8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 1:20 PM by hugovaraujo

Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay

naim

I'm getting a really annoying lag on any move I make in Photoshop. Type tool, panning around, moving basic shapes. All having a delay.

I'm Using Photoshop CC 2014 on an iMac 10.9.4, with 24GB, 3.4 Ghz.

How can I solve this and be back to a fast photoshop?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
          Mellosa

Really I have the same delays and cursor freezing effects using all the UI elements and operating with layers (menus, tools, ALL movements) in PS CC 2014. Really annoying and slowing all the work process.

PS CC 2014 is completely unsuitable for fast working

Already tried to make some changes in Preferences > Performance. Nothing helped.

Also tried to turn off the new fast guides and extras. That had a small effect on performance. But still the last PS update is too slow comparing with previous versions. =(

I've got Win8, 24GB, 3.22GHz x 4, SSD, 64-bit.

Can I solve the problem or downgrade to last PS CC version?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Mellosa, sluggishness is not a given with Photoshop CC 2014 on Windows 8.  I have Win 8.1 and Photoshop CC 2014 is fluidly interactive; the fastest version I've experienced yet.

Chances are there's something about your computer system that Photoshop needs that it isn't providing (thinking, for example of driver bugs, not a lack of performance).

Have you visited the web site of the maker of your video card and checked to see that you're running their latest display driver release?

Have you tried resetting your preferences to defaults?  To do so, press and hold Control - Shift - Alt simultaneously (or Command - Shift - Option if on a Mac) immediately upon cold-starting Photoshop. If you get the keys down quickly enough - and you have to be really quick - it will prompt you to confirm deletion of your current preferences, which will lead to the establishment of a fresh default set. If it does not prompt you, you haven't been quick enough to get the keys down.

And yes, you can downgrade to the prior version by clicking the following:

CreativeCloudPreviousVersions.png

-Noel

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
              Mellosa Level 1

Have you tried resetting your preferences to defaults?  To do so, press and hold Control - Shift - Alt simultaneously (or Command - Shift - Option if on a Mac) immediately upon cold-starting Photoshop. If you get the keys down quickly enough - and you have to be really quick - it will prompt you to confirm deletion of your current preferences, which will lead to the establishment of a fresh default set. If it does not prompt you, you haven't been quick enough to get the keys down.

Yes. I tried.

All versions before CC 2014 were really fast with the same config.

And yes, you can downgrade to the prior version by clicking the following:

Thank you! Installing back the CC version.

ps:

PS CC vers is installed in parallel with PS CC 2014. CC is really as fast as i remember it. CC 2014 is still slow and lagged. Sad thing. 'Cos it has lots of features I'd like to use (like fast guides). =(

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
                Mellosa Level 1
                Have you visited the web site of the maker of your video card and checked to see that you're running their latest display driver release?

Driver updated for my GeForce GTX 770 4GB. Did not help.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Can you quantify the problem?  In other words, can you describe a specific step by step process that takes X amount of seconds with Photoshop CC, and X + N amount of seconds with Photoshop CC 2014?

I'm not sure Adobe has had enough feedback on this issue to be able to nail down just what's sluggish yet.  I certainly haven't been able to discern a pattern amongst the reports of it happening here to get a feel for why it should be happening.  They HAVE apparently identified a problem for Mac users having to do with having text on layers, but I'm not sure it applies to PC users.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
                    luminosmel

I had quite the same issue I experienced a major improvement changing cache levels to Tall and Thin preset (I use 2000x2000px or so images with lot of layers) and turning off antialias guides and paths in advanced 3D / graphic processor settings... Hope this helps.....

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
                      edvardkrupke Level 1

Ctrl+shift+alt did the trick for me - thank you!:)

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC & CC 2014 lag and delay
                        hugovaraujo

Guys (and girls), the solution for my problem was a little bit different. I had a notebook with an NVIDIA's card and it worked flawlessly then I switched to a Dell Inspiron 5548 with AMD R7 M265 (switchable graphics card) and this started to happen. I blamed the graphics card and I was right! I get to Preferences - Performance and turned off the "Use Graphics Processor" setting (I am not sure if this it the right name since my photoshop version is in Portuguese). It is located right next to the button "Advanced".

By turning the graphics card off I lost a lot of horsepower but it is not lagging anymore. These Intel HD Graphics are more than capable of running the program smoothly.

PS.: I was looking on the AMD's program and i found out that the graphics card still running photoshop. I have no idea why but the AMD's program is tagging photoshop as "High performance duty" and the temperature of the card gets higher after running photoshop for a bit. The performance is waaaay better than before!

I hope you all solve this freaking stupid problem!