6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2014 9:57 PM by Rick Gerard

Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong

Dmwizzard

Anyone else getting this, I've only tried it with VC Element3D but...

Camera Icon shows wrong position in Front and Back views - Either in this 4 View example or single views (Obviously not in 'Active' or 'Custom' Camera views)

camera_icon_display_problem_veiws.jpg

• 1. Re: Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Just curious: does the same odd behavior happen on a custom view?

• 2. Re: Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong
            Dmwizzard Level 1

Someone didn't read my post LOL

• 3. Re: Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong
              Dmwizzard Level 1

Can't update my original post... Forgot to mention, This is AE CC 2014

• 4. Re: Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The little cube representing the camera is in normal situations visible whether or not the camera is behind a 3D layer. When the camera is behind the comp center and the point of interest is at the comp center the X axis indicator will be pointing left in Local Axis view or Right in World axis or Local Axis view when observing the Front view when the camera is selected. I cannot tell if there is a problem with the axis indicators or the wireframe because you do not have the camera layer selected and Element 3D is apparently creating some kind of 3D space that is the size of a cube or rectangle containing the extruded text in your scene.

This blocking does not happen with other plug-ins that use 2D layers to create 3D elements that react with the camera in AE. With CC Cylinder, for example, the entire camera wireframe and axis indicators are visible no matter where the camera is. You may want to bring this up with the folks at Video Copilot that make the plug-in, but it is a problem that does not change how the effect is rendered. I wonder what happens when you select the camera in the timeline? Can you then see the axis indicators or are they blocked by Element 3D layer's frame. The other question I have is what happens if you change the layer order in your timeline? If you were to use CC Cylinder and you wanted a 3D text layer to appear behind the cylinder you would have to put the text layer above the Cylinder layer. If you wanted the text to appear in front of the cylinder you would have to put the text layer below the cylinder layer. That's just the way it works. I don't use Element 3D so I can't experiment with layer order but I'm wondering if it makes a difference. This is where an cropped screenshot gives us very little to go on when diagnosing the problem.

3dSetup.jpg

BTW, the Edit function for your original post is in the right column. It took me a while to find it.

• 5. Re: Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong
                  Dmwizzard Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to both test and reply to my thread.

I took on-board all you points and did some more testing...

1. Removed Element3D in favour of an 'Ordinary' 3D Text layer
                  2. Tried both selecting and de-selecting camera layer

I have since noticed this "problem" only exists when the camera is moved quite a distance back from the 3D layer (regardless of layer content)

- If you still have your test project, have a go at making your items bigger and pulling your camera back, See if it works on your set-up too.

Although, It's not really a "Problem" per-say... It's just I never noticed this behaviour in AE CC and below

Also, Still can't find the "Edit" function (For Orig post)

• 6. Re: Camera Icon in Front and Back views shows wrong
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think you can edit an original post after comments have been made but you can edit immediately after posting. See the right column?

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.56.37 PM.png