15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 10:29 AM by hooplife

Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem

ricksecc Level 1

Hello,

Before upgrading to Indesign 2014, I was exporting pubs with mp3 audio files with no issues to my iPad. After upgrading I no longer see the mp3 files in my eBooks.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your advice.

Rick

• 1. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Rick,

I think you are not seeing any controls to play/pause audio file and therefore you think that audio is perhaps missing. Is this the case?

Could you please check the same file in other reader- Readium for instance?

Regards,

Pooja

• 2. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
            Godiva

I have the same problem no controls appear in iOS iBooks. In OSX iBooks the control is there but all mixed up. Also Apple spec is to have .m4b not .mp3 file format, ID doesn't accept .m4b and doesn't convert to it either.

Regards,

Tim

• 3. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
              pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi all,

Did you try on other readers? If not, simply export your file to HTML and view in Chrome. Do controls appear here?

This might be specific to iBooks as we did encounter lot of discrepancies in the appearance of controls on browsers and on different readers while we were testing this.

Regards,

Pooja

• 4. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                Godiva Level 1

Hi,

I am commissioned to make an epub for Apple's iBooks store, so I'm not concerned if it works on other readers. However if I open the xhtml file from within the epub in Safari the controls are there and not all mixed up. The epub passes the epub checker OK. I made two versions:

1. with, play when page opens. – This worked on iOS but still could not see anything of the controls.

2. I placed a poster image. – This also showed up in iOS but still no controls.

The .mp3 file is 586KB and an .m4b file is 217 that is 369 KB less. As ID dose not accept .m4b file format I will have to use another program to make the epub version, as this will make a big difference to the size of the epub, with about 700 examples in the book.

When I made a test in Pages everything worked fine on iOS devices.

Thanks,

Tim

• 5. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                  pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Thanks Tim for the details. As far as our mark-up is concerned, I would like to tell you all that we don't have have control over how "controls" for audio/video will appear on various readers. It is a browser/reader dependent thing. We also faced these issues in our testing where the controls were scaled or did not appear at all but concluded that this is something we cannot fix at our end considering varied behavior across devices and platforms.

Regards,

Pooja

• 6. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                    Godiva Level 1

I would of thought if other developers can do it, Adobe should be able to do it.

Thanks anyway,

Tim

• 7. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                      ricksecc Level 1

Hello Pooja,

The point I was making was that the epub file I've been working on for months now in Indesign CC was working fine with my audio files and the audio controls were working fine as well.

Once I upgraded to Indesign 2014, the audio files no longer showed the controls using the same iPad device I have been using all along. So, this leads me to believe that something in your upgrade broke this feature. What else could it be?

When I export from Indesign 2014 in a legacy format back to Indesign CC and then re-export again from CC then the controls are back once again.

Definite bug in Indesign 2014.

• 8. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                        Godiva Level 1

I agree with ricksecc.

I have just made a test in ID cc , and it works in my iOS devices just fine!

So Adobe has broken something in ID cc 2014.

Regards,

Tim

• 9. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                          ricksecc Level 1

I am very surprised this post shows as answered when it has not been properly answered with someone from Adobe confirming this bug with Indesign 2014 as compared to Indesign CC regarding the export to epub and loss of video/audio controls on the same iPad device.

The answer given above was….

I would like to tell you all that we don't have have control over how "controls" for audio/video will appear on various readers. It is a browser/reader dependent thing. We also faced these issues in our testing where the controls were scaled or did not appear at all but concluded that this is something we cannot fix at our end considering varied behavior across devices and platforms.

So again I ask, Why do my videos/audio files show just fine using Adobe Indesign CC using my iPad but disappear when using Adobe Indesign 2014 using the same iPad ???

Regards,

Rick

• 10. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                            JoshBook

I too am having this issues. I don't see how this thread is resolved. Been beating my head against the wall trying to find a solution on the web. Following step by step tutorials everywhere, and it's not working. Please help Adobe!

• 11. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                              ricksecc Level 1

Hello everyone.

It appears that Adobe released an update to Indesign 2014 over the past few days that appears to have fixed this bug.

Can you all do your own tests and confirm this.

I am now able to see the controls on the iPhone and the iPad.

Let me know what you all find….

Rick

• 12. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                                Godiva Level 1

Hi Riksecc,

Sorrowfully no, I have not had any improvement and no update for a while.

Tim

• 13. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                                  JoshBook Level 1

Yeah me too - I had downloaded the newest version, don't see an update, and am having the issue. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                                    ricksecc Level 1

My controls are only showing up in iBooks for mac.

I did a quick test with indesign 2014 for iPad/iPhone with audio files and still don't see controls.

If I export a legacy file to Indesign CC and then re-export the epub the controls are there again.

I believe the mp3 files are there, we just can't see them upon export from Indesign 2014.

I've found another big bug that I'll report in a new posting as I think it's as bad as this bug.

Hopefully Adobe will address these bugs soon as digital publishing for epub is going to be BIG

• 15. Re: Indesign 2014 Epub Audio Mp3 problem
                                      hooplife Level 1

Happy to find this post!  I also can't get the audio to function properly, I am only working on CC 2014 so I haven't tried exporting using CC as you all have mentioned…has there been a resolution??  This seems like a simple task, i have done this many times when exporting to native apps so it is baffling that this problem arises with the audio when exporting for epub….