7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 9:49 PM by NHerby

After Effects 13.0

NHerby

Hi

Been using AE since V4 without big problems. I've just updated to V13 yesterday and it is a nightmare!

Here's a list of the main problems:

Ram Preview often returns "AE needs 2 or more frames to playback". Tried many fix for this but the problem still comes back now and then !

Ram preview sometimes only renders 1 second or even less despite 10GB of ram. I know how to fix this: restart AE! When it happens 20 times in 1 hour, it is just unbearable!

After working 5 hours on a project, I had to restart everything from scratch since AE crashed when opening the project with the error "after effects cc crash occurred while invoking effect plug in warp stabilizer". Despite a long search, I didn't find any solution

AE windows gets minimized when I switch to another application. Don't know why or how to stop this

Installed CUDA 6.0.37 but I'm not able to enable GPU ray-tracing

And finally, when I try to encode the video with media encoder, I have a "connecting to dynamic link server failed" when I import the .aep file

Well, I've tried to render directly from AE but found out that the mp4/H264 options have disappeared

I'm running on a Mac Pro/OSX 10.9.2 with 2 x 2.26GHz Quad Core intel xeon, 10GB of DDR3 and a Nvidia Geforce GT120 512MB.

• 1. Re: After Effects 13.0: What a hell?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do you have a previous version of AE on the same machine?  Do you experience any of the same problems with those versions?  Have you installed the current updates?

• 2. Re: After Effects 13.0: What a hell?
            NHerby Level 1

I had AE 12.2 installed but had to remove it to make room for the new version.

On the exact same computer, the V12.2 was running flawlessly without any of the problems described above.

• 3. Re: After Effects 13.0: What a hell?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your hard drive is so full that you can't have both versions of After Effects installed, that's going to be the source of a number of problems for your whole machine and not just AE.

• 4. Re: After Effects 13.0: What a hell?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NHerby wrote:

Ram Preview often returns "AE needs 2 or more frames to playback". Tried many fix for this but the problem still comes back now and then !

Which fixes have you tried? I've seen anti-virus and firewalls cause issues sometimes.

NHerby wrote:

Ram preview sometimes only renders 1 second or even less despite 10GB of ram. I know how to fix this: restart AE! When it happens 20 times in 1 hour, it is just unbearable!

Perhaps you're experiencing caching issues. Have you tried clearing caches?

NHerby wrote:

After working 5 hours on a project, I had to restart everything from scratch since AE crashed when opening the project with the error "after effects cc crash occurred while invoking effect plug in warp stabilizer". Despite a long search, I didn't find any solution

Did you try opening the project with caps lock on? You could then remove Warp Stabilizer and see if it works then. Did you try importing that project into a new one? That often works when crashes occur.

NHerby wrote:

Installed CUDA 6.0.37 but I'm not able to enable GPU ray-tracing

You have CC 2014, why are you trying to use ray-tracing? Since CC (version 12) you have a faster-rendering, more powerful tool at your disposal.

If you look at the System requirements for After Effects, it says GPU acceleration of the ray-traced renderer "requires a supported NVIDIA GPU and with 1024+ MB of texture memory". You said your card was 512.

NHerby wrote:

And finally, when I try to encode the video with media encoder, I have a "connecting to dynamic link server failed" when I import the .aep file

Well, I've tried to render directly from AE but found out that the mp4/H264 options have disappeared

Render a production codec from AE and then use that in the Adobe Media Encoder. If you were using GPU accelerated ray-tracing, you would want to do this anyway because the Media Encoder doesn't use the GPU to accelerate it in any version.

Even without the GPU acceleration, it was never an ideal workflow to render MP4's directly out of AE. I have always suggested rendering a lossless (or nearly lossless) version out of AE first and use the Adobe Media Encoder to create your deliverable. The Adobe Media Encoder produces better results at smaller file sizes.

• 5. Re: After Effects 13.0
                  NHerby Level 1

Thanks Szalam for your answers.

For the hard drive, I will soon buy a bigger one but I'm running low on space for a while and this has never been a problem when using AE V12.

For the "AE needs 2 or more frames to playback", I've tried to play/stop the video, encode the sources files with a codec without keyframe, clear the cache. None of those worked. I'm gonna try today to disable "render multiple frames simultaneously" to see if it helps. I don't have any antivirus or firewall on this machine.

For the very short ram preview, I didn't try to clear the cache. I will try but would like best to find a more permanent fix. I'll see if disabling multiple frames simultaneously helps.

For the project that cannot open. I tried to open it with caps lock on but it didn't help. But I didn't know the trick to import the project into a new one. I'll give it a try if this happens again. However, since I restarted this project, the problem didn't come back.

And finally, for the rendering through media encoder, I usually import the AE project file directly in media encoder. This is way faster than rendering a lossless file out of AE then going through the encoder and I didn't notice any difference in terms of quality on the encoded file. Your suggested workflow works but, for big projects, the lossless files would just fill up my hard drive. That's why I really need to be able to create mp4 directly from the AE project files in media encoder.

• 6. Re: After Effects 13.0
                    nmoelln22

I've been having the exact same problem with Ram Preview on two different machines ever since I upgraded to AE CC 2014.  Before the upgrade I never had this problem. It's annoying and I have to do the same thing - shut down AE and reopen it. Nothing else seems to fix it.

• 7. Re: After Effects 13.0
                      NHerby Level 1

Just found out why Media Encoder cannot import AE projects files:

After updating to the latest version (CC2014), the previous version of media encoder was still there and the shortcut I had on my desktop was launching this previous version.

I made a try with the last version and it works.

That's one problem solved but I still live a nightmare with the ram preview