4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 3:39 AM by mim_Armand

question about defining [bit] attribute for products in MXI file ( bug ? )

mim_Armand Level 1

Hi,

When I define the [bit] attribute for a product element in xmi file (set to 64) and create the package, Adobe extension manager CS6 denies to install it on a 64-bit system (by saying:) because it is a 64-bit extension!!

I tried it in two different environments (Vista and 8 - 64 / CS6) with same result!

Is it a bug (known?) or am I doing something wrong?!

<product version="8" maxversion="8" primary="true" name="InDesign" platform="win" bit="64"/>

Any idea would be appreciated, thx, mim

• 1. Re: question about defining [bit] attribute for products in MXI file ( bug ? )
          Carl Sun Level 4

The bit attribute means the Win32 or Win64 version of the product for which this extension can be installed. It has nothing to do with the Windows OS architecture. Since InDesign CS6 has noly 32 bit version, you don't have to specify bit as "64", even if you are using Windows 64 bit.

Starting from CC, InDesign has both 32 bit and 64 bit version on Windows. But they have different product name, "InDesign" and "InDesign64" respectively. So if you only want to create the extension for 64 bit InDesign CC, you can specify:

<product version="9" name="InDesign64" />

The "primary" attribute is no longer used on CC. The product name of InDesign on Mac is still "InDesign", so "platofrm" and "bit" attributes are unnecessary to be specified in this case.

• 2. Re: question about defining [bit] attribute for products in MXI file ( bug ? )
            mim_Armand Level 1

Oh, my bad! you are right! Apparently I didn't read documentation precisely, although I read it several times! as you said it is related to the selected product and not the OS.

So we can't define OS architecture specific files in the mxi file (bunch of files just for 64 bit and bunch of others for 32 bit systems), is it right?

Thx a lot for your helpful answer,

mim

• 3. Re: question about defining [bit] attribute for products in MXI file ( bug ? )
              Carl Sun Level 4

At present there is no attributes can be used for this purpose. Is it a real requirement? I suppose in most of cases you only have to care the product is 32 bit or 64 bit.

• 4. Re: question about defining [bit] attribute for products in MXI file ( bug ? )
                mim_Armand Level 1

I can handle it after installation inside my code, but yeah I have a java program with two different versions for 32 and 64 bit architectures which communicates with my in-Design script (although I can even use 32 bit version in both with a bit loss of performance but it would've been useful since I can embed Java only in 64 bit OS and ask users to download it just in 32 bit systems (I may still by installing both files!)) but no this isn't a necessary requirement since I have bunch of different solutions to address it already, I was just wondering if it is possible.

thx again, mim,