16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 7:58 AM by A.T. Romano

No sound in video/photos going offline

granolakid Level 1

I have a macbook pro.  I recently installed 10.9.4 update.  I was reviewing the video that I made.  I reviewed the video after installing the update and had none of the following problems.  When I look at parts of it in the preview window, I have sound.  When I play it, there is absolutely no sound.  I have no idea what has happened.

The other thing that happens periodically is that the still images that I imported from a folder periodically go off line.  They have been in the same folder since I started working on this project.

I would welcome help.

Thanks.

barb

• 1. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

Where is the folder with your Premiere Elements source media - external hard drive?

Have you been moving the project's files and folders or simply renaming them within the project or at the save location?

Could you clarify

I was reviewing the video that I made.  I reviewed the video after installing the update and had none of the following problems.  When I look at parts of it in the preview window, I have sound.  When I play it, there is absolutely no sound.  I have no idea what has happened.

1. "I reviewed the video after installing the update and had none of the following problems"

Where did you review it - the Edit area monitor following Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets or other?

"When I look at parts of it in the preview windows, I have sound."

Please confirm that by Preview Window, you mean the Preview Window you open by double clicking the file in Project Assets or on the Timeline.

"When I play it, there is absolutely no sound."

Where are you playing it - Edit area monitor or elsewhere?

Did you go to Expert workspace Edit Menu/Prefences/Audio Hardware and click on ASIO to bring up the ASIO settings?

If so, was Input and Output enabled and settings correct under each?

If you start a new project with the same files, does the problem exist in the new project?

Please review the above and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
            granolakid Level 1

I store the images in a folder on my desktop. They have been in that folder

since the beginning of the project. I name the image when and that is the

name that I use when I import it to the project.   I do have my files

backed up on an external hard drive.

1.  I viewed the video in monitor panel.  This is where I have always

watched and edited it.

2.  The answer is YES.  Please confirm that by Preview Window, you mean the

Preview Window you open by double clicking the file in Project Assets or on

the Timeline.

3.  I play it in the edit area monitor.

4.  Did you go to Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and

click on ASIO to bring up the ASIO settings?

I am using Adobe for mac.  I went preferences/audio hardware.  I don't see

ASIO.  What I am seeing is:

Default Device:  Built-in-Output

Buffersize:  512

I have not touched these at any time.

If you start a new project with the same files, does the problem exist in

the new project?

I imported one of the interviews from the Elements Organizer.  It was fine.

There was sound.  The audio of the original video project was cleaned up

back in November.

I hope this info helps.  My knowledge is not that broad.  But I am open to

learning.  Thank you so much for your help.

barb

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

I just saw your reply and will answer it more fully in the morning. It is about 12:30 am here.

Just a quick question. In sequence of events leading up to the audio situation, did you incorporate any narration

created with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool in the project to co-exist with audio on the numbered audio tracks and

possibly also on the Soundtrack?

ATR

• 4. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                granolakid Level 1

I did not incorporate narration.  I do have a song and a bit of music on an

audio track but it is along with still images.  The whole situation seems

so weird.

barb

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:24 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

Thanks for the replies and the additional information.

I have an "idea" about the sound issue that you described. All that I am about to describe fits your situation word for word. In spite of all that, is this the explanation for your specific situation?

First, please remind me what version of Premiere Elements that you are working with on your Mac computer? I could not find that information in any of your previous threads. My recollection is version 10. The idea is the same for version 10, 11, or 12 - some feature details may differ between 10 and 11/12.

If you have the Volume control so that the sound is muted, you will get playback with sound in the Preview Window, but you will not get sound when you play back the Timeline audio in the Edit area monitor.

Premiere Elements 10

a. Go to Sceneline workspace. Click on the Speaker icon next to Video and Soundtrack to make sure that the volume slider that appears is not moved to the bottom.

b. Go to Timeline (Timeline workspace), select the audio clip, go to Properties/Volume Panel expanded/ and check the Volume slider there to make sure that it is not moved to the far left ( to a - dB level to infinity).

c. See Audio Tools icon above Timeline (Timeline workspace), click on it, and in the drop down list select Audio Mix. Are any of the audio tracks at 0 db or moved all the way down?

d. In the Timeline workspace, if you look at the audio clip's rubber band (yellow line that runs horizontally through clip), is the rubberband at the bottom of the clip's Timeline thumbnail?

Also, under Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware, are Input and Output devices are enabled?

Please review and consider.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                    granolakid Level 1

Hello AT,

I have version 11.  I am working in Expert View.

a. Go to Sceneline workspace. Click on the Speaker icon next to Video and

Soundtrack to make sure that the volume slider that appears is not moved to

the bottom.

I don't see this.

b. Go to Timeline (Timeline workspace), select the audio clip, go to

Properties/Volume Panel expanded/ and check the Volume slider there to make

sure that it is not moved to the far left ( to a - dB level to infinity).

*I selected a clip and went to the adjustments panel.  The volume slide is

about 3/4 of the way to the plus side.*

c. See Audio Tools icon above Timeline (Timeline workspace), click on it,

and in the drop down list select Audio Mix. Are any of the audio tracks at

0 db or moved all the way down?

*When I go up to tools and click on Audio Mixer, Mute is not checked on any

of the tracks.*

*Audio 1, Narration, Audio 2, Soundtrack the slider is at 0.0 for all of

these tracks.*

d. In the Timeline workspace, if you look at the audio clip's rubber band

(yellow line that runs horizontally through clip), is the rubberband at the

bottom of the clip's Timeline thumbnail?

The rubber band is in the middle. I don't see the thumbnail of the clip.

Also, under Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware, are Input and Output

devices are enabled?

When I go to preferences Audio Hardware:

Default device:  Built-in Output shows

Buffersize: 512

*I don't recall playing with any of these preferences.  How could the sound

have just disappeared?*

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

barb

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:23 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

Thanks.

In Expert workspace, Project Assets, you should have thumbnails for the audio files that you brought into the project and onto the Timeline (as standalone audio files or as video with linked audio files)

If you go to the Expert workspace Timeline, right click one of the Timeline audio files with no sound, and select "Reveal in Project", do you see

that file highlighted in Project Assets. You should. When you look at the highlighted file's thumbnail in Project Assets, does it have the circular arrows characteristic of a missing media file?

Also, while you are in Project Assets, what happens if you right click the file's thumbnail and select Replace Footage and do just that with the replacement being the same file from the computer hard drive? Does the file replacement in the project have sound in the Edit area monitor?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                        granolakid Level 1

One question before I follow through on your above suggestions regarding

this question:  Also, while you are in Project Assets, what happens if you

right click the file's thumbnail and select Replace Footage and do just

that with the replacement being the same file from the computer hard drive?

Does the file replacement in the project have sound in the Edit area

monitor?

Since the sound of the whole project has been edited, cleaned up so to

speak, in terms of evening out the sound (my son did this back in November)

would this mean that this would have to be done all over again?  Should I

just import replacement footage and put it at the end of the video?

Thanks.

barb

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

What I am trying to determine at this point is the integrity of the audio files that you now have in the project and what they are tracing back to on the computer hard drive.

"Replace Footage" for one of these problem clips would service this troubleshooting purpose. It will replace what you have now, and the added perk with this particular feature is that it replaces but retains the edits of what it is replacing.

The counterpart of this might be to import an audio file into this project and drag it to a blank area to the far right of your work.

Then determine if it has sound at playback in Edit area monitor as well as in Preview Window.

I am wondering if any of the November clean up might have triggered some media - project connections issues?

ATR

• 10. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                            granolakid Level 1

Hello AT,

I was about to try your latest suggestions.  I opened my project and

noticed that the audio line has changed from yellow to black, except for

song that I had written for the project and imported a few weeks ago.  I

tried rendering the project.  The sound for the song, which had disappeared

along with the video sound was back.

I still have sound in the preview window.

I thought I was almost done and what a mess.  No sound and the still images

went off line.

Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to respond to you because I am

working and come home very exhausted.

Know that I appreciate the help that you and the Forum offer.

barb

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 11. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                              granolakid Level 1

One more thing.  The song is on the audio 1 track and all other sound is on

the audio 2 track.

barb

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Barbara Harrison <

• 12. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

For best results, I will reply to your latest posts in the morning. It is about 12:30 am here.

I want to prepare some screenshots for you to check out in relation to your Premiere Elements problems.

We are here for you whenever your schedule permits. You get more done in 5 minutes when refreshed than you can get done after a hard day of work.

ATR

• 13. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                                  granolakid Level 1

Should I try downloading the video from my external hard drive and see

whether it works?

barb

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:23 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

I am going to start with a bit of a recap...

1. In post numbered 10, you wrote about audio line color changes, return of song sound and video sound.

I opened my project and

noticed that the audio line has changed from yellow to black, except for

song that I had written for the project and imported a few weeks ago.  I

tried rendering the project.  The sound for the song, which had disappeared

along with the video sound was back.

Please refer to the following screenshot. What I think that you are seeing represents audio track display style. There are

two versions of the audio track display style - one with a yellow horizontal line and the waveform, the other with just a black line.

Changing from one audio track display style should not affect the volume of the sound. What will affect the volume of the

sound is if that line (yellow or black) is moved down (lowers to mute) or is moved up to increased the sound.

AudioDisplay.JPG

2. At the latest report, you have your song on the numbered audio track 1 and all the rest (audio linked to video) on the numbered audio track 2.

Do you have sound on both audio track 1 and 2 at the present time?

a. Whatever audio file is missing in the Timeline, look for it in the computer desktop Folder where you say you keep your project assets.

Is everything still there?

b. In your latest post, you wrote

Should I try downloading the video from my external hard drive and see whether it works?

If the original for the song file and the other files for the project are in this computer desktop Folder, why would you be wanting to

download from the external hard drive? What we want to do is to assure that the file thumbnail in Project Assets/Timeline is still

tracing back to the original which you have said is in the computer desktop Folder. You want to make sure the trace back is still in effect.

If the song on Audio 1 is without sound at the present time

1. Right click it on the Timeline (or whatever the Mac equivalent is right click) and select Reveal in Project.

2. Look to Project Assets to find the thumbnail that was highlighted/selected when you gave the Reveal in Project command for Audio 1 song.

3. Right click the highlighted/selected thumbnail in Project Assets, select Replace Footage.

4. In the Replace Footage dialog, navigate to the original song file in the computer desktop Folder and select it. Click Open.

5. Does the song now have sound when it is played back in the Edit area monitor?

(Remember when you use Replace Footage, you should be retaining all the edits that went into the file that you are replacing.

Please review and consider and then let me know of your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                                      granolakid Level 1

Hello AT,

I was able to connect with the person who runs the public access channel.

She works in Adobe Premiere Pro.  It turns out that I had broken links.

When the project opened and asked me where an image was, rather than

responding, I had been selecting cancel.  Had I followed through with

finding the image or selecting skip until I reached an image that had gone

off line or the audio as well, I would have been able to reconnect the link

and get reconnect the audio and image links.

The audio line still remains black, but I now have sound again, as well as

have reconnected the broken still image links.

I can now finish the video.

I still have to say it is easier to work in the flesh to straighten out a

problem, BUT without the Adobe Forum I don't know what I would do.  You

guys are so knowledgeable and always willing to work with me.  Thanks so

much for being there.

barb

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:47 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: No sound in video/photos going offline
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

Thanks for the follow up and the good news that you are moving forward with your project.

Media disconnect issues have troublesome consequences. Use of the "Where as is the file....?" and Replace Footage are two aids in trying to

work out those situations.

As always, to be avoided are moving, deleting, and changing names of files/folders that went into the project after the project has been saved closed.

If you have not already, you might want to explore the Project Archiver (File Menu/Project Archiver and its Archive this Project or Copy options).

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

We are glad to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR