11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 5:04 PM by Randydelafuente

Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata

helvoirt@adobe.com Level 1

Maybe someone can help me with this question...

All product photos contain a barcode or QR-code. It is visible inside the image.

The customer is looking for a way (a plug-in) that is able to find the code inside the image, read it and place the information found in a preselected Metadata field of the image it self.

Can anyone tell me if this already exists or is there anyone who can develop it? If yes, than please let me know

Regards,

Pieter

• 1. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
          trailb45260103 Level 1

Would love to have this feature in LR.

With facial recognition now featured, is this QR/barcode scanning not more of a possibility?

• 2. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

QR code reading is a very obscure demand for a photo management application on a desktop machine, but it should be relatively simple for someone to write a plug-in if there's enough commercial interest. There are several open-source C libraries which will read QR codes from a bitmap - e.g. ZBar bar code reader - so the non-LR side of the workflow is already done.

• 3. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
              trailb45260103 Level 1

It would be absolutely incredibly useful to me as a volume photographer, and I suspect other photographers too.  Anybody who needs to link data to images or catalogue images would be the target market.

Let me outline a conversation that I had with a Lightroom developer at TTG recently, who unfortunately can't help me...

Original Conversation is at:  Lightroom 6 (Page 1) — General — Community @ The Turning Gate (post 17 onwards).

Automatically matching and syncing data to pictures is a huge software industry in its own right, believe me.

As a school photographer (though not solely), matching student IDs to their pictures makes everything so much easier and is vital to update student record databases with images of pupils.  But it's also very relevant to other sectors such as events and sports photographers.  Imagine if this data could be incorporated into TTG database search facility.... (Do we have a swoon smiley?)

Several pieces of commercial software is available, but most rely on the camera being permanently tethered to a laptop and using a barcode scanner to renames files as they come in.  This is a crap, restrictive system but is the one the vast majority of people use.  An example of this is the Australian Timestone software (http://timestonesoftware.com) which is very popular, but runs into the thousands of UK Pounds for a licence.

An American photographer called Mike Fulton wrote a piece of software called fotovelocity.net which does exactly what I prefer - to photograph the pupil with a barcode somewhere in the image that later gets read by the software and data appended to the metadata of the image.  This is slightly cheaper than Timestone, but still runs into the thousands and he not interested in dealing with anybody outside the US.  

sad

If Lightroom can read and guess faces to add naming data, then it must surely be an easy upgrade to read an easily scannable QR code?

and ...

Has to be relevant to more than just me, surely?

Imagine all the events / dance meets / clubs / nurseries / schools / football photographers that would use this.  Admittedly, this is all volume 'hot-dog' photography and not the artistic side, but it puts a fairly nice roof over my head.

With schools I get a database beforehand, but for most events you don't need to know anything about the attendees to the event beforehand, as you just print out labels that have qr codes with sequenced numbers on them which the portrait subject (or their parents) then keep.  They then either visit a printing booth and type the code or take it home and type the code into their browsers and #kabam# up comes their images for purchase.  How they run it so that only the first image has the barcode visible yet all subsequent images retain the data from the first image until another barcode is detected I don't know.  I guess it must be that a numeric sequence must also be appended to the data from the barcode.

It's a wonderful system for photographers, which is why it costs megabucks.

I will admit though, that the commercial software tends to lab integrate as well, so there is more than just barcode reading.  Unfortunately, this ties you in to the system that your preferred lab uses, usually Timestone in the UK, and hence why people have to pay those silly license prices.

If you need a sample image with a QR code in just let me know.

Maybe fotoveolcity instructional videos may give you an impression of how this type of software flows and performs.

General Volume Workflow ‹ Foto Velocity

• 4. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                alleng Level 1

I do barcoding using a plugin I wrote of lightroom. We have used the plugin for over 3 years, but I have never marketed it or tried selling it. Frankly, I am a photographer first and have it working but not all the spit and shine of a commercial program. But I get the feeling that you are looking for anything that works.

I use it for underclass portraits, high school seniors, dances, little leagues and any other time we need to associate data with images. Used it this morning to capture the names and ordered package information for 100 cap and gown portraits.

We also print all our work inhouse and use the barcode information to capture the packages ordered and print them strait from lightroom, using another plugin I wrote. The whole system is based on a small barcode scanner that is synced up, using the plugin, to the images in Lightroom. Then you can import extra data (name, grade, homeroom, package, etc) from a csv file.

We shoot raw for everything and because of this the others programs that required you to shoot jpeg would not work for us. We used to use SchoolDays+, but they abandoned the market. Looked at PhotoLynx and others also, but the only thing close was PhotoVelocity.

Please contact me (allen at gambellphotography.com) and get with you on the details of how it works and what you need it to do. I am always looking for any new ideas to speed up my processing.

• 5. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                  trailb45260103 Level 1

That sounds really good, thanks Allen.

I'll be very interested to see what you have created. 

Will be in touch.

Is this the best place to put feature requests to the Lightroom dev team, or do you know of any other places? 

As an example of how I might use it, I have a street photography demonstration coming up, and if I could just photograph a subject with a qr / barcode in shot which the subject then keeps, then I can find their photograph from many hundreds taken and easily send them their image. 

• 6. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                    trailb45260103 Level 1

Oh, and mail to allen at gambellphotography.com is returning domain unresolved. 

• 7. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                      alleng Level 1

sry i mistyped its allen at gambrellphotography.com

forgot the r

• 8. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                        jarnoh Level 1

I created a barcode reader plugin couple of years ago, but I never released it and I guess it could also use some finishing touches.  Basically, it just  tried to decode the preview image and stores the decoded data as custom metadata.  This was actually a concept prototype built before building a face detection plugin, since the barcodes were supposedly easier than faces

If anyone's interested in it, I can be reached at jarnoh@capturemonkey.com

barcode2.jpg

• 9. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                          trailb45260103 Level 1

Hi jarnoh

This looks just what I want!  I would be extremely interested in it.

Could that outputted data be placed in the caption or title metadata field in Lightroom?  I need it there so that I can export the files with filenames that match the caption field. 

I'll  contact you, but if I get filtered, my address is

trailboy1972

(at)

gmail.com

Thank you!

Kris.

alleng

I have contacted you at the address you gave, but I haven't received a response.  Maybe I got spam filtered too.  You can contact me at the address above.

Thanks,

Kris.

• 11. Re: Read barcode or QR code inside image and save it in the file as metadata
                            Randydelafuente Level 1

Hello!

I came across this post and thought I would throw Snapizzi into the ring for you guys to consider. Using just a business card, and powered by patented technology, Snapizzi enables Event Photographers to quickly, and automatically, match customers to their photos. Check it out and please reach out to me with any questions or if I can help with anything else.

Thank you!

All the best,

Randy dela Fuente

Founder

www.snapizzi.com

screenshot.png