8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 7:38 PM by Bo0nta

Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?

Gaschka Level 1

I downloaded PS CC 2014, because I was so stoked about the new multitouch features onto my Wacom Cinitq Companion.

But the new PS CC 2014 doesn't recognize no pen pressure or other Wacom features like tilt!

This is very terrible. I can't use PS atm.

I updated drivers, I reinstalled drivers, I reinstalled PS, without any fortune!

This is just not working.

I have to blame PS CC 2014, because the Wacom pen works fine in Photoshop CS 5 (wich I luckly still have, but there is no chance to roll back to PS CC). All other programs like krita oder Mudbox work fine too!

Please fix this asap!

PS_CC_2014_fail.PNG

• 1. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
          Level 7

What OS version are you using?

And have you contacted Wacom about this yet?

• 2. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
            Gaschka Level 1

Hello Chris!

I'm running Win8.1 with all updates and the most recent drivers.

It's a Wacom Cintiq Compantion 256SSD with Intel 4000 graphics.

I posted this issue at the wacom too. Let's what they will say.

At least I found the little arrow in the Creative Cloud appication to install previous version of Photoshop. Quite hidden...

I can confirm that pen pressure I working in Photoshop CC (v14.2.1)

I checked out the touch features of PS CC 2014 and I sadly has to say that I was quite disappointed.

I know that it's a "experimental feature". It's very slow in the right touch configuration detection. This surprises me. I checked out Win8 Apps like here maps which do basicly do the same:

controlling a OpenGL viewport with touch. They are much more responsive to the touch. Autodesk Sketchbook Pro was quite disappointing too. But Krita proves with it's fast and responsive touch input that it's possible to get this done right in a "non App" - Application.

• 3. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
              Level 7

For Win 8.1, make sure the Ink setting is enabled in Wacom's control panel.

• 4. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
                Gaschka Level 1

Thank you for your answer!

With the ink setting, it now works fine.

I don't like the windows ink that much, because the visual feedback it gives can be quite annoying.

Anyhow I gonna check out PS CC 2014 now!

• 5. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
                  Gaschka Level 1

Hi Chris:

Today I checked your suggestion with "Microsoft Ink" further and ran into a different problem:

I always switch on the Wacom driver option: Click and Tab for the side Buttons of the Wacom pen to have a more persize right and middle click.

With Ink switched on, PS 2014 does't accept the pen side buttons anymore. I can't right click in PS, in Windows it works fine. I need to right cklick all the time!

Is there a reason why adobe forces the user to use Microsoft Ink? It seems broken to me!

• 6. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
                    Gaschka Level 1

I now got a working solution from Wacom:

Windows Ink and the related features are from Microsoft - some can be turned off in the 'TabletPC Settings' control panel. For pressure in PS CC 2014 either enable 'use Windows Ink' or enable wintab functionality again in Photoshop. To do this create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt, and save the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\

I really don't get why Adobe changed this behavior, and hide this behind a commandline level hack?!

• 7. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
                      Level 7

Because Wacom and Microsoft and other companies really wanted us to use the Ink interface instead of the older WinTab interface.

Sounds like Wacom still has some bugs to fix in their Ink code.

• 8. Re: Pen pressure in PS CC 2014 with Cintiq companion!?
                        Bo0nta Level 1

just ran into this exact issue with ps cc 2014 and windows 8.1 .

the strange thing is that everything was working fine until one night I toggled windows ink on/off in the Wacom driver and the sensitivity broke and looks like ill have to apply the fix above. unless a windows update changed something.

To Adobe: If this is to be the default going forward for Windows 8 systems and CC can you PLEASE talk to Microsoft and get them to implement a SIMPLE ONE CLICK method of removing all pen feedback in windows. This now makes the great and simple Wacom driver checkbox "use windows ink" kinda usless if we are to abide by this new default.  And will need you to work with Microsoft to get a proper solution so we don't have to deal with registry fixes and gpedit.msc changes that don't really solve all the issues.

no ripple.. no right click and hold hover etc etc..