2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 3:15 AM by nawest

how do I control the new document size when copying from ID and pasting into PS?

nawest

We've recently upgraded from CS3 to CC and have come across various problems including this one:

In ID CS3 we would create graphics to be used on a web site, copy them, open PS, create a new document and paste. The PS document would be exactly the same proportions as the pasted item. If we increased the size of the items before copying, the new PS document size would also increase.

However, in CC, the new PS document created is tiny despite the size of the original.

For example, if I copy a 168mm wide item from ID and paste into PS CS3, the PS document created is 1984px wide at 300dpi.

The same item pasted into PS CC creates a document 476px wide at 72dpi.

How do I revert PS CC to the previous behaviour?

• 1. Re: how do I control the new document size when copying from ID and pasting into PS?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

nawest wrote:

For example, if I copy a 168mm wide item from ID and paste into PS CS3, the PS document created is 1984px wide at 300dpi.

The same item pasted into PS CC creates a document 476px wide at 72dpi.

No a docuent has one and only one DPI setting. If the document you paste into has a 300DPI resolution and you past into it from a 72 DPI document Photoshop will match the document DPI.  The document DPI does not change its still 300dpi.

168mm = 6.61417" at 72dpi that would be 476.22024px your 476 pixels.  It looks like the way your pasting Photoshop is not scaling the paste up to match the document resolution and is just retainning its 476 pixel size.   476Px at 300DPI is  1.59"  about 1/4 the original 6.6" size. To retain the original 6.6"  size the 476PX need to become 1980PX. So if Photoshop failed to scale the new layer you can use free transform on the new layer set the width and height to 1980/476 = 416%.  300DPI/72DPI=416.6%

• 2. Re: how do I control the new document size when copying from ID and pasting into PS?
            nawest Level 1

Free transform poses problems when pasting into multiple documents though. For example, when creating graphic email footers, they all need to be exactly the same size. If I paste from ID into a correctly sized PS doc and they appear smaller, I then have to manually enlarge them all by eye which will result in them all being slightly different sizes.

The fundamental problem is the difference in the way CS3 and CC act when copying and pasting. I don't know of it's a problem with copying from ID or pasting in PS, but the CC method just isn't as usable as the old version.