core and Mac OSX 10.7.5 - tone of available disc space and Ram

Thanks

• 1. Re: dvd menu errors
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Matt7177

Premiere Elements 12 Mac. Have you updated to 12.1 yet? Please see Expert workspace Help Menu/Update.

What specific disc menu are you using?

What project preset are you using? (See Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect ratio even if the fields look grayed out.) One of the secondary functions of the project preset is to direct the program as to which set

of .psd themes will be offered you in Movie Menus (s, w, or hd). Does the disc menu selected in Movie Menus have a HD marking at its

top right corner?

Are you customizing your disc menu in the Movie Menu customization area of the program? If so, what do your disc menu customizations

include?

And, when you get to Publish+Share/Disc/ what are you selecting, burn to

NTSC DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc

NTSC DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc

AVCHD format on DVD disc

The above requested information will help us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: dvd menu errors
            Matt7177 Level 1

Hi

Will apply the update now - didn't know there was one only downloaded and bought it a couple of weeks ago  Doh!

have tried a couple of disc menus - Stage and Faux widescreen (No HD)

Project settings:

project settings.jpg

made a few changes to the disc menu - moved some text boxes around and added a music track

When I export I use the Pal DVD Widescreen Dolby preset - Interestingly I set it off on and NTSC preset over night and that seems to work fine but as I'm in the UK I assumed i needed to use the Pal one?!

Thanks for your help, desperately need to get this working today

Matt

• 3. Re: dvd menu errors
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Matt

Let us cross check some details to make sure we are in sync on them.

Your project preset is PAL AVCHD AVCHDp50.

In my case, I selected the Stage disc menu (it is not designated as a HD theme.)

When you were moving around text boxes, at any time did you see the bounding box for an item turning to red. That would

indicate button overlap. Did you remember leaving any "button overlap" situations?

Now when you get to the burn to disc, you should be selecting the preset Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and the preset PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD, and then hitting the Burn button. Are you doing that? I wondered when you wrote

When I export I use the Pal DVD Widescreen Dolby preset - Interestingly I set it off on and NTSC preset over night and that seems to work fine but as I'm in the UK I

Your clarification on the above might contain the answer.

I am not seeing any problems with the burning AVCHDp50 to PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD with the disc menus.

We will be watch for your confirmation on the above. And, then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...In this matter, if you burn to disc with a disc menu that has not been customized in any way, do you get good menus in the end product?

• 4. Re: dvd menu errors
                Matt7177 Level 1

Some bounding boxes went red but I moved them so that they didn't overlap anymore.

To clarify - I have been buying all discs using the PAL_Widescren_Dolby preset and they have all had menu issues.

I have now tried two different exports using the NTSC preset and the disc menus work fine - I am just concerned that the resulting discs will have lower quality video and may have compatibility issues with some players.

I have now updated to 12.1 but I haven't tried to burn any more discs using the PAL preset. The big problem is that it takes around four hours to burn each disc and I am running out of time to get the multiple copies I need to create before saturday morning.

I feel I may have to just go with the NTSC exports if you think it will not cause any compatibility issues.

thanks

Matt

• 5. Re: dvd menu errors
                  Matt7177 Level 1

Here are a couple of pics of what the menu errors are looking like.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

• 6. Re: dvd menu errors
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Matt

It is my impression that European players play PAL and NTSC DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. And, there are no region codes involved with Premiere Elements burn to discs. Do you know what type of players your viewers will have?

Where are you playing your DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc - TV or computer?

I do not know if you have time for more testing, but...when the project preset (AVCHDp50) directs the program as to what set of psd files to offer you in Movie Menus, it is not picking the Stage widescreen set, it is selecting the standard set, and definitely not the hd set. If you were to use the Broadway HD theme instead of the Stage theme in your PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD burn to, is your menu issue in the final product resolved? I could give you instructions on how to force the program to use the widescreen set, but it will take time (be it ever so short).

More later.

ATR