3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 4:26 PM by ArtemusReturns

Fatal! Book not bound error on B&N Nook upload of EPUB

ArtemusReturns

When exporting to EPUB, Indesign 2014 issues the following metadata:

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

If you've modified any of the metadata with opf attributes, this leads to the error "Fatal! book not bound" when uploading to B&N Nook, and maybe other sites as well. The correction for this error is to add the opf organization into the metadata tag like this:

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"

xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">

I chose 2 lines for clarity, but as you probably know, two lines isn't required.

I also called this a "bug" on the title of this post. This is not technically correct. This error happens when you choose to use your ISBN, a URI, or anything except the internally generated UUID for your ebook which requires an opf attribute. Since UUIDs are not a guarantee at uniqueness as ISBNs, this is something I do. So, forgive the "bug" part of this post's labeling. It's not a bug, but it is certainly an issue to anyone formatting metadata to any degree of specificity, so I wanted to post the solution.

Blessings!

• 1. Re: Fatal! Book not bound error on B&N Nook upload of EPUB
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to InDesign EPUB forum

• 2. Re: Fatal! Book not bound error on B&N Nook upload of EPUB
            Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

OR the subject line could have been, "Incorrect editing of metadata by customer lead to epub validation failure! News at 11!"

In the fall update for InDesign CC we've added the xmlns:opf namespace to help avoid this common user error - InDesign does not write anything that requires it so we never put it in.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 3. Re: Fatal! Book not bound error on B&N Nook upload of EPUB
              ArtemusReturns Level 1

OR the subject could have been "Adobe engineers rush to meet marketing window and feverishly work on  patches for known defects and product inadequacy while marketing promises the world to Adobe customers." Stop blaming the customer—particularly if you are a member of the guilty party. I've been in engineering 40 years and I finally kissed MS goodbye for Apple with just one arrogant attitude too many at MS. I took a company and a college with me too. You're a powerhouse at the moment, but so was Tandem Computers before a little upstart PC upstart bought them out. Corel is on your butt and closing the gap. They aren't there, but they are doing what Borland did to Microsoft and affecting your prices, your profits, and making you come up with all sorts of "creative" plans to maintain your lead. If your CEO saw your cantankerous reply to a customer post he'd probably put you in timeout at annual review time "oh smart one". Why don't you "move" this one to your upper management.