3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 9:31 AM by davej148

Lightroom 5 upgrade killed my workflow. What options are left for importing by reference from a flash card?

davej148

I just upgraded from Lightroom 1 to Lightroom 5.

I no longer see the option ~"Import from disk"

The application just magically decides what I am importing from.

Unfortunately, this used to be my workaround for keeping my workflow streamlined.

The import from disc option would allow me to import my flash card by reference

into a temporary catalog that would be active only until a full flash card

was archived. This temporarily catalog was used to delete rejects from my

flash card in a Lightroom-leveraged fashion. Once the latest photo update

on the card was clean, I would import by copy into a permanent catalog.

This meant:

-Always two copies of images once I got back to base

-Ability to leverage develop tools in determining rejects

-No having to make a list of rejects and then deleting them separately

on the camera or through the OS

I see no way to do this with Lightroom 5 and Mac OS X.

I understand the problem might be coming from the OS change that happened

at the same time, but since ~"import from disk" is no longer in the menu, I am

suspecting the change is from the application itself.

I could probably find out the answer to my question through a bunch of experimenting,

but I thought I would float the question in an attempt to save time.

I'm not sure if I can run two versions of Lightroom at the same time on a Mac OS X

machine, but If I can, is this the only way to maintain my workflow?

Dave

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 upgrade killed my workflow. What options are left for importing by reference from a flash card?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You really made a big jump, upgrading from Lightroom 1 to Lightroom 5.  You might do well to go to Adobe.tv or other sources and watch a few videos because Lightroom has changed dramatically. The illustration I am providing for you is from a Windows computer. But if you click on the source in the import dialog you will see a list of sources. If the card isn't listed, click on "Other" and you can locate the card using your system browser. Creating second copies is part of the options available to you in the right-hand panel of the import dialog.

Capture.JPG

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 upgrade killed my workflow. What options are left for importing by reference from a flash card?
            Tom Hogarty Adobe Employee

Dave,

If Lightroom believes you are importing from a temporary media device like a CF card or SD card, the application will only allow you to copy those files off of the device. Importing in place or "adding" directly from the card will be disabled.  Your OS update probably correctly identified the nature of the device and Lightroom then respected the behavior we've had in place since Lightroom 1.  I'm sorry this is interrupting your existing workflow but we have serious concerns about customers accidentally importing referenced files from a card that is subsequently reformatted in the camera.  We've seen confusion around preview availability within Lightroom being mistaken for Lightroom actually "owning" the original assets.

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Adobe Systems

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 upgrade killed my workflow. What options are left for importing by reference from a flash card?
              davej148 Level 1

"we have serious concerns about customers accidentally importing referenced files from a card that is subsequently reformatted in the camera"

I understand. So bury the option under the, "Only use if you really know what you are doing. You could destroy everything." heading, Or even as an external file of settings for people who know what they are doing. The point is this has forced me to take a step backward in my workflow which was already a workaround from what I really wanted. Ideally I have wanted all along:

-Import from flash card to main catalog by copy *and* a special-use link back to the flash card file for each image in the catalog

-When deleting rejected photos from the catalog, I would have a third option to delete rejected photos from the flash card.

This way, I avoid not only the new problems created by the Lightroom 5 upgrade, but I would be reducing my imports from two to one. With a slow USB connection, there were advantages in only importing by reference on the first import, but since things tend to run faster these days, I think I would come out ahead overall now.

Dave