6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 9:30 AM by jimfeet

How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog

jimfeet Level 1

I've been using Lightroom since LR1. I now have several LR 5.5 catalogs generally organized by year and camera. I want to create a new catalog which will contain my best from each catalog. BUT, I don't want to remove the photos from their "home" catalog. The photos will continue to reside in both their original catalog and in the new "Portfolio" catalog. The easiest way to approach this is to filter photos in catalog "A" by rating, select all 5-star photos and create a new catalog containing just the selection. I don't want to export or remove them from their catalog or move them on disk. I want them to appear in BOTH catalogs. Since Lightroom is built on a database that merely points to image files, it seems like this should be possible.

I realize I can create an empty catalog and select File->Import from Another Catalog... , then locate the photos one at a time by name and location clicking the import checkbox - tedious is an understatement when you have several 10's of thousands of photos.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, and you will probably disagree with me. But the dilemma you are facing is a prime example of why it's best to manage things in a single catalog. Then, all you would have to have done was create a collection that contained all of your 5-star images.The way you are trying to manage this jumbled up mess is going to create more headaches, in my opinion. Someone else will probably give you some constructive ideas.

• 2. Re: How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog
            areohbee Level 5

jimfeet wrote:

Any ideas?

Yeah: just export the 5-star photos as a catalog. You'll have to do that in each catalog where you have them.

Then create that new catalog for 5-star photos, if you haven't already.

But this time, when you import from catalogs, you don't have to pick and choose - just import the whole mess (of 5-star photos exported as catalog..).

That said, I tend to agree with Jim Hess: if you can keep them in one catalog, it will make your Lr life easier.

R

• 3. Re: How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog
              jimfeet Level 1

Yes, that's an option I've considered. But as with any database, size is inversely proportional to speed - larger database equals slower performance. LR 5 is much better than earlier versions in this regard but when you reach 100,000 images you can feel it.

Still, it might be the only viable option.

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog
                jimfeet Level 1

just export the 5-star photos as a catalog

Worked like a charm! I didn't realize the 3 checkbox options in the export dialog change when you start from a selection. Without a section, the options export much more than I wanted. The selection did exactly what I wanted.

Thanks Rob!

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

jimfeet wrote:

Yes, that's an option I've considered. But as with any database, size is inversely proportional to speed - larger database equals slower performance. LR 5 is much better than earlier versions in this regard but when you reach 100,000 images you can feel it.

This is incorrect. I accept that you think the database is getting slower, but the database (and really all databases) are designed to work pretty much the same regardless of the number of records, except for perhaps searching through the entire catalog. We have seen in this forum people who are now editing larger RAW files than a few years ago, they see it is slower, and decide it is the size of the database, rather than the size of their photos.

What aspects of Lightroom are slow? If it's scrolling and displaying the previews and searching, then it might be the database. If its displaying images in the Develop module, it is NOT the database at all.

Have you taken steps to improve the performance of the database, such as Optimizing it regularly? have you tried these performance tips: FAQ: Experiencing Performance related problems in Lightroom?

• 6. Re: How can I select 5-star photos in one catalog and use them to create a new catalog
                    jimfeet Level 1

You are correct, working on or with a specific image (record) is not affected by file (database) size. However, key wording, importing, searching all utilize indexes - which grow as the record count grows. Key wording and importing are actions that to open, update and save indexes. Queries utilize those indexes.

Lightroom benefits from being single-user and from having the database files resident on the local workstation, although the actual image files may be on an external or network drive as mine are. And 100,000 records is trivial compared to enterprise databases which often contain many Illinois of record. Still, database size, fields, index numbers and type, all make me opt for several smaller databases over a single monolithic one.

Sent from my iPad