3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2014 10:20 PM by Lor@Lightroom

Managing and external hard drive and LR with two computers

Lor@Lightroom

I use a mac desk top and laptop both loaded with light room. They share the same external hard drive. I just got back from a trip and the external hard drive. What is the workflow to work with those photos now but from my desktop lr?

• 1. Re: Managing and external hard drive and LR with two computers
          SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

It's a bit late now, but my solution is to have the images and catalog on the external. If you've done this, just plug in the drive and navigate to the .lrcat folder on the drive-double click it to open in Lightroom.

If you've got a catalog on the laptop that you want on the desktop, or to be added to the desktop catalog, attach the drive to the laptop and run Lightroom. Choose All Photographs in the Catalog panel and then File>Export as Catalog to the drive.

Close Lightroom and move the drive to the desktop. In the desktop catalog, choose Import from Catalog and choose the catalog you put on the external drive.

• 2. Re: Managing and external hard drive and LR with two computers
            Lor@Lightroom Level 1

I tried your suggestion…I think.

When I navigate from my desktop to the connected external hd I see the folder I want. The lrcat folder is down the list a bit and when I double click it it asks if I want to open it in another catalog. It has an older date by it anyway. I must have misunderstood your directions.

so

When I open LR on my desktop and look in my folders panel at my HD files, the folder I want is not there. My desktop LR does not recognize it I assume because it was created on the laptop LR.

then

If I choose IMPORT in LR on my desktop and navigate to the folder on my external HD I can see it. But if I import it, I fear that the adjustments made on the road will not come through.

I know there has got to be an easy way to do this!

• 3. Re: Managing and external hard drive and LR with two computers
              Lor@Lightroom Level 1

Actually, let me try your second suggestion. I think it may be the step I missed. Don't worry. Ill get this! Its late.