5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 4:19 PM by A.T. Romano

PE12 on Mac how can I add the timeline time to my video?

Jollie

I Would like to add the timeline marker to my video project so that my reviewers can pinpoint the exact location in my program that needs correction.  I checked on DVDATA but it is for PC only. Is there any software that I can use, or is there something in PE Elements that I am overlooking?  I appreciate any info that someone can provide. 

• 1. Re: PE12 on Mac how can I add the timeline time to my video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jollie

DV Date plugin for Premiere Elements is Windows Only as you have found out.

http://dvdate.ru/

I have not done it but you could explore

a. crawling title created in the Titler

b. record (H.264.mov or .mp4) a digital timer on and include that footage at the bottom portion of your Timeline video.

I have done a mini Google search and did not find anything for the Mac. Have you done a complete Google search on this matter from the point of view of a Mac software comparable to DV Date plugin?

ATR

• 2. Re: PE12 on Mac how can I add the timeline time to my video?
            Jollie Level 1

Thanks for the response.  It seems like this problem should be pretty common, but it seems not.  I don't find a digital timer option in Premier elements for Mac.  It is possible that the PC version may contain this option or I may not be looking in the right place.  I believe Premier Pro may have this as an option but I can't justify the cost.  I have googled all of the options that I can think of and have no results.

I have an idea that if this option exists in Imovie, I could create a project with 30 minutes of green screen and turn on the timer. save the file and import it into a Premier Elements project and use videomerge to remove the green screen.  I would have 30 minutes of timer video with clear background. If I save this video as a .mov file I could drag it to a track in all of my projects and it would show.

Does that sound to off the wall?

• 3. Re: PE12 on Mac how can I add the timeline time to my video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jollie

There is definitely no timecode feature built into Premiere Elements (Windows or Mac) that can be embedded into the video footage to run in the video frames. For Windows only there is the 3rd party DVdate plug-in that can do this for you. I do not work with Premiere Pro. But, I do not believe the situation is any differently there Windows or Mac.

Today I did find what seemed like a perfect link for you, but note the "discontinued" at the top of the page.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20029/toki-tc

Your workaround sounds feasible if iMovie does provide for embedding Timecodes to be viewed along with the video after export. Have you read the

following and is it doable for your iMovie

How to time-stamp your video in iMovie | Macworld

If problems, please explore the homemade video timers - crawling title via the program Titler (See Text Menu) or video recording of a running digital timer.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE12 on Mac how can I add the timeline time to my video?
                Jollie Level 1

ATR

Thanks for your help.  It looked like toci tc could be the answer but it does not download.  When I click on download I get a white screen and nothing else.

I think I have found a work around.  I obtained a video clip of a digital timer counting up. the clip runs for 30 minutes which is exactly what I need.  I dragged it to video track 2 in the timeline.  The background is black and apparently videomerge will not remove black background. I reduced it to a small rectangle and placed it in the lower right corner of the monitor.  This works fine.

I did see that there is an apple program designed to work with Final Cut.  The app is Apple Compressor and costs $49.  It does a lot more than add the stamp but this is over my budget and the learning curve looks like more than I want to get into at this time.

Once again thanks for all of your help.

jollie

• 5. Re: PE12 on Mac how can I add the timeline time to my video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jollie

Thanks for the follow up. Great job with the workarounds.

In my exploring the Internet on this topic, I ran into mention of a program named "Compressor" for Mac. That must be the Apple Compressor that you found. It got favorable comments in the article in which I found it. But, your workaround seems practical and should do the job for you.

You had several things going in the wrong direction for you...

a. The Windows Only aspects of DVdate plugin

b. And the Windows Only keying effects of Chroma Key, Green Screen Key, and Blue Screen Key. I was never a fan of Videomerge, even in Windows.

Best wishes

ATR