6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 11:10 AM by A.T. Romano

PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?

vdifronzo

Good day - I am looking forward to positive feedback.

I have rendered and uploaded footage from a Canon T5i to YouTube using a Custom Preset (modified the stock AVCHD MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 24 preset) as indicated :

SOURCE

Clip, Sequence 1

1920x1080 (1.0), 23.976 fps, Progressive, 00:00:09:01

48000 Hz, Stereo

OUTPUT

NTSC, 1920x1080, 23.976 fps, Progressive

VBR, 2 Pass, Target 13.89, Max 15.36 Mbps

AAC, 160 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

Profile: High

Level:  5.1

checked RENDER AT MAXIMUM DEPTH

**I have done many tests, and have used this one based on Google research.

Not confidant about the bitrate settings, but I have done some tests and don't really see a difference at these lower  settings (?)

I opted for 2 Pass because I read it will increase the quality of Video.

Objective: To get quality video at 480p on YouTube all the way through.

Many others with active YouTube channels accomplish this from the 1st Second.

On my test footage at: Test Footage Render 1 CUSTOM 23.976 - YouTube

You will see an increase in the quality of video at the 5 Second mark when viewed at 480p.

Check the grey shirt in the foreground, or the wood fence.

The quality snaps (increases) at this mark, but doesn't start off as clear.

If you change the settings to 1080p it's clear all the way through.

I just can't understand why the clarity in 480p is not effective until the 5 Second mark.

I don't think most viewers will opt for 1080p (lazy)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?
          vdifronzo Level 1

MORE TESTING

Out of curiosity, I uploaded a 2nd video of two combined clips for a total of 23 seconds.

I put the original video that I posted at the end of this 2nd Video to rule out any issues with the clip itself.  

Again, the first 5 seconds of the Video was blurry, and then it became clear at the 5 second mark.

The original clip (part 2 here) was perfect at 480p all the way through.

It appears to be the first 5 seconds of any Video.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• 2. Re: PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

vdifronzo

Although an interesting observation, I do not see this as a Premiere Elements (any version) matter.  And, what you wrote seems to give

that impression when you wrote

It appears to be the first 5 seconds of any Video.

With this 5 second mark matter, you are talking about YouTube viewing settings (1080p vs 480p) at YouTube after your video has long since been converted to a flash format by YouTube.

I have no idea what resolution YouTube works off of....the 1920 x 1080 or other. Might not YouTube's automatic converting  from 1920 x 1080 to 854 x 480 take some time (even 5 seconds). This "notion" would be consistent with your 1920 x 1080 not having the 5 second issue at the 1080p viewing setting.

Have you presented this matter to YouTube where they should have explanations for what you are observing?

ATR

• 3. Re: PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?
              vdifronzo Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your reply.

I have not contacted YouTube regarding my observation.

However, I have gone back to established channels that I follow on a regular basis, and I've discovered that they too have the 5 sec blur at 480p.

Two of them I almost missed because they have graphics introductions.

I presume there's a very specific reason the intros are 5-6 seconds.

It's much harder to notice the blur on a graphic :-)

Looks like I'll be creating a simple graphic intro for my commercial work.

My goal was to really nail the export settings for clarity at 480p, and I'm happy with the results.

Any suggestions on what I've posted as my OUTPUT?

The only thing I don't understand is the bitrate.

One post I read suggested 13 -15 and the other 20-23 (?)

I'll have to see what the T5i's capabilities are, but it seems the lower settings are working.

I would just like to understand what it means rather than just get it right arbitrarily.

Thanks again,

-Vito

• 4. Re: PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vito

Even if you have project preset = NTSC DLSR 1080p24 or PAL DLSR 1080p24, look at the export of a 480p24 and see what that looks like at YouTube with regard to these 5 second time to which you refer.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets  = MP4 - NTSC DV Widescreen or MP4 - PAL DV Widescreen

Let us focus on MP4 - NTSC DV Widescreen for now to keep my details

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset, customize the Export Setting as follows

480p24.JPG

That will give you a AVCHD.mp4 (480p24 16:9). Does that file when uploaded to YouTube and viewed at the 480p viewing set have the 5 seconds issue?

Lots of ifs...

a. I am understanding this YouTube (non Premiere Elements) issue

and hows...

b. YouTube will process the about file for viewing purposes.

Advanced encoding settings - YouTube Help

Note the YouTube Advanced Encoding link shows

480p with the 2500 kbps (kilobits per second) bitrate.

As shown in the above screenshot, you are looking at 3 to 6 Mbps (megabits per second) equivalent to 3072 to 6144 kbps (kilobits per second).

ATR

• 5. Re: PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?
                  vdifronzo Level 1

ATR -

Thanks for your continued recommendations.

I tried the settings that you suggested, and the 5 sec issue is still there. It must be a YT issue.

The quality of the video at 480 was very comparable in quality to my prior upload, but my prior setting seemed just a tad clearer.

It's actually very good for 480 though

Unfortunately, it won't provide an HD option, if a user so desires.

I am not overly concerned since I plan to create a brief intro for branding purposes.

I feel good about the settings I have now.

I don't want to mix topics here (and I don't know if you get updates to all of your responses), but any chance you can review another question I have here?: 

PE11:  Issues with auto-color, auto-levels, auto-contrast?

Thanks,

-Vito

• 6. Re: PE12 - YouTube Rendering | Can anyone explain the quality difference mid-clip?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Vito

I just a few moments ago replied to your other thread on DaVinci Resolve Lite and a possible roundtrip workflow between it and Premiere Elements 12.

I have not seen one for Premiere Elements, but there seems to be suggestions for that for Premiere Pro.

I will see what else I can find on the topic. Have you contacted the support for the manufacturer of the product to determine if it has any information on the topic from its point of view? My first impression is that the DaVinci product developers would encourage the whole workflow within the DaVinci standalone product?

ATR