11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2014 9:01 PM by Jordanmoorman84

Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.

Jordanmoorman84

I was working on a short project that had many video and audio clips. About 3 hours into the project Premier Elements 12 crashed. Now It will not open the saved data. It simply tells me "An unknown error occurred while opening the project"  Am I SOL? Is this what I should expect as a regular from Adobe? More importantly, is there a method to recover the project? I am a new user to Adobe Elements and video editing in general.

Thanks,

Jordan M-

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jordanmoorman84

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? When you get into a new project, please update 12 to 12.1 via the project's Help Menu/Update.

All may not be lost. Typically the program has the AutoSave feature on. Think about AutoSave as snapshots of your project as various times in its development. The feature works according to the settings in Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave.

If you are set for defaults and you have not customized any save locations, assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer, go to

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and look for the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder. Open that folder and try to open

one of the AutoSaves. To do that, right click the AutoSave file, select Open With, and then, from the menu that appears, select Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

After this immediate situation, we need to explore your project to discover why you ran into the problem that you did.

Although you characterize your problem project as a small project, what you wrote suggests otherwise.

I was working on a short project that had many video and audio clips. About 3 hours into the project Premier Elements 12 crashed.

We need to dig into project settings, properties of sources media, edits (including what was going on during those 3 hours), computer

resources, and so on.

Under no conditions move, delete, or rename any of a project's files after that project has been saved closed.

The following is an Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged project. Please review it to see if anything in it helps us

target the cause of your Premiere Elements workflow problems.

Troubleshoot damaged projects | Adobe Premiere Elements

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
            Jordanmoorman84 Level 1

After reading your post I am looking for the updates. My system is Windows 7 pro, Intel i7 processor at 3.40ghz and 4gigs of ram. I run 32 bit. I'm not too tech savvy but I think those are the specs you're asking for.

The auto save files were the files not working. The NewProject file also would not work; I never got around to naming it outside the default.

The project is short, which is what I should have said originally. There were 2 layers of audio files and 1 video on the time line that I spliced for a storyboard. I've created projects similar to this just in the last few days with no issue. This time when it crashed, the auto save files and the new project file were not able to be ran.

I might just call those 3 hours lost and I'll make sure to check for updates this time. I had assumed incorrectly that when I installed the software it would auto update.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jordanmoorman84

Thanks for the reply.

There is no guarantee that the 12.1 Update will help for your particular situation. It definitely fixed a Text/Style issue in 12, but after that it was not clear exactly what is was supposed to have fixed.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe12-update-121-released.html

If you say that you have completed similar projects recently, then check for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files.

Preview files. See Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder.

Conformed audio files. See Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and the Media Cache Files Folder.

Conformed video files. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area there.

Please review the Adobe document on damaged projects, if you have not already.

Starting a new project may be the way to go, but proceed with caution since the update may be the answer. And, the answer may reside in your Timeline content.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                Jordanmoorman84 Level 1

I've attempted to update the software. When I open the program up and go to the Help tab and Check for Updates, it tells me that it is already up to date. I've noticed through screen shots that other users' icons say 12.1 Mine does not and I still have performance issues while trying to render or upload.

My computer runs high end games at max settings, so as far as I can tell, my computer works fine. I would like to understand these updates further before I continue to analyse the issues I am having.

Also,

I ran a  Program Compatibility Test and it tells me:

Issues found:

Program Compatibility:

Incompatible Application (referring to Premiere Elements 12)

Publisher Details:

Make older programs run in this version of Windows,

Package Version 1.5

Publisher Windows.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows,

Package Version 1.0

Publisher Microsoft Corp."

Detection Details:

"Windows Version 6.1

Architecture x86"

I don't want to flood you with to many questions. My priority is to just update the darn thing to see if that is my issue. I thought I would mention the test above as additional info that might be helpful.

Thank you for your help thus far, It's been of great use.

Jordan-

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                  Jordanmoorman84 Level 1

After a few cups of coffee and burning the midnight oil, I came across this solution from Low System Memory Solution a post on Adobe forums. As the author advises, use caution and read up on this solution. As of now, I am able to upload my video in a respectable amount of time and in full 1080p hd!

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jordanmoorman84

Thanks for the update and glad you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements project(s). But.....

Reminder...you are running Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 32 bit. Under that condition, Premiere Elements 12 or 12.1 is running as a 32 bit application with all the limitations of a 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 GB or less of that are available. This has major implications related to the chance for a successful larger project completion. Premiere Elements 12 is a 64 bit application in Windows ONLY when it is run on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Under that condition, Premiere Elements 12 can take advantage of the greater 64 bit application resources to get those larger project done at a greater success frequency.

Initially you said that you were able to complete successfully projects that were similar to the problem project under the existing conditions. At no time did you mention any low memory messages.

The fix that appears to be working for you involves virtual memory not physical memory (RAM). Virtual memory is essentially hard drive space that is allocated for memory purposes.  In view of recent developments, it would seem that the real fix for you is to install your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Window 7 64 bit with about 8 GB installed RAM. I will go into a fuller discussion of virtual and physical memory and the 3 GB Switch if necessary.

Although you have found a way to move forward in your projects (that is great), please review and consider the above.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jordanmoorman84

I think that I got distracted by your post numbered 5, and did not respond to

I've attempted to update the software. When I open the program up and go to the Help tab and Check for Updates, it tells me that it is already up to date. I've noticed through screen shots that other users' icons say 12.1 Mine does not and I still have performance issues while trying to render or upload.

My computer runs high end games at max settings, so as far as I can tell, my computer works fine. I would like to understand these updates further before I continue to analyse the issues I am having.

If open a Premiere Elements 12 project to the Expert workspace and go to Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements, you should see Version 12.1 just above the scrolling material if you have successfully updated 12 to 12.1. Also determine if the same exists in the Elements Organizer 12. For a what there is to know about this 12 to 12.1 Update, please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: 12.1 Update Released

The only other updates that you are likely to get is the Camera Update. Version 12/12.1 is up to Camera Raw 8.5.

With the Camera Raw plugin installed in Premiere Elements, you can import the raw image format and dng format image into a project

to act as source media. Camera Raw Editor is available only when you have Photoshop Elements installed.

Please refer to my post 6 which is probably more relevant to any performance issues you may be having with your larger project in particular.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                        Jordanmoorman84 Level 1

The system memory was a new indication, which was helpful to diagnose my problem. Long term I will want to upgrade my system for the 64 bit but for now the boost in virtual memory is sufficient.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jordan-

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                          Jordanmoorman84 Level 1

To any viewers reading these post, I have found that my 32 bit system runs perfectly fine, if I render the video clips as I go. That might have been a obvious thing to do for most but it was my first week ever using a video editing software. I highly suggest rendering as you go if you're having issues. The only time my software freezes is on occasion when I attempt to apply a special effect. I hope this helps anyone with issues of their software freezing up on them or running rather slowly.

Jordan-

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jordan

Thank you for your follow up report on your observations on your workflow with which you had problems.

There are a lot of ifs in Premiere Elements 12 as a 32 bit application, especially in applying high resource demanding effects and features to the project as well as aim for a larger project. But, for the smaller projects and less resource demanding features, Premiere Elements 12 as a 32 bit application may do well and get the task accomplished.

Best wishes moving forward.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crash, lost all saved data on a new project.
                              Jordanmoorman84 Level 1

It does very well on a 32 bit system. I film bands live, I only add small filler clips and have a external audio file that I sync. Nothing too crazy.  In this video I shot this weekend (league of Liars - YouTube) I had zero issues with the program. It ran smooth. Think of the video just as an example, for anyone wondering what you can easily do with a 32 bit system.

Regarding performance, for anyone having issues, rendering video clips as you go really helps my system out and there are settings that can effect your rendering speed. I don't know enough in detail to guide anyone through those steps, but there are people such as A.T. Romano in the forums that be of much greater assistance.