3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 9:03 AM by Rick Gerard

Gradient on a Stroke

Euan Mcconchie

Hi All,

I'm a new user of After Effects... been doing bits and pieces with it for about a month. Currently i'm animating the construction of a logo using a shape layer and setting it with a stroke. To save on a long winded and potentially confusing explanation of what I have done currently here is a link to a reference that pretty much does the same as my animation currently - Dribbble - Chimera Logo Animation {gif} by Chimera Studio

I have the initial 'white' stroke and a second 'coloured' stoke on top, that appears to lead the animation... i'm trying to figure out if it's possible to apply a gradient to the leading colour so that its tail end is faded to the white? By doing so i want to see if it encourages the suggestion of motion.

If there is a means of doing this, I apologise that i'll likely need a dumbed down explanation or walk through, of how to do it... being such a beginner, some of the terminology with be lost on me.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Gradient on a Stroke
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The short and simple explanation is to copy the path of the shape layer, paste the path to a new layer as a mask, apply stroke to that layer animate the stroke, use the animated stroke Mayer as a track matte for the shape layer then duplicate the pair offset the timing and. Hangs the color of the second shape layer.

• 2. Re: Gradient on a Stroke
            Euan Mcconchie Level 1

Thanks for that rick... I actually have that part already set up and working... Although it was done so slightly differently from your method, which gives me a different insight as to another work around, so thanks. But my real query is to whether I can apply a gradient to this top coloured layer so its tail end is faded to white, is this possible?

• 3. Re: Gradient on a Stroke
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are gradient stroke options in Illustrator that are not available in After Effects.

gradientAlongPath.jpg

This gives you something like this in After Effects and you can use Gradient Wipe to reveal the path.

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 8.51.25 AM.png

You could then use the animation as a track matte for another layer. There are a host of possibilities. Here's a project file for you to look at. I hope it gives you some ideas.