6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 12:48 PM by justgeiglag

InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.

tclark321 Level 1

I work in the marketing department at a large construction company and we have InDesign users on both PCs and Macs. We are constantly having to create large documents (70-80 pages with 150-200 images is average) and we share these files back and forth regularly. Because Macs don't see paths the same way as PCs, all the images are unlinked if files are opened on the other platform (I.e., if create the file on a PC, then links are broken when opened on a Mac). I know we could embed all of the images but that really makes the file sizes unmanageable for our storage capabilities. And I also thought of packaging everything because at least then InDesign would find all of the files in one folder when you restored just one link, but again packaging them duplicates the images and creates a storage problem for us. Is there any other solution to this problem?

• 1. Re: InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m primarily on Windows but work with many Mac users and have a Mac myself. I have never seen any linking issues going back and forth but that’s primarily with a Dropbox workflow.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.
            Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

Simply select all in Links panel and then Relink to Folder from the Links Panel Fly out menu, what happens, still broken links?

• 3. Re: InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.
              tclark321 Level 1

Do you share a server network with the Mac users and link images back to the server (as opposed to embedding or linking to a "package" folder) and then have them open the files? The information I have been able to gather indicated that because Macs have no such things as drive letters (i.e., when the path on a PC is M:\pictures the mac doesn't recognize that path - on my mac it is Marketing:\pictures) So, different names for same server = InDesign can't find images. The only solutions I could come up with won't work. I could embed all of the images or have the files "packaged" but both scenarios do two things: (1) they increase the storage space dramatically because we would be constantly duplicating thousands of large images (whether embedded or just duplicated in the package folder); and (2) if we need to alter the original file, the changes would not be picked up across all files because each file would be linked to a different copy of the image. I welcome any creative ideas.

• 4. Re: InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Put all the links in the same folder as the INDD file.

• 5. Re: InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.
                  tclark321 Level 1

Unfortunately our servers contain at least a few tens of thousands of images and moving them from their current locations (where they are all properly categorized, ordered and attached to their relevant jobs) to one single folder (where they would be lumped together in a single giant writhing mass of biblical proportions) would be heaping even more Armegeddon-sized chaos on my coworkers than even I could stand! But I appreciate your suggestion though!

• 6. Re: InDesign - broken links when moving from PC to Mac.
                    justgeiglag

get any resolution on this tclark321? I have the EXACT problem you have and have been fighting it for years. So far, I've been able to get it to work in one direction by having all the windows machines access the network shares directly instead of mapping them. Doing this has enabled me to have Macs flawlessly automatically find links that Windows users place but it doesn't go the other way. This really just seems like a JDI feature that Adobe needs to do. I know it's not a huge amount of people in our situation but I can't imagine it would be very difficult for Adobe to simply add some intelligence to the "search for missing links" feature that accounts for Mac style network paths.