3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 6:43 AM by Peter Spier

INDESIGN AND LINKED FILES FOR VERSIONNING

Daté TETEGAN

Hi Everyone,

Despite the fact Indesign is an amazing tool, i'm very frustrated about the way images links are managed, and especially when you copy a folder that contains indesign files linked to images.

When you want to make a new version of your files, by copying the original folder with all files, the copy of the original indesign file is still recognizing the linked images in the original folder and not the images in the new folder.

To force Indesign to check the path of the images in the new folder and to update links with the new images, the only way i found is to change the name of the original folder.

I get the same problem with an indesign book linked with many different individual indesign files.

i know there is a solution to package all images in the same folder, but this way will lot keep the structure of my folders and my files.

As relinking manually each file could be a nightmare, i wonder if someone know a solution to avoid this ?

Thanks a lot

Daté TETEGAN

• 1. Re: INDESIGN AND LINKED FILES FOR VERSIONNING
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rather than manually making a copy, use the package command which will make copies of everything required (as long as it is inside the bleed area) and change the link paths to the copies.

Note that when working with a Book (.indb) this will not work for the .indb file itself. There is no way to package an entire book, and the .indb is a list of pointers to the locations of the original files, so it needs to be replaced with a new .indb to which you add the copied documents each time.

• 2. Re: INDESIGN AND LINKED FILES FOR VERSIONNING
            Daté TETEGAN Level 1

Hi Peter,

In a productivity point of view we try to optimize our process by removing repetitive tasks and your solution doesn't match this goal (stop waisting time with non valuable activities).

• The package command is not useful because it moves all files from different folders to bring them in the same folder. As i want to keep my folder structure when i make the copy, i can't use this solution.

• regarding the possibility to create a new Indesign book and to load each file again in the book, it's also something i want to avoid because it's a waist of time, especially when you have in the same book many files coming from different folders in the same main folder

It's seems the only solution is to try to find a plugin for that or to ask a developper to make a javascript to force Indesign to relink files in the same folder.

I found many discussion about that and it's a pitty to not take this feature as a must have for users.

Regards,

Daté TETEGAN

• 3. Re: INDESIGN AND LINKED FILES FOR VERSIONNING
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Daté TETEGAN wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Despite the fact Indesign is an amazing tool, i'm very frustrated about the way images links are managed, and especially when you copy a folder that contains indesign files linked to images.

When you want to make a new version of your files, by copying the original folder with all files, the copy of the original indesign file is still recognizing the linked images in the original folder and not the images in the new folder.

This seems to me to be in direct  opposition to what you just said. Either you want one central repository for your linked files where you keep single copies organized in some way that makes sense to your workflow, or you want individual copies of each linked file that is used only for that particular version. If you want only one linked file that is reused, you want any copied .indd file to continue to use the old path. If you want to modify linked files and have the modified files available only to the current version, packaging is a viable option.

It sounds to me like you would like ID to use relative links rather than absolute. That's not the way it works now, but you can make a feature request at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form