8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 12:51 PM by dj_paige

Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.

Shubha TP

Kindly help! Last night I wanted to clear up some files and make space on my computer so I deleted some destination folders from LR 5. I cleared up the recycle bin too. This morning when I am trying to import and export files to LR 5, its not allowing me. Looks like I have mistakenly deleted some setup files. My question is how do I fix it? If I can't, can I uninstall and reinstall LR 5? Would it still allow me to do it with same Serial number though its the same computer? I don't want to make any more mistakes so kindly help! Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
          dj_paige Level 9

This morning when I am trying to import and export files to LR 5, its not allowing me.

What happens when you try? Is there an error message? As there are two problems according to the above-quoted sentence, a problem at import and a problem at export, please answer the questions for import and again for export.

Also please be sure to state which version of Lightroom 5 you are using and what your operating system is.

• 2. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
            Shubha TP Level 1

There is no error message but when I choose a folder to import pictures, its supposed to allow me to select them and copy or copy as DNG right? Its not letting me select my images to import. I think I deleted some destination or setup files? I am not sure.. Even if I create a new destination folder and path, its still now allowing me to choose files to import into LR to edit images. First of all its not allowing me to import. I am using LR 5.4. I am on windows. Thank u so much for replying.. looking forward to seek more help. I still feel I deleted some set up files by mistake and I wonder if I can just reinstall LR.

• 3. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
              dj_paige Level 9

You say in your original message "not allowing me", and in this most recent message "not letting me". These are not helpful phrases. Please tell us excatly what actions you are trying (what button or what words or what icon or what menu command). What happens when you try? What do you see on your screen? Describe in detail or show us a screen capture. If there is an error message, state the entire message exactly as it appears verbatim word-for-word.

• 4. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
                Shubha TP Level 1

Well here is what exactly happens. I go to FILE - Choose images to import. I choose FILE --> IMPORT PHOTOS & VIDEO--> the box opens & I select a source --> my option as COPY AS DNG--> then I choose the folder with the images I want to import. When I do that, instead of showing activated check box, its automatically gets deactivated and does not allow me to choose the images to import. ALL PHOTOS box is checked but the images looks like deactivated and does not allow me to choose them for importing.So I assume I have deleted some set up file so wanted to reinstall the software completely. Is it possible to just uninstall LR and then reinstall back into the same computer? I have Serial number and CD with me.

• 5. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
                  dj_paige Level 9

If the photos are "deactivated" or grey, that means you have already imported the photos into the Lightroom catalog. Thus, you do not need to import them again. What you need to do is to go to the Library Module (not the Import dialog box) and find the photos and do whatever you want with them.

Uninstall and reinstall will not solve this problem.

• 6. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
                    Shubha TP Level 1

I am on Library mode and I am I had deleted some of my collections last night. Now I am trying to bring back some files into LR and thats where its not allowing me to import. I will try clicking some new pics and see if it allows me. I will update here if its still working fine and if what u said is the issue for on my LR.

• 7. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
                      Shubha TP Level 1

OK - I know what a fool I am lol .. still a new user and yes even though I am on Library mode, I was unable to see my files as I had deleted my catalogs. I just recopied the same files in different names and now its allowing me to import thanks a lot!!!! SO happy!!! 

• 8. Re: Kindly help! LR 5 not allowing me to export import images.
                        dj_paige Level 9

Deleting collections does not delete the photos from the Lightroom catalog. That's why you had the original problem, and there was no need to import them into Lightroom again.

Changing names and importing the photo again is also not recommended.