Although the discussion between VA3UV and I in the thread cited
should give you insights into "shorter pieces to fit DVD recording size", it is preferred that we use those details in context with your specific details which are yet to be presented.
1. What is the total duration of the Timeline that you want on multiple DVD discs?
2. What are you doing - burn to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc?
3. What type of DVD discs are you using
a. 4.7 GB/120 minutes (in reality, that 4.7 GB = 4.38 GB)
b. 8.5 GB/240 minutes (in reality, that 8.5 GB = 7.95 GB)
And, are you setup so that you can do Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray Disc (BD-R or BD-RE 25 GB)?
4. Are you in a place now where you are planning your new project for this task? Or, are you at a stage where the entire Timeline is already in one project and edit and waiting for an export decision?
5. What is the intended player for the DVD disc with your format of choice?
Please review and consider and then we can customize what needs to be done to your details.