9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 11:20 AM by rfrench5419

Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software

Lauren Chalice

I use a marketing service that creates brochures, etc. using InDesign CC (v.10).  When I try to open them using InDesign CS6 I get an error message telling me to use CC to save the document in IDML.  Since I don't have CC software, is there another way for me to get access to the IDML version?  Is it up to the marketing company to do something so I can open the brochure.  They seem to say I have to open it in IDML and I can't find any way to do this?  Am I missing something obvious?

• 1. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The marketing company needs to create an IDML file and provide it to you. Then you can open the IDML file in InDesign CS6.

• 2. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
            rfrench5419

Steve, I have a similar situation. The consultant gave me indd and imdl files. When I try to open any of the indd files, I get the message – "Cannot open the document <doc name.indd>. You may not have permission or the document may already be open". I tried opening the idml file instead. It opens and shows me the document. However, when I make changes there and save it, Windows Explorer shows me the indd file is being updated but I still can open only the idml which does not reflect the changes I just made.

• 3. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
              MathPoli Level 1

@ rfrench5419:

We had this message a couple of times, too:

"Cannot open the document <doc name.indd>. You may not have permission or the document may already be open".

Although no of us had the file open! Where do you host your file: on a Mac server? That's our configuration here.

Here's what we did:

We closed the IDML doc and opened it once more. In most cases it worked, that means: no message was displayed. Maybe it has to do with temporary messed up user rights? Just a guess. If opening it once again fixes the problem, it cannot be a very severe problem!

• 4. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Save the .idml file with a new name...

• 5. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
                  rfrench5419 Level 1

Thanks. While taking your suggestion, I realized what happened to me yesterday. InDesign is always defaulting the save file type to indd so when I opened the idml, made changes and saved, it saved an indd which I can't open any more than the ones the consultant originally sent. I guess I'm just out a day's work there. It's also a pain that every time I want to save my updated idml, I will have to change the extension.

Can you explain the difference between working with an idml and an indd? The former is much smaller. Is it pulling in all of the graphics from my Links folder each time it opens while the indd has them all saved as part of the document? Will I lose anything by just maintaining these as idml's? Since I just downloaded the latest version from Creative Cloud as a trial last week, I'm puzzled as to why I can't open the indd's.

I appreciate your help.

• 6. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software

The file you saved from the .idml should open in the same version from which it was saved. My guess is you didn't notice what folder you saved it in (and it probably wasn't the one from which you opened the .idml becasue a Save As defaults to the last folder where you did a Save As for new files, which this is considered to be), so you were still trying to open the original.

• 7. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
                      rfrench5419 Level 1

This wasn't exactly the problem, but your feedback got me to experimenting and I finally figured it out. We use SharePoint here for shared document storage, and for some reason, it is not playing nicely with these InDesign files. I can't open indd types that are stored in SharePoint, but if I copy them out to my desktop or local drive, I can open them fine. I can open idml type stored in SharePoint, but every time I save one, it acts as if it is an untitled document and prompts me for the name and defaults to an indd type. So the answer seems to be avoid SharePoint. Fortunately, I did not lose yesterday's work since I can open a copy of the indd now from my local drive. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software

rfrench5419 wrote:

I can open idml type stored in SharePoint, but every time I save one, it acts as if it is an untitled document and prompts me for the name and defaults to an indd type.

Yes. That's supposed to happen and has nothing to do with SharePoint (though I don't think you are alone with other problems using SharePoint). IDML is not a document format, it's an interchange format, and not intended to updated and saved so you always need to save it as a new .indd after opening.

• 9. Re: Can't open a document made by another using IDcc in my IDcs6 software
                          rfrench5419 Level 1

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of idml. I think I'm good now. The SharePoint issue just seems to be with opening indd's. I verified this by creating a brand new one on a local drive. It re-opened fine, but when I copied it to SharePoint I got the "permissions or already open" error. I'll just work with the consultant files locally and back them up nightly to SharePoint for safekeeping. Once again, thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.