4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 7:13 PM by thatdaguerreotypeguy

Thumbnails must render before export? Need workflow advice.

thatdaguerreotypeguy

I am trying to figure out if there's a way that I can speed up my workflow.

1. Shoot a timelapse sequence (let's say 500 frames)

2. Import as .dng with 1:1 preview & smart preview generation

3. Make edits to frame #1

4. Copy settings on frame #1

5. Paste settings to all frames

Now here's the tricky part. I will wait for the progress bar to declare that it has finished pasting all of the settings to the remaining frames BUT the gallery previews still look like they did at import. LR5.5 dutifully begins to render the changes one by one.

If I have 50 of the frames visible then the 50 thumbnails will get updated. If I command-A (select all) and export all 500 frames at this point then I will always have some of the frames come out completely unprocessed - just as they were at import.

The only way that I have figured out how to avoid this is to scroll down in the gallery to a fresh set of 50, wait for them all to get new thumbnails rendered, scroll to the next set of 50, and so on. Once I've confirmed that all of the thumbnails have rendered then I can export with 100% success.

Is this expected behavior? What can I do to speed up this painful workflow?

I am working on a brand new Mac Pro 6,1 (cylinder) with 6-cores and 32GB of RAM. These files are stored on thunderbolt 2 while the previews and library are stored on the very fast built in flash storage.

• 1. Re: Thumbnails must render before export? Need workflow advice.
          thatdaguerreotypeguy Level 1

I should add that the thumbnail previews do not render in the background. The only thumbnails to render are the ones that I happen to be looking at on my screen. It's maddening.

• 2. Re: Thumbnails must render before export? Need workflow advice.
            elie-d Level 4

I am trying to figure out if there's a way that I can speed up my workflow.

1. Shoot a timelapse sequence (let's say 500 frames)

2. Import as .dng with 1:1 preview & smart preview generation

3. Make edits to frame #1

4. Copy settings on frame #1

5. Paste settings to all frames

(2.) Why make 1:1 previews on import? They are only used when you zoom to 1:1 in the Library. If you don't create them at import, LR will make one for that specific shot if you zoom into it in the Library loupe view. There will be a few seconds delay while the preview is being created (whereas if it was created at import there will be almost no delay) but on the other hand you are not lumbering your system with hundreds of big previews that you don't need. Same question regarding Smart Previews. Why? They are used to stand in for the original shots only when the originals are not available, for instance because you are away from home and the storage drive. Do you really need them?

(3-5.) Select all the frames (Ctrl+A). Use the toggle switch on the Sync button to make it Auto Sync. Any edit you make to frame #1 will immediately be done to all the frames.

• 3. Re: Thumbnails must render before export? Need workflow advice.
              Bob Somrak Level 5

I Don't think the previews should have anything to do with the OP having random incorrect exports.  Lightroom should rerender all the photos on export No matter whether the previews are correct. 

• 4. Re: Thumbnails must render before export? Need workflow advice.
                thatdaguerreotypeguy Level 1

The "Auto Sync" feature has changed my life. I didn't even know this existed. It's a bit peculiar to activate but once I figured it out I was thrilled!

Thank you!

I have found that when I paste settings to hundreds of frames that sometimes a few of them get ignored. I _just now_ was preparing to export a sequence from a collection. I was previewing it in Lightroom gallery before I exported it and, sure enough, found that four images right smack in the middle of the sequence were completely unmodified - none of my pasted develop settings had been applied! I always (before I discovered Auto Sync!) used to command-A the photos in the collection and paste develop settings but sometimes a few frames would get ignored. Very irritating.